• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    It was suggested I post this here. Makes sense.
    Hello All,
    I've been signed up here since early last fall, but haven't had time to be here often. I knew this was the place to go for this issue however. I recently acquired a Webley WG Target revolver and would like to find a suitable, western style, holster for it. Nothing fancy, just nicely done and made to use. I can do some leather work, but I'm not all that accomplished, so for this one I thought I'd try to get one made. I'm about to join the local NCOWS group, so I need this to fit their rules as far as not allowing direct access to the trigger, not hung low, etc. Does anyone know where I might go to get something made? Locally? I don't want to ship this for fitting as I am an FFL and by law cannot ship to anyone except another license holder. I would be more than happy to drive a bit to have the fitting done though. I have not reached the 50 post mark, so cannot PM yet, and I really didn't want to go hog wild with senseless remarks just to get there. So I guess I'm asking for contact info if anyone knows anyone who does this type of thing well.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Problem solved through the friend of a friend. I've just got to get our schedules worked out in order to meet up and get the details taken care of.
    Thanks anyway,
    Jim

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Just attended my first ever Cowboy Action Shooting event. This past Saturday at the West Side Sportsman Club in Evansville. That was a blast! I couldn't stay long, but everyone was friendly and answered all my questions. Well, all my questions except one - where am I going to get all the money?! Hahaha.

Thanks to all the cowboys and cowgirls at the WSSC for being so friendly and patient with me. Now, on with the search for a used pair of Vaqueros!

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Jermiah,

Do your self a favor and go back at least one more time and ask to handle as many revolvers, rifles and shotguns as you can. You will find that most cowboys and cowgirls will let you shoot their guns. There are subtle differences in manufactures that could make the difference in your choices. My main consideration was/is the lack of the half cock hammer on the Ruger. I have Uberti 1875 Outlaws and would really like a set of Ruger Vaqueros but would miss the half cock hammer. Watch enough matches and you will no doubt see the Ruger dance where the thumb slips off and the hammer drops by accident and they have to go all the way around to find the round that they missed. With the half cock it stops and the half cock position and can be recocked without rotating the cylinder. ( you can have half cock hammers installed but not on my budget)
    Not to mention caliber choice.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Jermiah,

Do your self a favor and go back at least one more time and ask to handle as many revolvers, rifles and shotguns as you can. You will find that most cowboys and cowgirls will let you shoot their guns. There are subtle differences in manufactures that could make the difference in your choices. My main consideration was/is the lack of the half cock hammer on the Ruger. I have Uberti 1875 Outlaws and would really like a set of Ruger Vaqueros but would miss the half cock hammer. Watch enough matches and you will no doubt see the Ruger dance where the thumb slips off and the hammer drops by accident and they have to go all the way around to find the round that they missed. With the half cock it stops and the half cock position and can be recocked without rotating the cylinder. ( you can have half cock hammers installed but not on my budget)
    Not to mention caliber choice.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

I did notice that when I held one in a store. That was one of the questions I asked some of the cowboys there - all said they had hammer jobs done on their Vaqueros. I'm looking across the board especially on that one very good point. I'm looking at used Vaqueros especially those that have already fixed that problem with hammer jobs, but including what it would cost for me to fix it in the offer price if it hasn't. I haven't handled the 1875 Uberti, but I know Uberti has a fine reputation and their rifles are durable and accurate. The same deal goes for a lever job on the rifles...probably go the cash for a Uberti '73 clone eventually on the rifle.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I have the NM Vaqueros. I love them! I did break a pawl in one of them once but Ruger took care of me. I was amazed that this happened. I had two stages left to shoot at a state shoot and had to borrow a pistol. I was pressed for time as I was headed to another big shoot in Ohio. Ruger got the parts to me quickly. My pistols are "slicked" up.They have been polished and stoned, springs lightened for easier action. The transfer bars have been welded to the hammers to eliminate the extra work of that movement. (One less spring) Ive also had my back straps engraved with my alias. As far as issues with missing the hammer? Hey it happens but not often. Practice makes perfect. Ive watched my times go from 60 second stages down to low 20 second stages. Its taken a few years for me to get there. I shoot SxS shotgun and getting into the Stoeger coach has helped. Technique with it has helped a lot. I saw another guy using the technique Im using now and decided that's what I was gonna do. It works well for me. I "slicked" my sg myself and it really works well. Practice good techniques, practice, practice, practice. Moving from gun to gun and p.o.a. all will play a part in your success. Most of all have fun!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I have the NM Vaqueros. I love them! I did break a pawl in one of them once but Ruger took care of me. I was amazed that this happened. I had two stages left to shoot at a state shoot and had to borrow a pistol. I was pressed for time as I was headed to another big shoot in Ohio. Ruger got the parts to me quickly. My pistols are "slicked" up.They have been polished and stoned, springs lightened for easier action. The transfer bars have been welded to the hammers to eliminate the extra work of that movement. (One less spring) Ive also had my back straps engraved with my alias. As far as issues with missing the hammer? Hey it happens but not often. Practice makes perfect. Ive watched my times go from 60 second stages down to low 20 second stages. Its taken a few years for me to get there. I shoot SxS shotgun and getting into the Stoeger coach has helped. Technique with it has helped a lot. I saw another guy using the technique Im using now and decided that's what I was gonna do. It works well for me. I "slicked" my sg myself and it really works well. Practice good techniques, practice, practice, practice. Moving from gun to gun and p.o.a. all will play a part in your success. Most of all have fun!

Thanks pard. I do most of my own gun work, but have never worked on revolvers. I'm sure there are YouTube vids on all of it. I'll probably try to do my own gun work on the revolvers and the lever (when I get one) - I really like that part of it too. Reloading - just needed the right nudge - this is it - getting into reloading at the same time. Good times!!!

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I think I have 5-6 loaders on the bench. My first RCBS partner, my second Posness Warren for shotgun, my third Dillon Sq Deal, then I have three Mecs. I work on guns everyday. I love the mechanics of the actions. Pioneer Gunworks has a how to on the the short stroke install. Marauder has how to's for shotguns. Marauder13 go to the old irons page.
    You tube is a great info place for a lot of gun work, blk powder loads and anything else you need. Just finished slicking up a 92 Rossi. Turned out real well.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I think I have 5-6 loaders on the bench. My first RCBS partner, my second Posness Warren for shotgun, my third Dillon Sq Deal, then I have three Mecs. I work on guns everyday. I love the mechanics of the actions. Pioneer Gunworks has a how to on the the short stroke install. Marauder has how to's for shotguns. Marauder13 go to the old irons page.
    You tube is a great info place for a lot of gun work, blk powder loads and anything else you need. Just finished slicking up a 92 Rossi. Turned out real well.

Would you recommend the RCBS or Dillon?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Definitely go with the Dillon! Now the other thing is what you want to load. I got the Square Deal in 38spl. I love it and am glad I have it. I chose to go this way because of the quantity of 38s I load. Its progressive and for the most part no assembly required. If you go with the 550 or 650 you will need to purchase several different items to make your press suit your needs. I think Im going to buy another SD for 9mm.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Definitely go with the Dillon! Now the other thing is what you want to load. I got the Square Deal in 38spl. I love it and am glad I have it. I chose to go this way because of the quantity of 38s I load. Its progressive and for the most part no assembly required. If you go with the 550 or 650 you will need to purchase several different items to make your press suit your needs. I think Im going to buy another SD for 9mm.

At this point it appears I will be reloading .45 Colt for SAS, but also shoot .45acp, 9mm and 10mm quite a bit. I know zero about reloading, I have yet to learn. There is a class on reloading up in Fishers - read that somewhere - maybe I should take a course before I dive in?

By the way, just got my SASS confirmation. My alias: Quint Asper. Anyone old enough to remember that character?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    probably a good idea! Sounds like ya might want a 650. I reload a lot of different calibers but most of them are small quantity so I can get away with the single stage RCBS.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    With all the different calibers you want to reload for, the 550 or 650 would be a good idea. My daughter loads about 400 rounds an hour on my 550B. If you need more output that that, the 650 is your game. I like the 550 because I load for 11 different calibers. Takes 5-6 minutes to change over.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Correct. That also allows me to run my rifle rounds single stage, one round at a time. Or I can go progressive and put out more ammo.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Well I had a whole thing typed up fer ya and INGO logged me out and I lost it. Maybe I'll get back to it tonight. Time fer work now.

Top Bottom