• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I do know that old Hoppes did work on salts, but due to the chemical used, it had to removed due to health concerns. The new Hoppes says it cleans corrosive residue in the FAQ (hey, do we have one of those here?:dunno:) and SOME labels. On the MSDS, section 1, there is no mention of it at all. Labels, FAQs, advertising, etc. aren't held to the same standards that MSDSs are. .More than likely it will, but simply by the physical action of working a brush through the barrel several times (per Hoppes own instructions) followed by a wet patch or 3. If by chance it did actually remove corrosive residue, then there would be no need for their black powder solvent, as potassium nitrite is first cousin to potassium chloride, and the best solvent for both is, drum roll please, water. Guess what the main ingredient in no. 9 plus is?

Indy, I've read the same thing about whizzing down the barrel. Guess it would work, but there are other "things" in there that could also cause corrosion.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chemically speaking, one doesn't "neutralize" a salt.

Ingredients of Hoppe's #9 solvent:

Kerosene - organics solvent
    Ethyl Alcohol - organics solvent
    Oleic Acid (trace) - detergent
    Amyl Acetate - I can't figure this one out, it does contribute to the odor of the stuff, though
    Ammonium Hydroxide (aqueous ammonia) - copper solvent

KCl is only barely soluble in ammonia.
    It is slightly soluble in ethyl alcohol.
    It isn't soluble in kerosene

As I've said before, one doesn't "neutralize" a salt.

You can dissolve the salt (With water!) or you can physically remove the salt using whatever liquid / patches you want. Hoppe's #9, as a liquid, will certainly assist in physically removing the salts from the firearm. In that regard, yes, Hoppe's #9 can be used to clean a firearm that's been used with corrosively-primed ammo.

The end game of all this: to be sure that your firearm doesn't corrode / rust.

If / when I shoot surplus corrosively-primed ammo out of my AK, I'll douse the barrel, chamber, and gas tube with some water. Then I'll get rid of the water. Then I MIGHT work on cleaning the other gunk out (probably with either Hoppe's #9 or CLP). Then I'll lube it back up and store it.

Top Bottom