• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatchrooster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lumpkin,Co
    We went Saturday night .Went to 3 place's and at the third one we had a few call back.But did'nt have any come in.So no luck,Had some fun with some dog's though.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    anybody know of anyplace that'll buy pelts? and if i shoot them for a nuisance can i sell the pelts outside of the hunting season? haveing a problem with them around my parents house and i'd hate for them to eat mom's barn cat or our senior-citizen black lab. i've been taking care of it, but i'd like to try and make a few bucks, as i've heard rumors that you can occasionally find someone to buy the pelts.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I've had good luck coyote hunting in daylight by setting up in thick areas [where you would expect them to be in daylight] and using a shotgun loaded with 3.5" #5 shot. Always play the wind.

prtrrssll

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Never been before

Thought about using bait on private property .Need to check laws they are killing all the Rabbits and chasing all the deer away.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hey HAtch - you're asking all the right questions. I would agree that late night is best, and around dawn is second best. If they are really hungry and it's really cold (or mating season) they should be more likely to respond at anytime of day.
    Everyone says to keep the red filter on the light, and there's no reason to argue, but I've had ok luck with an unfiltered, white, very bright LED in one of the new 4D maglites - didn't seem to scare anything too much. Just keep the target on the edge of the light ring, just enough to get the eyes to glow back at you.

Avoid full moons if possible, go out the day before and the day after storms, and keep the wind in mind. Yotes are NOT as developed for nighttime vision as many other nocturnal animals. THere are a lot of theories that propose that yotes have adapted to become nocturnal only more recently (not a long term evolution) to avoid interaction with humans, which seems possible to me. Yotes are primarily scent-driven predators, with their long snouts and accurate sense of smell. Compare it to a bobcat with their BIG eyes and much poorer sense of smell. Obviously, all of these animals see and smell better than us, but that's why we got thumbs :) Good luck this year with the yotes!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    anybody know of anyplace that'll buy pelts? and if i shoot them for a nuisance can i sell the pelts outside of the hunting season? haveing a problem with them around my parents house and i'd hate for them to eat mom's barn cat or our senior-citizen black lab. i've been taking care of it, but i'd like to try and make a few bucks, as i've heard rumors that you can occasionally find someone to buy the pelts.

Hi Herby - If I understand the laws correctly, you are not supposed to possess and untanned hide past a certain date (usually the end of march, approx.) So even if you legally dispatch them on private land anytime of the year, I don't know if you could sell them at anytime. Without a doubt the pelts are higher quality & thicker in the winter, which is a big reason for the dates for hunting/trapping furbearers. (generally Mid-october to Mid-March)

THe DNR website has some info on indiana fur buyers, better info can be found on the Indiana Trappers Association website. Including previous years buys (numbers and prices)
    Indiana State Trappers Association
    Fur Buyers - Indiana State Trappers Association

It looks like one of the main buyers is in Columbus, IN, but there are others. I believe they even have a fur auction, again around the end of March, for the buyers and the sellers to all get together in one place and at one time.

Good luck on keepin the yote numbers down... they can grow like weeds if not kept in check.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    It's time for this years pups to start feeding themselves. Now the pups will come to about any call. I do not hunt them this time of year to give them a sporting chance. But if a farmer calls and says he wants them dead. I will come and do a genocide on them.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to clarify a previous point. I just found out that LED lights give you much less reflection of off yotes (and all animals) eyes. Apparently the LED is super bright but uses a narrower spectrum of light. So, fue older fashion lights seem to be better for varmints eyes to glow. Just my 2 bits after doing some more.research.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    another thread revival. i couldnt find what the pelts would be worth in lake county for a certain animal. and do fur buyers want the whole carcass?

if nothing else, imma take down some coyotes to help out next years rabbit and deer season and for the experiance.

Top Bottom