• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you guage the officers reaction?

• Total voters

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It appears to be a residential neighborhood.....and bullets cannot be recalled once discharged.

I would have likely opted to chase, pending backup to arrive, rather than pursue.....Primarily given the consideration that that rounds are continuing to be fired by the perpetrators.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It strikes me that the risk of collateral damage was much greater from continuing pursuit, especially a round with the energy of the 7.62x39. I'm REALLY surprised the officer or any bystanders weren't injured. I think a better option would've been to call in a helicopter to keep track of them, and then send in SWAT to deal with them.

The vast majority of LE agencies, especially in rural area's like that was, have no air assets. Heck, even IMPD doesn't have a chopper anymore if memory serves.

IMO, letting murderous thugs who have already tried to kill a cop go in a residential neighborhood is vastly more dangerous than what this officer did. If he had dropped away, I guarantee you a carjacking would have been their next step and then another gunbattle if/when the cops caught up to them again.

That copper has huge clanking brass ones and is one cool sunofagun in that video. My hat is off to him.

Best,

Joe

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Tough call without being there. Adrenalin and testosterone may have overwhelmed common sense for this officer. While he was probably not reprimanded, there was likely a discussion reinforcing the notion of containment and overwhelming force. The video didn't show an officer demonstrating good tactics. It showed an officer who was lucky.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    He did the right thing. You can't simply not return fire when fired upon, just because the perps are doing it in a populated area. The officer is responsible for using firing his own weapon responsibly. Beyond that, you don't allow a gunman to continue firing at will.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    He did the right thing. You can't simply not return fire when fired upon, just because the perps are doing it in a populated area. The officer is responsible for using firing his own weapon responsibly. Beyond that, you don't allow a gunman to continue firing at will.

Many, if not most, police departments have policies that reflect pursuit is only justified when the necessity of the apprehension of a suspect outweighs the immediate risk to the public.

Does gunfire, not to mention a high speed close pursuit in a residential neighborhood, qualify for the potential of even a greater tragedy?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I think he did the right thing too, and I commend him for his bravery. I can see both sides of the argument, and this story would have ended much more sadly if someone would have got hit by one of those AK rounds.

However, the fact is that if crooks know that the police will back off of them because they have more firepower than we are going to have a lot more problems with violent criminals and I don't want this guy using that AK on someone else later on.

If someone is acting like this with a weapon I say run him down and put about 300 rounds straight into the vehicle.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ........and this story would have ended much more sadly if someone would have got hit by one of those AK rounds.

Or being struck by a car. We all know that children are curious when they hear a siren.

Or a round hit a gas meter.

Or the perps car is crashed into a house full of people.

Or the perps leave the car and take hostages at gunpoint.

..............Or the Officer could have deescalated the situation and changed the pursuit to a chase, and waited until a coordinated effort to marginalize the current environment.

Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not sure that there is a 100 percent correct answer. I think that if the officer lets them go it would continue again later. It would send the wrong message to all potential bad guys, but I also wouldn't want any of my family on the road when this is going on.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    From one lurking around. That guy has more moxy than I do. I would like to think I'd stay on their tail but being an armchair quarterback is something this old man learned not to be several moons ago. The officer did well. I had a chase back in 86 or 87. Guy broke out of jail. I was the second car, radio unit, in a pursuit that ended in the bad guy crashing just outside Morgantown. later we located dents in the chase car's bumper from the guy's .32. I honestly thought the guy was tossing out cigarettes. I had no idea he was firing at the car ahead of me. That was a sobering moment for both units involved. God had his hand on us that morning.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    The vast majority of LE agencies, especially in rural area's like that was, have no air assets. Heck, even IMPD doesn't have a chopper anymore if memory serves.

IMO, letting murderous thugs who have already tried to kill a cop go in a residential neighborhood is vastly more dangerous than what this officer did. If he had dropped away, I guarantee you a carjacking would have been their next step and then another gunbattle if/when the cops caught up to them again.

That copper has huge clanking brass ones and is one cool sunofagun in that video. My hat is off to him.

Best,

Joe

if i recall correctly they have the chopper but they cant pay for the fuel, or at least thats what i heard

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Indeed heroic, but perhaps a bit wreckless. Where did all of the ordinance that didn't hit its intended target end up? I respect the LEO for his bravery, but question the need to enter into that large a firefight when clearly civilians are at risk in this tape.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    And if he did that and they robbed or murdered someone the first thing out of the media press would be "why did the LEO stop pursuit? He could have saved a innocent live".

It's kinda of a catch 22. I think he did a great job, he knew it was a hi powered rifle (didn't know the cal), so he keep back and just tailed them till more LEO showed up. The suspects crashed and instead of just letting them run away (possible taking a hostage) he keep them pined down till his back up came.

They should pin a medal in the LEO.. IMO..

While I do agree that the man definitely deserves a medal and accolades, I don't think that most of the public would look down on the officer for backing off after having his vehicle hammered with rapid fire from a high power rifle while back up was that far out. After all LEO's are just people with training and equipment, not super heroes, they die when struck by 7.62x39 just as easy as civilians. I can say that I personally wouldn't think anything less of him.

Top Bottom