• ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Yeah, it’s a cheap car.

immaculate interior, and engine compartment, (old lady car) with only 40,000 miles, but it is still a 2006 Hyundai Elantra, doesn’t warrant a $3000 paint job.

Not up on new tech like wrapping, or plasti-dip, I’ll have to check it out.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    That's an impressive transformation. I'd try a small spot on the OP's car if it were mine, depending on how bad it is. Lot of work, though.

Have you tried to polish it and bring the paint back. My suburban came from Arizona and the paint was very oxidized. We wet sanded/polished the whole truck and brought it back to an acceptable level. There are some places where it's a bit thin but we can touch those up without having to hire someone. My husband is pretty good with the paint gun just addressing areas as needed. Without a proper paint booth, doing the whole truck here would be a challenge due to dust, bugs, etc. We bought a variable speed polisher and that helped significantly. Used some of the Meguiar products.

This is the side not done as he was working on the hood.

Y3FH8JY.jpg

This is the side he had done.

ZIXnXxL.jpg

Back doors...

GbKy2Ey.jpg

I think it turned out rather well.

SydKaPl.jpg

ZRqyzUi.jpg

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Yeah, the suburban looks great. Unfortunately, the paint is almost gone on the roof, and trunk lid.

Maybe just have those two painted, and polish the rest to cut costs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Considering the size of my truck, I thought it went fairly quickly. It took a few days but the power buffer made a huge difference. I think the Makita polisher was around $200 plus what the polishing compounds cost. Probably less than $300 for us to do the work and get it cleaned up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yeah, the suburban looks great. Unfortunately, the paint is almost gone on the roof, and trunk lid.

I have a few spots on the roof and the hood that are pretty thin after the wet sanding, but my husband will probably repaint those. I hate to think what a shop would charge me to repaint my truck.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Your car is almost certainly base coat / clear coat. You can't really polish that up that way you could the old enamel paints. Once the clear is damaged to the point that it's effecting the color, the game is pretty much over.

If it's really just 2 panels that look extra terrible... You can get factory color matched rattle cans (either online or custom mixed at an automotive paint store) and just bomb it in the garage or the driveway. 2 panels really isn't all that much car to paint... Early spring JUST before the bugs and lawn mowers come out you might get a chance at doing it outside if the weather is just right. You can cut rattle canned paint up to something very nice with a bit of work and the price is certainly right, but slightly spendy for spray paint. I think the last couple of cans I bought are about 1/2 size and double price, so about 4x more than regular spray paint.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If it was my project, I would rough it with the orbital sander, bondo any dings, tape the jambs, and color match it in single stage, but when it's at least 73° out. And call it done. I would just have to buy the paint and a party tent. Masking everything would suck.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have had a chat with a "friend" who paints. It is almost cheaper to go to a trade school, pay to learn how to paint, then do it yourself. Getting a car painted has become so expensive.

I agree with others on here about going to Maaco. There are some good and some bad Maaco shops. Luckily in Fort Wayne we have a decent one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had a chat with a "friend" who paints. It is almost cheaper to go to a trade school, pay to learn how to paint, then do it yourself. Getting a car painted has become so expensive.

I agree with others on here about going to Maaco. There are some good and some bad Maaco shops. Luckily in Fort Wayne we have a decent one.

Look at what Fed. regulations have done to the industry. I have a good friend that retired recently instead of making the next hurdle the douche bags were forcing him to do.
    Downdraft filtered booths with environmental systems. The cost of these are insane.
    $700 a gallon for water based paint and then the reducers etc to cut it for spray out.
    The full body suits and respirators……..All just stupid insane spendy.

Do these items clean it up and make it safe to paint......yes.

I painted this car 29 years ago. All totaled with the new passenger quarter it was salty for the day but doable. Painted in a heated garage in the country. Single stage.
    I missed some fitment on the door so don't judge OK.
    OHcpPqt.jpg

This is the last car I sprayed. 2006. Did it at the buddys shop that just retired. The steps involved and the costs were nuts. Thank the Gods he was there to guide me. He also made me paint it 2 times as my 1st attempt with the base coat clear coat sucked.

Costs more than tripled just for materials.
    IOOFVdm.jpg

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Vocational school (not sure they call it that anymore) around here used to teach auto body and if you could get a spot could get something painted for material cost. Might not be a show quality job, but may do what you're after. If this is even still a thing

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Wife got a quote from a shop in town, $6000. LOL

Leaning toward color match rattle can for the trunk and roof, and try to restore the rest.

Thanks for the help.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Look at what Fed. regulations have done to the industry. I have a good friend that retired recently instead of making the next hurdle the douche bags were forcing him to do.
    Downdraft filtered booths with environmental systems. The cost of these are insane.
    $700 a gallon for water based paint and then the reducers etc to cut it for spray out.
    The full body suits and respirators……..All just stupid insane spendy.

Do these items clean it up and make it safe to paint......yes.

I painted this car 29 years ago. All totaled with the new passenger quarter it was salty for the day but doable. Painted in a heated garage in the country. Single stage.
    I missed some fitment on the door so don't judge OK.

This is the last car I sprayed. 2006. Did it at the buddys shop that just retired. The steps involved and the costs were nuts. Thank the Gods he was there to guide me. He also made me paint it 2 times as my 1st attempt with the base coat clear coat sucked.

Costs more than tripled just for materials.

That Impala is a nice lookin car, it turned out nice. I like the look of the Chevy Rallys with the raised white letter tires.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the MAACO tip, I might try there too, there is one in Westfield, which isn’t a bad drive for me.

Try the one on 71st and Binford. They do excellent work at a good price! Check their reviews. I personally know the owners and they are fantastic and been in business for like 30 years. The one in westfield is new and they don't have near the experience this one does. They are franchises so they all are ran differently with different levels of experience.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    How old is your son? Just help him pick a nice ride and sell the turd.

I painted this in my driveway 20 years ago, I used Cat yellow @ $20 bucks a gallon, prep and a quality sealer is how you get a quality paint job.

I also painted this,

Top Bottom