• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    My grandfather has a house up in the Upper Peninsula, and he just got done telling me about four coyote attacks on dogs just this week, two of which happened while the owner was walking the dog.. He is concerned, and wants a something to carry around in the woods to be able to defend himself if the need arose, preferably a handgun that can be decently concealed. I don't know what would be best suited for this, so I need some help. If you had to have a handgun to defend yourself in that type of situation, what would it be? If you would rather a rifle or shotgun, those could work as well, I don't want to leave any options out, he just mentioned handgun primarily.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A rifle is tough to lug around all day if you are not hunting. A slung rifle requires some practice to get up to the ready.
    Coyote seldom come in on a man. If they do a single shot in the general direction will send them packing. I would suggest a side arm that he may be comfortable with. If not much experience a wheel gun might be in order.
    Yes, they see Fido as competition/dinner and they will get after him.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    They are pretty smart and have a great nose and just walking around in the woods he is not likely to even see one unless its sick or something. If they were close any centerfire pistol round well placed would take one out.

To hunt them, we use a Benelli Super Black Eagle II shotgun with a Dog Pounder choke and 3 1/2 inch Remington 00 buckshot or Dead Coyote 00 Heavy Shot.

Longer shots they get the 22-250 with 55 grain V-max.

My cousins farm was overrun with them a couple of years ago, killing pets and calfs, but he has done some serious work on them the last couple of years.

Last edited:

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    To hunt them, we use a Benelli Super Black Eagle II shotgun with a Dog Pounder choke and 3 1/2 inch Remington 00 buckshot or Dead Coyote 00 Heavy Shot.

The area he lives in he can't really hunt them, this is more of a precaution, so I think long guns are out. I understand they will likely not approach a man, but better safe than sorry...I'm certainly not going to tell someone, especially family, that they don't need to defend themselves if they feel threatened.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I'm not sure, but for the purpose of this thread I'll say no he won't be on his land. He might be, but I honestly don't know

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just about anything should do the trick. If he hits one, any others will hit the high road. LCP for in the pocket, something along those lines. Is he comfortable with firearms?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For a handgun, I would suggest the one that he is most comfortable with, practices with, and can hit his target at a high percentage of the time. For close encounters with a yote, I don't think caliber is going to be that critical, with the exception of .22lr (which may still get the job done). :twocents:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I would suggest a 38 revolver with the first round being shot shell, for the situation your asking about. Not the best distance gun but any shot in their general direction should send them packing as others have said.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Around here hunting them helps, I don't know if I just get the bold or unlucky ones but activity slows way down after you take a couple out.:)

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Just about anything should do the trick. If he hits one, any others will hit the high road. LCP for in the pocket, something along those lines. Is he comfortable with firearms?

He is pretty comfortable with firearms, but I doubt he will put the practice in to be very accurate. The 38 revolver with a shot shell or two sounds like a great idea, and with the rounds being shot does he have to be as concerned about what is behind the target? I don't want to cause issues

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He is pretty comfortable with firearms, but I doubt he will put the practice in to be very accurate. The 38 revolver with a shot shell or two sounds like a great idea, and with the rounds being shot does he have to be as concerned about what is behind the target? I don't want to cause issues

Just the cocking of a sidearm will freak out the older ones that have been shot at before. Put one in the ground and they will scatter.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I think it is kind of strange to be among people who do not have a clue as to how to deal with wild dogs.
    Where I grew up, far south Texas in the Rio Grande Valley in the 60s, there were wild packs of dangerous feral dogs (and pigs, but the pigs were good to barbecue) and even more packs of very scary wild coyotes.

Honestly, you just carry a 22 rifle (my choice was a Ruger 1022, or if you are actually following deer maybe a .243) or a decent shotgun (I have several Remington 870s and a couple of 1100s). No pack of wild dogs will approach without a degree of regret, let alone attack with any result any man wielding either.

Forget about whether one or the other is heavy or not, just prepare yourself for what you know you will have to deal with.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I think it is kind of strange to be among people who do not have a clue as to how to deal with wild dogs.
    Where I grew up, far south Texas in the Rio Grande Valley in the 60s, there were wild packs of dangerous feral dogs (and pigs, but the pigs were good to barbecue) and even more packs of very scary wild coyotes.

Honestly, you just carry a 22 rifle (my choice was a Ruger 1022, or if you are actually following deer maybe a .243) or a decent shotgun (I have several Remington 870s and a couple of 1100s). No pack of wild dogs will approach without a degree of regret, let alone attack with any result any man wielding either.

Forget about whether one or the other is heavy or not, just prepare yourself for what you know you will have to deal with.

While I understand where you are coming from, he is in a decently populated area and he doesn't want to lug around a shotgun or rifle everywhere he goes...not only because he doesn't want to scare anyone, but also because they don't exactly have a gun rack to set your weapon when you go into a restaurant, and the reason he wanted something in the first place was because he walks almost everywhere. He doesn't go out looking for coyotes, and he doesn't hunt, so rifle or shotgun would not be efficient for him to carry around. I appreciate the input though

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Whatever he can shoot well. If many police agencies carry 9mm to protect themselves from criminals, it will be sufficient for a 40-70lb coyote.

I can tell you from experience that a 300WM launching a 110gr Vmax at 3800 fps it a "tad" overkill. :D

Top Bottom