• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I don't think anyone's arguing that Destro. But because it's the best, means it can't be subject to scrutiny and criticism for obvious errors and miscarriages of justice?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    it's still the best in the world
    Says who? Other countries may have really ****ed up laws, but there are other court systems out there that may do it better. We have to distinguish the law and the court. Sure, in the UK you can be thrown in jail for shooting someone in self defense. But is that an artifact of their ****ty self defense laws, or the court system?

One country, forget which but could go look for it if it's really necessary, has separate trials -- first to determine whether a crime has in fact been committed, then to determine whether or not this person committed it. This gets around the perp-walk bias. It turns out that if you put a person in the defendant's chair and accuse them of a crime, they can be convicted just because they've been accused, EVEN IF the facts don't support the idea that a crime was committed in the first place.

And if our court system were the best, why would that necessarily mean it didn't need improvement? We've got massive fraud coast to coast, in the field of criminal forensics. It's been documented and reported, and more is being uncovered. Crime labs process evidence usually at the behest of the prosecution, which gives incentives for corrupted testimony (see Hayne, Stephen). Why don't we have competing labs, double-blind labs, or compulsory matching funds for the defense?

To blithely assert that the system is just fine and dandy is to ignore the masses of people who've been wrongfully convicted and later set free because it was found that they were factually innocent. That is not the system "working", that's the system screwing up. It is not the product of a system to be proud of or to put your trust in. All of us are one fishy-looking self-defense shoot away from being in the meat grinder, losing our houses, jobs, families, and everything else, and it won't matter how rosy we think the picture is.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    But Fletch, you can't possibly be insinuating that District Attorneys and other non-uniformed law enforcement officers would ever be willing to imprison a man simply to maintain political viability, especially if a particular case is of a high enough profile can you? That's unthinkable.

Yes I am saying that. It is time to remove immunity from District Attorney's. They ruin people lives all the time for nothing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If this man needs a firearm, hypothetically speaking I would gladly give him one of mine.
    He got screwed because the cops, the DA, the Judge and his own lawyer are all licensed by the State or employed by the State.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Says who? Other countries may have really ****ed up laws, but there are other court systems out there that may do it better. We have to distinguish the law and the court. Sure, in the UK you can be thrown in jail for shooting someone in self defense. But is that an artifact of their ****ty self defense laws, or the court system?

One country, forget which but could go look for it if it's really necessary, has separate trials -- first to determine whether a crime has in fact been committed, then to determine whether or not this person committed it. This gets around the perp-walk bias. It turns out that if you put a person in the defendant's chair and accuse them of a crime, they can be convicted just because they've been accused, EVEN IF the facts don't support the idea that a crime was committed in the first place.

And if our court system were the best, why would that necessarily mean it didn't need improvement? We've got massive fraud coast to coast, in the field of criminal forensics. It's been documented and reported, and more is being uncovered. Crime labs process evidence usually at the behest of the prosecution, which gives incentives for corrupted testimony (see Hayne, Stephen). Why don't we have competing labs, double-blind labs, or compulsory matching funds for the defense?

To blithely assert that the system is just fine and dandy is to ignore the masses of people who've been wrongfully convicted and later set free because it was found that they were factually innocent. That is not the system "working", that's the system screwing up. It is not the product of a system to be proud of or to put your trust in. All of us are one fishy-looking self-defense shoot away from being in the meat grinder, losing our houses, jobs, families, and everything else, and it won't matter how rosy we think the picture is.

says me, the only opinion that matters to me

perp-walk bias? see Florida vs. Anthony (right decision by the way)

I never said anything about the justice system not needing improvement or that there is never injustice in our system, I simply said we have the best justice system in the world, I did not say we had a perfect justice system.

I had never been more proud to live in the United States the day Casey Anthony was found not guilty

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    says me, the only opinion that matters to me
    :rolleyes:

perp-walk bias? see Florida vs. Anthony (right decision by the way)
    See OP.

I never said anything about the justice system not needing improvement or that there is never injustice in our system, I simply said we have the best justice system in the world, I did not say we had a perfect justice system.

But you are opining that the innocent should just maintain their innocence. Innocence is no defense in our system, a fact which you are studiously ignoring.

I had never been more proud to live in the United States the day Casey Anthony was found not guilty

That she was found not guilty was a good thing, but I don't see it as representative of the system as a whole.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    :rolleyes:

But you are opining that the innocent should just maintain their innocence.

as I have stated, he made a choice, and actions have consquences. I feel pretty comfortable saying those guilty (or admit to) of manslaughter should not be allowed to own firearms, regardless of "circumstances"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Perhaps. But you will be hard pressed to find a better case for a pardon than Cory Maye.

The Governor of Mississippi should immediately pardon Mr. Maye, introduce a private bill to award Mr. Maye compensation for this debacle and then do whatever he can to destroy the war on drugs.

I know, I know, it's Mississippi and you all saw Cory Maye. Tis a pity. I hope Cory finds a way to vacate this case some day.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I feel pretty comfortable saying those guilty (or admit to) of manslaughter should not be allowed to own firearms, regardless of "circumstances"

Not be allowed? Who should allow or not allow someone to keep or bear arms? Our government is not allowed to infringe on that RIGHT. Have you taken an Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Our troops are fighting a war. In a war, people fight back. If you want to declare war on the American people, we will fight back. Do you want us to start fighting back?

Of course they don't. That's why they shoot first and cover up later.

as I have stated, he made a choice, and actions have consquences. I feel pretty comfortable saying those guilty (or admit to) of manslaughter should not be allowed to own firearms, regardless of "circumstances"

Are you being purposely obtuse?

Simplistic was a good description of your position.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Not be allowed? Who should allow or not allow someone to keep or bear arms? Our government is not allowed to infringe on that RIGHT. Have you taken an Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States?

what makes it ok to put somebody in prison? is that not infringing on somebody's right?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did I miss something, wasn't this guy linked to drug dealing?

Who is "this guy"? Jaime Smith or Cory Maye?*

Cory Maye was linked to being black in Mississippi and having a knucklehead of a neighbor in the duplex.

Cory Maye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neither Cory Maye or Jaime Smith were prosecuted for drug dealing. Smith was never prosecuted and Maye was prosecuted for Murder in the shooting of the officer breaking into his house.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's an RTV interview with Cory on his first day out. Glad to see him home, safe and sound, (despite certain peoples best attempts to see him dead).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5mGieJa74&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    so now, even if the police have a seach warrant, is still "breaking into" someones home?

Did you read what happened?

Do you understand why Jones was there?

Do you understand the shoddy police work that was involved to obtain the warrant? Just because the police have a warrant does not mean that the warrant is legal or that they executed it in a legal manner.

Do you understand how Jones entered? Did you listen to Cory? He repeatedly described it as a "break in"? Cory was there.

Yes, that is breaking into someone's home.

Cory Maye is out, praise the Lord, his case now demands an immediate pardon. (Yes, I remember that this is Mississippi).

Top Bottom