• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Seen that last week. That is some amazing pics and it all happened right in front of the camera. Suprise the buck didnt try to run off, but he was probably done running.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Its a shame that such a nice deer was killed by those worthless muts. This is exactly why I shoot all coyotes. I dont care if it does screw up my entire hunt.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Watched a coyote ambush and kill a doe a few years back, couldn't get a shot off but I was surprised how fast it all took place.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    That was amazing to capture on the camera. It had probably started well before the camera started shooting (you can see the deer is wounded in the third pic). It lasted couple hours too. It's hard to watch and I don't want to see anything suffer, but that has always been the relationship between predator and pray.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Ran into the after effects of the same in a small patch of squirrel woods near my house last year. Jumped a nice bodied 10 pointer while hunting; 2 days later I went to get a few more squirrels & came across his carcass. Looked like it happened the night before. Came back the next day to get the rack (after calling the CO office) and the yotes had eaten about half of him.

I've seen three yotes in this small patch of woods. Happily took one out with a .22lr right behind the ear at 25 yds.
    PIC-0188.jpg

SANY1584-w960-h960.jpg

PIC-0174.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Coyotes are supposed to be solitary animals and their diet historically has been small game and carion. It's very distrubing to see them operating more like a pack and growing larger as well.

They're turning into mini wolves.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Coyotes are supposed to be solitary animals and their diet historically has been small game and carion. It's very distrubing to see them operating more like a pack and growing larger as well.

They're turning into mini wolves.

Thats because many have wolf dna in them here in the east.

It is believed that coyotes made their way here over ice bridges or frozen sections of the both the Missouri and Mississippi rivers expanding their range from the west.

This was aeons ago, mind you.

Once here they interbred with now extinct smaller woods wolf subspecies effectively tainting not only their gene pools, but, those of the wolves and gradually cancelling those wolf subspecies out.

Maine has the country's biggest coyotes because of that fact and I myself have killed some monstrous ones back in NY.

We generally do not like to discuss these facts on the open forums for fear of the watchful anti hunting group asshats using this info to put moratroriums on hunting them, much like the volatile wolf battle they are having with them now in the western states.

They pretty much know this already, so, my loose lip talk so to speak is pretty much cast aside now.

Regardless of their DNA pool, coyotes are coyotes, they are a nuisance more so now than ever and need to be hunted and controlled.

Wolves too.

The antis will deny that, but, they are as wrong now as they have ever been.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    why were they eating/attacking the deers ass?
    That's just how coyotes do it... for some reason they feed from the hind up... likely a carry-on of the way they take down large game. Because they aren't built to take down large game easily, they take it down from the rear, where the risk of injury is lessened. Once they've taken down an animal from the rear, it is likely related to the fact that the animal it already ripped opened and bleeding from the rear and that is where it is easiest to feast...

That's just an educated guess though, I do not know for sure why.

I do know one thing, they are dirty creatures and I wish that their was an easy way to get rid of them... hate them with a passion.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Too bad that deer didn't arm himself!

Seriously, yotes are such dangerous animals. It looked to me like they were pretty skinny which is probably why they went after such big game. This is more to ATOMonkeys point. The more desperate they become, the more likely to go after big game. If they're hunting in packs more, who knows, they might start routinely attacking humans.

All the more reason to make sure you are armed when you're in the woods.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    That's just how coyotes do it... for some reason they feed from the hind up... likely a carry-on of the way they take down large game. Because they aren't built to take down large game easily, they take it down from the rear, where the risk of injury is lessened. Once they've taken down an animal from the rear, it is likely related to the fact that the animal it already ripped opened and bleeding from the rear and that is where it is easiest to feast...

That's just an educated guess though, I do not know for sure why.

I do know one thing, they are dirty creatures and I wish that their was an easy way to get rid of them... hate them with a passion.

The reasoning that was explained to me was that the back side is softer, not as many bones in the way. Makes it easier to get more eaten faster.

The last deer kill that I came across like this was much more graphic. I could here it happening the night before, and when the sun came up, all that was left was a blood stained area that the tall grass had been smashed down in. not even a skull was left.

Top Bottom