• ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Too bad that deer didn't arm himself!

Seriously, yotes are such dangerous animals. It looked to me like they were pretty skinny which is probably why they went after such big game. This is more to ATOMonkeys point. The more desperate they become, the more likely to go after big game. If they're hunting in packs more, who knows, they might start routinely attacking humans.

All the more reason to make sure you are armed when you're in the woods.

The pack thing could be a product of the ridiculously large numbers that exist around here anymore. Was reading recently that the estimated population is somewhere between 40 and 50K in the state. Almost time to hide the women and children. :)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The pack thing could be a product of the ridiculously large numbers that exist around here anymore. Was reading recently that the estimated population is somewhere between 40 and 50K in the state. Almost time to hide the women and children. :)

Holy crap:eek:

Wasn't there at some time in the 80s or 90s a bounty on yotes? I thought I heard somewhere that the state would pay like $10 or something for every dead coyote brought in. Was I misinformed?

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I killed a yote chasing a deer first day of bow season. Deer was MUCH bigger the that yote. I only saw one, but I bet more were around at the start.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    attack from the rear

The coyotes harry the deers rump because that isn't the pointy end. since they aren't large enough to kill a buck that size the way a cougar would with one bound and a bite they hamstring the animal so it can no longer run away. Its power to put up a fight and run away mostly comes from the hind quarters. Large artery and vein in each hind leg too. Once it can't run away they can pull it down easily.

Survival of the fittest. Not pretty but it's kept coyote eating for many moons.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    wow is right! personally, i think coyotes are over populating here in IN and I am happy to thin their numbers whenever I can do so legally. While everything has to eat...there has to be a balance and I've seen what happens when there is none. I took my nephew hunting last year and he got his first deer with a bow...there was another hunting party out there that day so there were like 8 guys hunting one section. Within an hour, coyotes had weaved their way through all those hunters and destroyed his first deer. They can be pretty bold....

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When we're out hunting, if we see a coyote, it's going to be DRT. Deer will come back around after a shot, but not if there's a predator in the area.

Haven't seen any coyote prints in the field where we hunt. We're in a tree line looking out over a bean field, and rains have made the ground very soft. If there were any coyotes running through there, there tracks would be fairly easy to spot. So far, just deer tracks.

Top Bottom