• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Sorry for the dumb question and I am sure alot of you are going to flame me for this question, but I have never hunted coyote, and me and a few friends are wanting to start. My question is what do you all do with them after you have bagged one? Do you just skin it and throw out the rest or leave it?

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I'd be interested in knowing that too. Also are there any restrictions as to caliber to hunt with, hours for hunting, etc?

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well welcome to yote huntin! Most people do skin them and leave the carcass. If you are into coon hunting or opossums, make a bait pile. You may even draw in some yotes with it. Or, if you know a buyer, some will take a whole animal n pay you for it. You just have to take it to em, they pay you and you walk away. I knew of one that used to do it in New Pal. Not sure if he still does anymore or not. As far as caliber, no, there are no restrictions on what caliber can be used. If you dont trust that, call the DNR and ask. You'll get the same answer tho. Hours for hunting are open also, unless, you are hunting on state owned land. Then you have to check w the DNR or whom ever is in charge of the property and they can tell you. Yote hunting is leagal 24/7/365 as long as you own the property or have written permission from the owners.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've heard they all have fleas and you have to be careful handling them. Any truth to this?

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    yes they have fleas and you should where gloves when handling them , i personally shoot them and leave them .

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Thank you everyone. I was just unsure cause I was tought when I was a kid that you dont leave and you eat what you shoot and I was unsure if that still applied to coyotes since im not hungry enough to eat a coyote but have herd they are fun to hunt.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thank you everyone. I was just unsure cause I was tought when I was a kid that you dont leave and you eat what you shoot and I was unsure if that still applied to coyotes since im not hungry enough to eat a coyote but have herd they are fun to hunt.

What!? You dont like Korean food?

We (my dad and I) seldom hunt specifically for 'yotes, but have on occasion shot one on a slow day deer hunting. The only time we have ever drug them out to skin was if they were impressively large, otherwise they get left to feed the other meat eaters in the woods.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If I may add more detail to this. The area we will be hunting them is at Mdeshons Aunt's place. which is like 8 or 12 acres. We are concerned about leaving the bodies which may bring in more yotes. thus making the problem worse. How terrible of an idea is it to build up a big bon fire and just burn them to nothing?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    If I may add more detail to this. The area we will be hunting them is at Mdeshons Aunt's place. which is like 8 or 12 acres. We are concerned about leaving the bodies which may bring in more yotes. thus making the problem worse. How terrible of an idea is it to build up a big bon fire and just burn them to nothing?

I still want to so something with them, seems wasteful just to leave 'em or burn 'em . I would think that burning probably wouldn't smell great, either. Fleas or no, I like the idea of taking the opportunity to practice up on tanning hides. If anyone has any pointers on that, they'd be welcome. Is this a good reference site?

How to Tan a Hide

FMJ, once we have more seasoned opinions, we can take the discussion off-board, considering you're sitting about 10 feet away from me right now. :laugh:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I still want to so something with them, seems wasteful just to leave 'em or burn 'em . I would think that burning probably wouldn't smell great, either. Fleas or no, I like the idea of taking the opportunity to practice up on tanning hides. If anyone has any pointers on that, they'd be welcome. Is this a good reference site?

How to Tan a Hide

FMJ, once we have more seasoned opinions, we can take the discussion off-board, considering you're sitting about 10 feet away from me right now. :laugh:

No! and why must you walk over to me after every post you make or right after you email me?

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    A cheap way to tan a hide is to flesh it very well then use borax on it. I use 20 mule team borax.

Top Bottom