• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    So is this "black vs. white" thing more related to other factors like economics, access to healthcare, willingness to take precautions, etc.?

Just anecdotally, as I watch the drug house across the street and the comings and goings (95% black), it's clear they aren't taking it seriously.

For Covid (and many other health issues) it seems to track with higher rates of obesity and diabetes... there is also a theory that it interacts with sickle cell. COVID is spread via the respiratory tract, but it is a blood disease.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So is this "black vs. white" thing more related to other factors like economics, access to healthcare, willingness to take precautions, etc.?

Just anecdotally, as I watch the drug house across the street and the comings and goings (95% black), it's clear they aren't taking it seriously.

As far as contracting: Population density higher (urban, less home ownership, more apartments, more people in a single home), inter-generational households and contact.

As far as worse outcomes: Waiting longer to seek care, high level of comorbidities, access to healthcare (as you said)...

I have not seen the numbers, but I would be curious to see what the difference is between middle class and higher whites and middle class and higher blacks. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that there is very little difference. I would also guess that among poorer whites and blacks there would be a higher prevalence with blacks because poor whites are less urban and tend to live in less densely populated conditions.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Hmmm... I wonder if these two are related...

Unemployment Is 60% Higher in Blue States Than Red

T6z38mf.png

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As far as contracting: Population density higher (urban, less home ownership, more apartments, more people in a single home), inter-generational households and contact.

As far as worse outcomes: Waiting longer to seek care, high level of comorbidities, access to healthcare (as you said)...

I have not seen the numbers, but I would be curious to see what the difference is between middle class and higher whites and middle class and higher blacks. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that there is very little difference. I would also guess that among poorer whites and blacks there would be a higher prevalence with blacks because poor whites are less urban and tend to live in less densely populated conditions.

Comorbidities (obesity, diabetes) and access to health care, plus living in more crowded homes are factors that span across races but unfortunately more common in blacks.

However, while I have by no means personally read all of the studies, I've heard them summarized by some reliable sources. There still appears to be a higher fatality rate in blacks. One theory is Vitamin D deficiency. I think that's getting too little attention. It may very well turn out to be a correlating (not causative) risk factor. Nonetheless, it's so cheap and easy to provide that I wish it were getting more press.

Blacks living in northern climates have a very difficult time maintaining normal Vitamin D levels.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Comorbidities (obesity, diabetes) and access to health care, plus living in more crowded homes are factors that span across races but unfortunately more common in blacks.

However, while I have by no means personally read all of the studies, I've heard them summarized by some reliable sources. There still appears to be a higher fatality rate in blacks. One theory is Vitamin D deficiency. I think that's getting too little attention. It may very well turn out to be a correlating (not causative) risk factor. Nonetheless, it's so cheap and easy to provide that I wish it were getting more press.

Blacks living in northern climates have a very difficult time maintaining normal Vitamin D levels.

Listen to Fauci, the only things you to do to stay healthy in 2020 is: (1) stay home; (2) wear a mask; (3) socially distance; and (4) wash your hands. Thats it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Studies Point To Big Drop In COVID-19 Death Rates

Kind of surprised to see this being reported by NPR.

Yep, that's specifically a lower fatality rate amongst those who go to the hospital. Doctors are fine-tuning their treatment protocol and I think less people are ending up in the ICU.

We still need to make sure the docs have a fighting chance. Doubling of the hospitalization the past month, with no evidence of virus mitigation taking place, is concerning for the next 2 months.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yep, that's specifically a lower fatality rate amongst those who go to the hospital. Doctors are fine-tuning their treatment protocol and I think less people are ending up in the ICU.

We still need to make sure the docs have a fighting chance. Doubling of the hospitalization the past month, with no evidence of virus mitigation taking place, is concerning for the next 2 months.

The way I read those data, that "hospitalization" includes same-day admissions/discharges. The total bed usage didn't appear to be going up commensurately with the "doubling" of "hospitalizations". I could very-well have misread/misunderstood, though.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

Yup and yup... current COVID hospitalizations in Indiana are 1425 as of 10/19. The past month or so shows a definite upward trend in COVID hospitalizations, i.e. serious cases.

TwxldCp.png

The way I read those data, that "hospitalization" includes same-day admissions/discharges. The total bed usage didn't appear to be going up commensurately with the "doubling" of "hospitalizations". I could very-well have misread/misunderstood, though.

It reads
    the dashboard as the number of PUI COVID patients in a hospital bed on that given day on.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Covid inpatients have almost doubled, as sheepdog just illustrated. Daily admissions compared to a month ago are also nearly doubled on a per day basis (obviously with more fluctuation when looking at "per day")

This is the kind of disease where we need to sit upright the moment hospitalizations even tick up a bit, because those people being admitted were likely exposed 2 weeks earlier. It takes weeks to turn around the trends with this disease.

Meanwhile, the virus may do even better (I mean "better" if you're the virus and you are looking for wood to burn) going forward as restaurants are closing patios and I believe IPS is just now going back to in-person school.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yup and yup... current COVID hospitalizations in Indiana are 1425 as of 10/19. The past month or so shows a definite upward trend in COVID hospitalizations, i.e. serious cases.

TwxldCp.png

It reads
    the dashboard as the number of PUI COVID patients in a hospital bed on that given day on.

Remind me: Blue Line is what, and Gray Line is what? And the difference between "Census" and "Admissions" is what?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Covid inpatients have almost doubled, as sheepdog just illustrated. Daily admissions compared to a month ago are also nearly doubled on a per day basis (obviously with more fluctuation when looking at "per day")

This is the kind of disease where we need to sit upright the moment hospitalizations even tick up a bit, because those people being admitted were likely exposed 2 weeks earlier. It takes weeks to turn around the trends with this disease.

Meanwhile, the virus may do even better (I mean "better" if you're the virus and you are looking for wood to burn) going forward as restaurants are closing patios and I believe IPS is just now going back to in-person school.

I might sit upright if Indiana's population was 3000 but not 6.7 million.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Remind me: Blue Line is what, and Gray Line is what? And the difference between "Census" and "Admissions" is what?

I should have said "confirmed and PUI". The blue shading is confirmed COVID. The gray shading is PUI - patients under investigation - which they say are severe respiratory symptoms, and my assumption, without test results to be confirmed COVID or negative, not COVID.

The upward trend over the last month is confirmed COVID cases hospitalized.

Census is butts in hospital beds that day... admissions is admitted that day. Daily admissions are likewise trending up, almost doubling, over the past month.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom