• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yeah, the suburban looks great. Unfortunately, the paint is almost gone on the roof, and trunk lid.

Maybe just have those two painted, and polish the rest to cut costs.

At the cost of a decent paint job it might be more economical to trade his car in on a better vehicle. It's a number's game you'll play one way or another.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Wife got a quote from a shop in town, $6000. LOL

Leaning toward color match rattle can for the trunk and roof, and try to restore the rest.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck, man! I've cheated enough with a rattle can in my time to know that it can be done. It just takes an eternity to properly layer enough paint on to be able to work it down to something decent later. You're talking a dozen or more coats to get enough on to wet sand and buff out because spray paint goes on so thin.

Gotta say... There's absolutely something to be said for being a young guy, no car payment, and no actual concern over said paid off car. I'm a big fan of beaters. Just letting it go and spending the effort elsewhere is always an option. My first 2 S10s in my early 20s were complete piles cosmetically and they saved me all sorts of grief due to that. Best vehicles I've ever owned!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Taking another bend; is the boy gonna really appreciate fixing up his car or will he treat it like most youths today do?

Maybe just buy the boy a nice rifle to look forward to coming home on breaks and going shooting with dad?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Good luck, man! I've cheated enough with a rattle can in my time to know that it can be done. It just takes an eternity to properly layer enough paint on to be able to work it down to something decent later. You're talking a dozen or more coats to get enough on to wet sand and buff out because spray paint goes on so thin.

Gotta say... There's absolutely something to be said for being a young guy, no car payment, and no actual concern over said paid off car. I'm a big fan of beaters. Just letting it go and spending the effort elsewhere is always an option. My first 2 S10s in my early 20s were complete piles cosmetically and they saved me all sorts of grief due to that. Best vehicles I've ever owned!

It’s a way better car than I had at that age.

I think I had 4 cheap old G-Bodies by the time I was 20. Two Regals, two Monte Carlos. One being held together with bubble gum, one bad transmission, one blown engine, last one was traded off for a car payment.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have had a chat with a "friend" who paints. It is almost cheaper to go to a trade school, pay to learn how to paint, then do it yourself. Getting a car painted has become so expensive.

I agree with others on here about going to Maaco. There are some good and some bad Maaco shops. Luckily in Fort Wayne we have a decent one.

I was going to recommend the trade school route as well. I (used to) know the teacher at Area 31 Career Center, a high school vocational school attached to Ben Davis High School on Indy’s far west side, and they do (at least did) this as well. Put out pretty decent work too.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I painted this in my driveway 20 years ago, I used Cat yellow @ $20 bucks a gallon, prep and a quality sealer is how you get a quality paint job.

This is the secret. Do your own prep and use Tractor/Equipment paint.
    Racecar builders have been doing this for years. Even find emergency supplies at the local TSC/BigR/Diesel Mechanics on short notice.

As you've found, automotive paints are way expensive these days due to the formulations.
    Using it is expensive due to all of the equipment needed/consumed.
    Labor isn't free, especially in this economy. Good bodymen are up to their ears in well paying work.

Top Bottom