Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Interesting.

New Data on T Cells and the Coronavirus

Does Exposure to Animals Provide Immunity to COVID-19?

Having pets and/or agrarian lifestyle (i.e. exposure to animals) may provide some protection from or mitigate the effects of COVID 19. My vet told me he has a theory that exposure to cats may provide some protection but we did not have time to discuss. I wonder it it was along these lines.

Some highlights, if I understand correctly:
    - Having antibodies is not the end-all be-all of immunity, and the apparent rapid waning of Covid 19 antibodies after someone recovers does not necessarily mean they are losing immunity. T-cell immunity may be what we should hope for.
    - There are who were exposed to SARS one of the corona viruses) 17 years ago still had T-cells specific to SARS that also reacted to Covid 19 virus (which is formally called SARS-CoV-2) -- thus indicating that T-cells immunity may be long-lasting.
    - There people who had no known exposure to SARS or COVID 19 virus but still had T-cell immunity to it, and their particular T-cells were created responding to corona virus fragments the did not resemble SARS/Covid nor common cold, but do resemble corona viruses common in animals (and apparently provide some protection from Covid 19 virus).

Having these T-cell immunities may not completely prevent you from getting Covid 19, but may lessen its severity.

Good kitty!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And here I've only grudgingly tolerated the cats and the small horse. Turns out they may actually be good for something.

Bo-80.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If my cat finds out, it'll just make him more smug.

Of course, this could always be a ploy by vets - always follow the money. :):

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Interesting.

New Data on T Cells and the Coronavirus

Does Exposure to Animals Provide Immunity to COVID-19?

Having pets and/or agrarian lifestyle (i.e. exposure to animals) may provide some protection from or mitigate the effects of COVID 19. My vet told me he has a theory that exposure to cats may provide some protection but we did not have time to discuss. I wonder it it was along these lines.

Some highlights, if I understand correctly:
    - Having antibodies is not the end-all be-all of immunity, and the apparent rapid waning of Covid 19 antibodies after someone recovers does not necessarily mean they are losing immunity. T-cell immunity may be what we should hope for.
    - There are who were exposed to SARS one of the corona viruses) 17 years ago still had T-cells specific to SARS that also reacted to Covid 19 virus (which is formally called SARS-CoV-2) -- thus indicating that T-cells immunity may be long-lasting.
    - There people who had no known exposure to SARS or COVID 19 virus but still had T-cell immunity to it, and their particular T-cells were created responding to corona virus fragments the did not resemble SARS/Covid nor common cold, but do resemble corona viruses common in animals (and apparently provide some protection from Covid 19 virus).

Having these T-cell immunities may not completely prevent you from getting Covid 19, but may lessen its severity.

Good kitty!

Dude!!! Dont talk about the T cells!!
    Did you not learn anything from TV! ;)
    [video=youtube_share;L5_X_j97PgY]https://youtu.be/L5_X_j97PgY[/video]

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We jad/have an ingo member on here that is in love with the actress of those movies so yeah.

The first one was ok. The rest hum... let's just pretend it was one. :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We jad/have an ingo member on here that is in love with the actress of those movies so yeah.

The first one was ok. The rest hum... let's just pretend it was one. :)

Any movie with an Orthodox Christian in the headlining role is automatically great!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If my cat finds out, it'll just make him more smug.

Of course, this could always be a ploy by vets - always follow the money. :):

Exactly! A kitten for everyone!

I have been hearing that theory for several months and hope it has some merit. We have lost some small animal vets to Covid so obviously it's far from "protective" but it might be a partial factor. Cats do have a lot of coronavirus exposure. But for that matter, so do humans I think. It's just usually a more mild coronavirus.

Now shoveling the manure will make me smile, knowing it will improve my immunity. Not just fun to do but good for me too. Bonus.
    I feel fairly comfortable with manure cleaned out in the fresh air or open-sided barn. I do wear an N95 and glasses when cleaning out my chicken or duck houses. There are definitely things in there I don't want to inhale repeatedly.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Exactly! A kitten for everyone!

I have been hearing that theory for several months and hope it has some merit. We have lost some small animal vets to Covid so obviously it's far from "protective" but it might be a partial factor. Cats do have a lot of coronavirus exposure. But for that matter, so do humans I think. It's just usually a more mild coronavirus.

I feel fairly comfortable with manure cleaned out in the fresh air or open-sided barn. I do wear an N95 and glasses when cleaning out my chicken or duck houses. There are definitely things in there I don't want to inhale repeatedly.

One of my vets (there are two at the clinic) said he thought exposure to cats might provide some protection. The other vet did get corona virus about three weeks ago anyway but... his wife is a nurse at the respiratory unit at the local hospital, so I think he probably got it from her (she got sick too). No one else at the vet clinic got covid. When the vet who got covid got well he told me he felt really crummy for the first couple days, had some flu symptoms and shortness of breath. After that he felt fine, just his stamina was down. He'd get up early, work on his acreage until about 11 am, then he was bushed and needed to take a nap in the afternoon. I told him "Welcome to being old!"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of my vets (there are two at the clinic) said he thought exposure to cats might provide some protection. The other vet did get corona virus about three weeks ago anyway but... his wife is a nurse at the respiratory unit at the local hospital, so I think he probably got it from her (she got sick too). No one else at the vet clinic got covid. When the vet who got covid got well he told me he felt really crummy for the first couple days, had some flu symptoms and shortness of breath. After that he felt fine, just his stamina was down. He'd get up early, work on his acreage until about 11 am, then he was bushed and needed to take a nap in the afternoon. I told him "Welcome to being old!"

Yeah, I was going to say that seems perfectly normal to me! :):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I say take back all of your freedom.

No masks. No distancing. No traffic lights. No speed limits. No lane markings. No food safety regs. No fire resistance ratings on kids clothes. No nothing that you don't want to do. Nothing.

Don't really need laws, or enforcement, to have these things still be universally preferable for the general public, and be adhered to by almost everyone.

For a good 3 or 4 months in my area I hadn't seen a single cop. People still used traffic lights and stop signs; speed limits got blown out where they were unreasonably low, but that's about all.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Is the china virus still considered a pandemic even though the death rate is not at pandemic levels? I thought I heard recently that the death rate is not even close?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom