• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those who don't have access to longer range facilities, you can buy/download Ben Stoeger's scale targets. 1/6th targets basically mean for every foot they are out a real sized target would be 2y away. A 7y facility (or dry fire room) is now the close-enough-to-equivalent of 42y. For handgun ranges were bullet drop and windage are negligible, I think it's a very viable solution to limited training facilities.

I'm sure there are likely others, or you could just shoot a 3x5 card, etc, but I think it's a neat solution.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For those who don't have access to longer range facilities, you can buy/download Ben Stoeger's scale targets. 1/6th targets basically mean for every foot they are out a real sized target would be 2y away. A 7y facility (or dry fire room) is now the close-enough-to-equivalent of 42y. For handgun ranges were bullet drop and windage are negligible, I think it's a very viable solution to limited training facilities.

I'm sure there are likely others, or you could just shoot a 3x5 card, etc, but I think it's a neat solution.

This is what I do, it annoys the hell out of my fiance but I have several scattered through my apartment for dry fire practice while at home

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Again we are stuck on the 50 yard thing. I did not intend to make that the area of engagement and I am not seeing any keyboard cowboys in this thread. Level headed responses so far. The LEO and the dog was just wrong on so many levels.

I've tried to shoot quickly (and safely) at a paper plate at 5 yds while standing. How could I miss three quick shots!??! When I slow down and concentrate on my front sight for just a second I can shoot almost as fast and hit every time. Now throw in rounding a corner and standing fact to face with a perp and having to fire quickly. My money is on missing the target quickly or hitting off where you thought you were aiming.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Thank you. My gun-hating friends know I have guns, but it is my nature to avoid confrontation, so I don't usually rub it in their faces. However, today, I found it necessary to say on several occasions that these shootings have nothing to do with gun availability and everything to do with teaching our children that it is wrong to hurt people.
    I actually told a friend who said, "Statistically this won't ever happen to me" that if he ever finds himself laying face down on the floor of a convenience store bathroom at midnight waiting to have a bullet put into his head that he can tell himself, "Statistically this isn't happening." He didn't laugh so I hope it got him thinking.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm a lot more jaded in my World view. Maybe I've grown that way over my years on the street. Even with MANY pistol carriers, I just don't think you will see more than one engaging him/her...maybe not even one. Even with the huge number of LTCH holders in Indiana, only a small percentage train with them. Of those that train, only a small percentage train for combat shooting/fighting under stress. Of those who do ALL of that, some STILL cannot get themselves to engage a lethal threat when required. To leave their cover and place themselves into direct harm to engage a target with the likelihood of taking hits yourself. I'm a severe skeptic I suppose.
    Good point. My main reason to carry is to not come into my home and find someone there (Google up "Gilligan family massacre, 1980 Evansville, IN.) Next is the possibility of being in a drug store or convenience store at the wrong time.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Everybody who has experienced a real adrenaline dump, raise your hand. If you've never had the experience, you have no clue!
    Me.Me! I was involved in what I thought was an attempted abduction (girl screaming at a guy in the passenger seat. Turned out to be a lover's spat.) I called 911 and reported it then yelled at the car as it was attempting to leave the parking lot. The girl stopped and the guy opened his door and started to get out. I yelled, "STAY IN THE CAR." I didn't want him approaching me and putting me in the situation of having to draw my concealed Glock 30. I told the operator I was carrying. After the cops sorted it out one of them approached me to tell me what happened. I threw my hands out to the side and told him I had a loaded pistol under my shirt. He just waived "okay" and walked up and talked. After it was all over my left leg started shaking uncontrollably to where I thought I wouldn't be able to walk. I didn't expect that.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Could I have stopped it? I don't know. I practice with my carry gun my Glock22 at 25 yards. I have never attempted a 50 yard shot with it. If there wasn't anyone behind him that may be hit I have 16 shots to spray and pray so that's probably what I would do. I am not sure how much bullet drop there would be going from 25 to 50 yards. I think after completing this post I will go out in the back yard and see.
    Bet there wasn't much drop with that .40. In fact the bullets could have impacted higher than your aim point. Most of my Glocks are dead on the top of the front sights at about 25 yds. That's where the barrel and sight alignment intersect. Farther out (and 50 yds isn't far for a pistol like that) the bullet will hit a little higher than your front sight. I'd like to hear what you discovered.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I actually told a friend who said, "Statistically this won't ever happen to me" that if he ever finds himself laying face down on the floor of a convenience store bathroom at midnight waiting to have a bullet put into his head that he can tell himself, "Statistically this isn't happening." He didn't laugh so I hope it got him thinking.

You can certainly provide stories with emotional impact...as can the other side.

What generally cannot be argued is good math and data. The statistical argument is clearly in our favor. I use it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm going to try 25 yards at Point Blank Carmel this week & see if I can make hits using my frequently carried 9mm Shield & wearing the wrong pair of glasses. Kind of a worst combination of tools but can I do it test. I won't be able to elevate my heart rate unless I have my hot wife next to me though.

25 yard slow fire head shots are pretty easy.
    25 yard draw from a holster, 6 rapid shots into the A zone are only ~33%. That's still probably good enough to slow/stop a crazed perp that probably has only practiced shooting on an XBox.
    Without pics that "hot wife" doesn't exist.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fullsize carry rigs of SA capability. 25 yards is no big deal.

Like deer hunting, you shoot at the whole deer you'll proly miss.
    Pick a spot.

Quick and close, yeah maybe dots and space relationship type of shooting works.
    But if one has to engage a farther target, pick that spot.

Practice both.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Without pics that "hot wife" doesn't exist.
    Mine exists! She may kill me, but here’s her on our 10th anniversary date a couple years ago.
    sVCK0jll.jpg

This thread has stayed on track for way too long. This is INGO after all, it was time for a detour.

Last edited:

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I didn't read the entire thread, but I will say that the first dozen posts introduced me to the idea of shooting to 25 or 50 yards. We shall see what happens when I get the chance to try it!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

shawnppickett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Could I have done it? Possibly, lot of variables, but I'd sure as hell try. I can accurately shoot my edc that far and hit a target. But as has been pointed out, he's mobile, and got a rifle. No matter how good you are, there is still going be luck involved.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Somber times like this, after the El Paso active shooter, brings me pause. What could I have done to stop the carnage?

If circumstances were right, could you have put effective stopping rounds on a rifle wielding active shooter?

If you were alone, without family or friends to safely evacuate and had cover, could you have stopped the active shooter from 50 yards with your EDC?

Obviously, the rifle in your trunk would be a better tool, but all you have is your EDC. Could you put effective rounds on the shooter to stop them from further shooting?

We're not talking dangerous to yourself and others spray and pray or foolish "hero" running into the gunfire. We're talking about accurate marksmanship that you have practiced/trained at and can execute with more than 80% of your shots.

Could you make those shots?

Yes if I had something to rest my 9 or 10mm on for aimed shots. No if I'm carrying my Ruger lcr. This question is great. Got me thinking my little 38 special isn't going to cut it. Better start carrying a 9 or 10mm with several extra clips. Going to be uncomfortable, but at least I'd stand a better chance to survive.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Well my wife will likely kill me too. She sent me this a couple of weeks ago when getting ready to go to a concert with me.

[pic too hot for the interwebz - deleted :thatshot: ]

This is why I train to fight and win.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Last edited:

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Been thinking about a SIG P210 for a long time. Maybe this is the time to start carrying/and practicing with one of those, for the 50yard shots? I don't own one. Perhaps some of you who are familiar with those or have carried one could comment?

Top Bottom