• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Put a tat on your neck, they won't notice the one on your arm then! , , another problem solved!

They didn't notice my visible tattoos during an interview because of my terrorist beard (8-9 inches) and my 0 gauge plugs in my earlobes. I went to school for hiring and firing people and know all about the perceptions and judging, I simply don't care. Not sure I'd want to work somewhere that wouldn't allow non-offensive tattoos.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    The EMS Service I work for requires us to have our tattoos covered.... well, its actually just when going into the hospital(s) in the area.... what actually happens on a run or a transfer is completely different. I just wear long sleeve uniform shirts unless its BLAZING hot, then I have the tat jackets.

I find it hilarious for the simple fact that every single one of us has tattoos that are visible. Even the women.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just ran across this and thought I'd toss it up here for reference:

debruger22_zpsf29be9c9.jpg

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Wow. That was certainly helpful. :rolleyes:

Helpful as it may or may not have been. Like it or not, it is the truth. Its easy to see 20/20 in hindsight isn't it? But thinking about the repercussions your choice of body art may or may not have on your career choices later in life isn't always as easy to see "in the moment". Maybe it meant something special to you at the time, but is that "special meaning" more important to you than getting a job, having a career, having to lie or cover up your special marks because you chose poorly on the location of said marks?

To me no. I'm not apposed to body art. I have even considered getting a tattoo or two. But if/when I do they will be where normal street clothes/dress clothes will cover them completely.

Again common sense when choosing the design and location of body art will make things like Miss Dragon's problem easier to solve in the future. Maybe not for her but maybe just maybe someone else may read these posts and rethink getting a "Jason" mask on their forearm. (yes my friend really does have a Jason mask in about the same spot as Snapdragon's tattoo, along with other horror themed tattoos down his arms, and wonders why he can't find a decent job)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But then you've gotta have one on your face to detract from the one on the neck...

That logic is starting to remind me of this nursery rhyme from my childhood... :):

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
    I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
    There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
    That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
    I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
    There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
    How absurd to swallow a bird.
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
    There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
    Fancy that to swallow a cat!
    She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
    There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
    What a hog, to swallow a dog;
    She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
    There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
    I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
    She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
    She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
    There was an old lady who swallowed a horse...
    She's dead, of course!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Helpful as it may or may not have been. Like it or not, it is the truth. Its easy to see 20/20 in hindsight isn't it? But thinking about the repercussions your choice of body art may or may not have on your career choices later in life isn't always as easy to see "in the moment". Maybe it meant something special to you at the time, but is that "special meaning" more important to you than getting a job, having a career, having to lie or cover up your special marks because you chose poorly on the location of said marks?

To me no. I'm not apposed to body art. I have even considered getting a tattoo or two. But if/when I do they will be where normal street clothes/dress clothes will cover them completely.

Again common sense when choosing the design and location of body art will make things like Miss Dragon's problem easier to solve in the future. Maybe not for her but maybe just maybe someone else may read these posts and rethink getting a "Jason" mask on their forearm. (yes my friend really does have a Jason mask in about the same spot as Snapdragon's tattoo, along with other horror themed tattoos down his arms, and wonders why he can't find a decent job)

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, a bit of "common sense" would have helped at the time. That's one of the few lapses in judgment that I will own up to. Five years planning what to get and five minutes planning where to put it. :rolleyes: Chalk it up to midlife crisis. I do have another one on my leg that is easily covered by slacks.

I've been thinking a lot about the people who said that I shouldn't hide who I am by covering the tattoo. My tattoos are skin decorations; they are not "who I am". I would hate to think that I am so shallow that covering six square inches of my arm somehow equates to compromising my identity.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

How's the weather way up there on that high horse?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I appreciate any and all responses. In reality, I'm probably going to go with a combination of all options. I can tolerate long sleeves for an interview and long-term if the office is plenty cool. If the office is not cool and I have to wear long sleeves, I will be a sweaty, nauseous, cranky biotch. Enter options two, three, and four-- makeup, sweatbands (or nude-color bands), and bandaids. I may order some of the products I mentioned in my first post just to try them.

In the meantime, wish me good juju on finding a job. I'm not working now, so I can't afford to turn down a job offer on principle (at least if the principle is tattoo pride).

Best of luck on the new job!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A guy at work had some kind of symbolic small snake on the inside of one of his forearms. The snake head had some kind of symbolism about it - never was sure what it was.

One day (well, several) he came to work with bandages over the area.

He decided he didn't like the head on the snake any longer and removed it. Abrasively.

-J-

Top Bottom