• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Looks like somebody didn't pay attention to the load charts or the computer in the crane. I bet they will next time, its all right there in front of you all you have to do is use it.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They are lucky that no one was hurt. I've been in construction for a long time and have seen people doing things with cranes that scared the crap out of me.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    that's pretty nuts.. you'd think these people would know what that crane can and can't handle.. but good thing everyone was safe..

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    It could probably handle the load but the problem was he was trying to move the load too high. Anyhow, that should be a costly mistake.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    It could probably handle the load but the problem was he was trying to move the load too high. Anyhow, that should be a costly mistake.

It handled the load just fine, all the way until it reached the tipping point and the garage caught it. :):. He extended the load to far away from the base and it got him, he really should have did the math and never let it get that far.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It handled the load just fine, all the way until it reached the tipping point and the garage caught it. :):. He extended the load to far away from the base and it got him, he really should have did the math and never let it get that far.
    +1, the issue wasn't that the load was too large, or that it was too high, it was because he took it too far from the base.

There are chart/computers/calculations that tell you how far you can reach out with a load of X weight. Seems to me somebody made the wrong calculation, made an error on the right calculation, or just didn't make the calculation at all.

I won't jump to conclusion and call anybody an idiot just yet. Nobody is perfect, and it's very possible that this was just a simple error; we all make errors.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    +1, the issue wasn't that the load was too large, or that it was too high, it was because he took it too far from the base.

There are chart/computers/calculations that tell you how far you can reach out with a load of X weight. Seems to me somebody made the wrong calculation, made an error on the right calculation, or just didn't make the calculation at all.

I won't jump to conclusion and call anybody an idiot just yet. Nobody is perfect, and it's very possible that this was just a simple error; we all make errors.

That and the water and pool toys were in it already.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    after driving a forklift for a few years... it could of been a mechanical/hydrolic failure or something to that effect...

but it very well could of just been human error as well... i dont know, i wasnt there.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    That is what happens when you rent a crane without an operator................I want to see the video on how they got the crane back to all wheels on the ground!

Me thinks they brought the wrong crane to the jobsite. Looking back, a poured in place concrete pool was cheaper than this mess!

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    after driving a forklift for a few years... it could of been a mechanical/hydrolic failure or something to that effect...

but it very well could of just been human error as well... i dont know, i wasnt there.

I vote for human error. I think that a hydraulic failure would have resulted in the boom pivoting down on the the garage without taking the rest of the rig with it. If it was another type of mechanical problem I would expect the winch to freewheel or the mast to collapse and then just the pool would have hit the ground/garage. I've spent a lot of time around cranes and heavy wreckers and I think it was a case of too much weight to far out. :twocents:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    10-12 years ago, the transmission plant had some contractors with a HUGE crane that they were using to set equipment on the roof. In order to safely move it, they had to disassemble, move it, and re-assemble which costed quite a bit each time. Someone in management decided to save money and told them to move it without taking it down. The contractors warned them about the danger and made them sign a liability waiver, after all what could go wrong? Yep, it tipped over and tore a massive hole in the roof causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the idiot that signed the waiver was probably promoted.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    If you read the youtube page for the video it gives a little news article that says that it was a computer error...

"The crane company, Truck Crane Service, told the homeowner, who did not want to be interviewed, that a computer error is to blame for the mishap. They said there was a lot of margin between the pools weight, and what the crane could handle."

Top Bottom