• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Honestly, probably not.. On the same note we are lucky to have the gun laws we do in IN. Their are several states that cant say the same thing.. All I am saying is, Is it really going to hurt you to fork out a one time fee of 20 dollars to get a copy that is legal? I just dont see the big deal about it.. It seems like everyone is trying to find the cheap easy way out even if its not legal.. I can make a copy of a $100 bill look real also.. That dont mean I want to take the chance on getting caught with it..

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And once again I will ask if I had you copy on pink paper can you tell the difference? I can not and probably no one outside of an extremely well funded lab can not either.

And once it's been laminated, could even the well funded lab tell the difference?

"A difference that makes no difference, is no difference." William James

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Honestly, probably not.. On the same note we are lucky to have the gun laws we do in IN. Their are several states that cant say the same thing.. All I am saying is, Is it really going to hurt you to fork out a one time fee of 20 dollars to get a copy that is legal? I just dont see the big deal about it.. It seems like everyone is trying to find the cheap easy way out even if its not legal.. I can make a copy of a $100 bill look real also.. That dont mean I want to take the chance on getting caught with it..
    $20 for a piece of paper that probably costs them $0.55 to print and mail is a ripoff.

The way I see it, their records already show that you are licensed. That pink card just displays the information the officer needs to verify it.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Same thing could be said about your DL but will a copy be legal? I am not saying you cant get away with making a copy of the LTCH but it just seems like people work harder on trying to get out of the problem than what its worth.. I mean some people are talking about going to jail over it and then think that is no harm as long as they get their name cleared at a later date.. If you feel its worth going to jail over then more power to ya.. Im just saying a little 20 dollar bill can save all the trouble..

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It has already been stated that several have shown only copies to LEO's. Also it has been stated by several LEO they do not care if it is a copy or not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    People need to get the DL vs. LTCH comparison out of their heads-- they're completely different. I could understand the argument if our LTCHs were similar to the Utah permits, but they're not.

DLs take GREAT effort to make sure they cannot be copied, with holograms, watermarks, etc. This is because the license itself (the plastic card) is to be used for ID purposes to MANY different people, be it a bank teller, bouncer, or LEO.

LTCHs are only used to be shown to LEOs, who must call to check the information anyway. That is why they are simply printed on a single sheet of pink 20# paper. The only thing the actual license (paper license) is for is as an "information carrier". Its simply a reflection of the information on hand with the State Police.

While I don't condone carrying a blatant copy (full size piece of white paper), making a proper copy is not an issue.

Also keep in mind that even under the harshest scrutiny, no "lab" would be able to distinguish an "issued" vs. "copy", unless the State is now using paper that only they have access to, and print with ink only they can provide.

If you want to spend the $20 (per copy) for the state to pull up your info, load the pink paper in their standard printer, hit "print", and mail you the additional copy, that's fine too.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    I have to throw this out here, The State uses the lowest bidder on everything! I dont think that ISP spends extra money on common Pink Paper. They dont care if it is from Hammermill or ?? It is just pink paper. They didnt spend lots of money to have a paper company to develope a paper that cant be copied, lets be real about it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just so we're clear SWAMPMASTER, that was my point exactly. Since the State is using common materials, there is not way to distinguish a "real" from a "copy".

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did the Staples thing precisely because the license issued by the state will not reasonably last a lifetime. I had four copies made in the exact same size and color. I then individually signed each one before they were laminated so that each has an authentic signature on them. I store the original with my other important documents and scatter the four copies in places where I will be sure to have one if I'm ever required to produce it. There is no way possible to determine that my copies are not original if for some reason anyone thought that important. I have a valid permit and I will produce evidence to its existance when required.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Be realistic. How often do you pull out your LTCH? I may take it out 2 -3 times a year when I buy another gun. Other that that it stays in my wallet. If it is laminated it will look good for years. My old ones looked almost as good after 4 years as when I first got them, so if you laminate your lifetime and get 3 times the life out of it and have to get a copy you will still be ahead of the game as far as not having to pay renewal fees every 4 years.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    In 20 years of carrying, I have never been asked for a license except by a gun dealer back when they used to do the Sheriff notices on handgun purchases unless you had a license.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And once it's been laminated, could even the well funded lab tell the difference?

I say no. Once it's laminated, unless it's a really, really bad copy, there's not going to be a way to prove authenticity unless the ISP uses some kind of proprietary toner or ink (which is so unlikely that we can dismiss it). If nothing else, one could argue that the heat and pressure from the lamination process can and will alter the toner adhered to the paper.

Cutting the lamination open and removing it from the copy or original is also going to alter what is on the paper.

There might be a chance if they use a laser printer/copier and the copy is done with an inkjet, or vice versa.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another thing ... if you want your license to last, use a thicker laminate. If you only have access to the super thin, flimsy laminating envelopes, laminate it three or four times. I did the latter before I got thicker laminating envelopes and my LTCH is about as rigid as a credit card. It's going to last a good long while.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    So, you make a copy and get it laminated.
    Officer: "Is this your original LTCH?"
    You: "Why yes it is officer"
    OR?
    You: "This is a copy sir, i keep the original in a safe at home"

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    you say this is a copy... anything else and they could get you for obstructing justice.

but no one is going to say hmmm this pink paper is slightly a different shade of pink then the one i saw 2 weeks ago or even an hour ago. i have a hard enough time remembering my phone number how is a cop gonna remember the exact shade of pink a LTCH is espiecally if you use the exact color and type of paper.

when people keep saying why do people want to go to jail... we aren't saying we wanna go to jail just that if the worst of the unbelievable happened nothing really bad can happen.

-zack-

-zack-

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Today I saw a friend copy his LTCH onto his computer, run a piece of photo paper through one time each for the front and back in a just pink, then print out four copies of the LTCH on that sheet, signed them, and "laminated" them with packaging tape.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Today I saw a friend copy his LTCH onto his computer, run a piece of photo paper through one time each for the front and back in a just pink, then print out four copies of the LTCH on that sheet, signed them, and "laminated" them with packaging tape.

You friend is going to the slammer!!!!!!!

Say good by!

Buckaroo

Top Bottom