• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Im excited to go this year. This will be my first year going squirrel hunting.

Pretty good chance you`ll love it. Squirrels can be challenging to hunt and kill. But more than that, it`s a fun, relaxing way to hunt. No big-game tag to worry about filling. No scent control to fret over and deal with. Just a leisurely sit, out in the woods, and hopefully the fixings of a great dinner.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Pretty good chance you`ll love it. Squirrels can be challenging to hunt and kill. But more than that, it`s a fun, relaxing way to hunt. No big-game tag to worry about filling. No scent control to fret over and deal with. Just a leisurely sit, out in the woods, and hopefully the fixings of a great dinner.

I couldnt agree more. My girlfriend loves to cook them. So its a win win! Cant wait!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I didn't read the whole thread - but two words of advice. Thermal Cell ! ! ! !

Probably also not a bad idea to use a good tick repellant and wear long sleeve pants and shirt.

Best times are on completely windless days when you can see the buggers moving thru the trees. The downside is if there is no breeze it makes it more miserable if it's hot and humid out.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I didn't read the whole thread - but two words of advice. Thermal Cell ! ! ! !

Probably also not a bad idea to use a good tick repellant and wear long sleeve pants and shirt.

Best times are on completely windless days when you can see the buggers moving thru the trees. The downside is if there is no breeze it makes it more miserable if it's hot and humid out.

+1 on a way to chill them....I have shot a couple in the morning on these hot days and couldn't stand the smell when cleaning them around lunch when I left the woods.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1 on a way to chill them....I have shot a couple in the morning on these hot days and couldn't stand the smell when cleaning them around lunch when I left the woods.

Yep, it's not exactly practical to field dress the little buggers in the woods and continue hunting, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a cooler packed with ice for the purpose.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yep, it's not exactly practical to field dress the little buggers in the woods and continue hunting, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a cooler packed with ice for the purpose.

I have a very savvy buddy who does exactly that, he cleans them as he kills them. They`re so warm he says the skinning is easy. And a big heck yeah on the Thermacell.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm going back to cleaning them in the woods this year. Used to keep a frozen water bottle in my fanny pack to help chill the meat. After a couple hours in August it's cool drinking water. A back pack will allow for enough water to rinse most of the blood off your hands if you want to carry that much weight.
    They are easier to skin when warm. I've had them come down a tree and get within easy pistol range when I'm processing their buddy.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have a very savvy buddy who does exactly that, he cleans them as he kills them. They`re so warm he says the skinning is easy. And a big heck yeah on the Thermacell.

I've been told that they skin more easily while still warm.
    It's just a bit of a conundrum whether to skin or wait for another bushytail or two to shoot before doing it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Squacks talks about squirrel hunting - RimfireCentral.com Forums

A thread for the beginners and the curious with experience.

I hunt with this fellow at least a couple of times a year and he is a wealth of knowledge on hunting in general, a guitar pickin', harmonica playing, teller of tales. As well as a friend. Takes other people's kids hunting too. He has shucking a squirrel out of its hide down to a science.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I hunt with this fellow at least a couple of times a year and he is a wealth of knowledge on hunting in general, a guitar pickin', harmonica playing, teller of tales. As well as a friend. Takes other people's kids hunting too. He has shucking a squirrel out of its hide down to a science.

Need to bookmark that one for future reference.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going back to cleaning them in the woods this year. Used to keep a frozen water bottle in my fanny pack to help chill the meat. After a couple hours in August it's cool drinking water. A back pack will allow for enough water to rinse most of the blood off your hands if you want to carry that much weight.
    They are easier to skin when warm. I've had them come down a tree and get within easy pistol range when I'm processing their buddy.

Take a few pairs of nitrile gloves with you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

The first time I helped clean squirrels (I failed to kill any on my own), I was impressed by the efficiency of my hunting buddies. They would cut through the base of the tail, the stand on the tail while pulling on the hind legs and the skin would come off of the squirrel like a suit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Very good idea. Hair and blood will rinse right off of nitrile that you'll be fighting to get off of your hands for a long time. Same with the smell.

Plus, in the event the squirrel is carrying something on it or in it that you don't want to touch . . .

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    For you first timers,go with somebody that knows how to skin.Watch and learn.A warm squirrel can be skinned in under a minute,and have no hair on the carcass.Super sharp knife and game shears are great for cutting heads,legs and butchering.I hear a lot of people say they don't hunt them because they are so hard to clean.Which is good I guess,more for me! I keep a cooler in the truck,along with plenty of water and towels.One trick that helps on squirrels that get a bit stiff is to "exercise"them-work the legs to limber them up before starting. Shooting only gray's makes cleaning easier too!!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    For you first timers,go with somebody that knows how to skin.Watch and learn.A warm squirrel can be skinned in under a minute,and have no hair on the carcass.Super sharp knife and game shears are great for cutting heads,legs and butchering.I hear a lot of people say they don't hunt them because they are so hard to clean.Which is good I guess,more for me! I keep a cooler in the truck,along with plenty of water and towels.One trick that helps on squirrels that get a bit stiff is to "exercise"them-work the legs to limber them up before starting. Shooting only gray's makes cleaning easier too!!

There`s a video on Youtube, showing a pretty nifty way to skin a squirrel and get little to no hair on the meat. It involves a shallow cut under the tail I think, but the video seems to show it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dekMT72WcE

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There`s a video on Youtube, showing a pretty nifty way to skin a squirrel and get little to no hair on the meat. It involves a shallow cut under the tail I think, but the video seems to show it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dekMT72WcE

HEY! That's my friend, Sarge! He's in Beanblossom for the Blues Festival every August. See him in September at a camp out we attend in IL.
    He's a great guy!
    That flap under the tail is important. Thats what you step on. Not the tail.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom