• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I would suggest a 38 revolver with the first round being shot shell, for the situation your asking about. Not the best distance gun but any shot in their general direction should send them packing as others have said.

I was going to suggest about the same thing, but I was more comfortable with a .44 on my hip. The first round being a shot/pellet round means that you might be able to take the odd rabbit that pops up.

Yes, I love to eat rabbits.

Last edited:

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    While I understand where you are coming from, he is in a decently populated area and he doesn't want to lug around a shotgun or rifle everywhere he goes...not only because he doesn't want to scare anyone, but also because they don't exactly have a gun rack to set your weapon when you go into a restaurant, and the reason he wanted something in the first place was because he walks almost everywhere. He doesn't go out looking for coyotes, and he doesn't hunt, so rifle or shotgun would not be efficient for him to carry around. I appreciate the input though

Did not mean to offend.

Growing up with this same problem, I may have a bit less understanding for someone who has just encountered this kind of challenge.

We (forever expanding suburban sprawlers) are constantly taking over, building homes, new roads and generally invading their roaming grounds for our own use, so it should be obvious to us all that we are going to encounter some desperate animals during their escape to a place they can live safely.

For his own safety and that of his favorite pets (I have personally lost several pets to packs of feral dogs and coyotes) he just needs to carry a simple weapon he can use proficiently. It does not have to be large, but he should feel comfortable using his weapon.

Seems as if everyone is on the same page here.

Last edited:

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    No offense taken, just simply recovering from lack of information on my part. Obviously without knowing everything you cannot give the best advice, so that was my fault. In regard to a weapon he is comfortable with, I don't think he has a preference...I could talk to him a bit more though and find out what he likes.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, it really doesn't take much. I have a friend who takes them on his ranch with .22 regularly. I caught one in the chest with a 40 cal fmj bullet when we surprised each other and even that was overkill since it killed the thing instantly, exited and continued into the ground behind the little bastard.

As long as they're not rabid....Rabid animals can be far more troublesome, and you need those guys dead before they have a chance to try to bite you. When they're sick like that, they'll do some crazy stuff and a bit more vigilance is in order.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Yeah, it really doesn't take much. I have a friend who takes them on his ranch with .22 regularly. I caught one in the chest with a 40 cal fmj bullet when we surprised each other and even that was overkill since it killed the thing instantly, exited and continued into the ground behind the little bastard.

As long as they're not rabid....Rabid animals can be far more troublesome, and you need those guys dead before they have a chance to try to bite you. When they're sick like that, they'll do some crazy stuff and a bit more vigilance is in order.
    :+1:

Take no chances with a rabid animal. Take the shot quickly.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Just remember that being in Michigan if he doesn't have a CPL he will have to open carry and store it in the car trunk or somewhere not easily accessible in a truck cab when driving. Just sitting in a vehicle constitutes concealed carry if you have your firearm on you.

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    Ruger "Buckmark" with simple hollowpoints.
    Easy to carry, plenty of rounds, and you can reach out and touch one more than once if needed.

No need to over think the whole thing - coyotes learn quick!

Be safe all.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    In the UP wolves are getting to be a problem. They are causing deer to move into towns. I'd carry something with a bit more bite to it.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I don't recall the name of them but how about a .410 revolver. I should be easy to carry. Lethal at close range, yet not a lot of distance carry for the round since it's an urban environment . Probably any bang would run them off but I understand it, they're pretty smart so they probably would not attack a pet again if a human is close by . Make the one shot count .

trackersranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Greenwood
    Was up there this weekend visting my Uncle. We killed 4 in 3 hours. I wanted to stake out his yippy dog, but Aunt would not let me. We used a call and first one came in 20 minutes. After that they wised up a little. There a plent up there and if you stop by a local watering hole, you might get lucky to find a place to hunt on private property.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wouldn't use the .38/.44 shotshell stuff outside of snakes at spittin' distance.

Doesn't anybody here ever actually get off the keyboard and kill sh*t with their guns?

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If you read the ops post about the situation, he's not a hunter, not using it for personal protection against a two legged predator and from his stories the coyotes have been at spitting distance. From the impression I get he's not worried about killing anything just wants to be left alone. I tried to give the best advice on the question at hand taking into consideration the user of would be advice, not give a hunting lesson. I have killed my fair share of animals and if you want to know my favorite weapon for killing coyotes is by far my M1 garande, it's just to much fun.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    If they are at spittin' distance I'd go with pepper spray.
    Handgun snake loads might just blind an eye.
    Hunter or not, wounding is uncool.

I do agree, wounding should be avoided. Which is why I was considering shotshell for the first round, then something lethal if the sound of the first shot did not scare them off. Would that be good enough, or should he just go straight for the kill?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ...he is in a decently populated area ...

I call BS (in a totally friendly way).

I've been to the UP. I have family in the UP. There isn't any "decently populated" area up there. :D

(I keed, I keed, mostly.)

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I call BS (in a totally friendly way).

I've been to the UP. I have family in the UP. There isn't any "decently populated" area up there. :D

(I keed, I keed, mostly.)

You sir, are correct :lmfao: Thank you for the laugh during my schooling...By decently populated, I meant that he has neighbors that would be close enough to notice him lugging a rifle around, and to be in danger if a round went astray. And he has neighbors with children, just trying to keep it as safe as possible!

gregstiff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    A 24" 11-87 loaded with 2 3/4 #4's would do just fine. There's no way I'd depend on a handgun shotshell for my safety or the safety of a family pet. Coyotes are wild animals and can take a whole lot more abuse than you'd ever imagine. A handgun would'nt be my first choice ever in a situation like this. Especially if the coyote has nerve to attack...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doesn't take much to drop a coyote, even a nice .22 LR sidearm will easily do the trick. If he doesn't like semi-autos, get him a Ruger Single Six.

While i was living in West Lafayette, i would regularly see coyotes roaming our neighborhood.

Now here in Virginia, we have them, but you don't see them very often. Reason? there is a bounty on them (varies by county) since the state declared them a nuisance. $50 in my county.

Top Bottom