• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Unfortunately the camera was in the wrong place when things fell apart. You can hear the crane over-rev just before it went over. That is not normal.

Side note on the recovery, they all had to be puckering on the lift on the mast. Not knowing what is broken the mast could let go at any time. Their were probably very loud sighs of relief when the crane rigged to the front took the weight.

The initial lift looks good, I never could get a view of the main boom but that appears to be at least a 30 ton hydraulic boom crane and that pool isn't heavy even at the extension and angle it was at.

You should be at a new powerhouse when a 250 ton crawler crane with a lattice boom and a huge counterweight on axles falls and goes boom, talk about instant quiet.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Worked on a couple of them about that size. The weight of them is around 100,000 pounds. Suprised the roof fared as well as it did.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The outriggers on that end should of had most of the weight on them in the first place. If you dont expand your footprint by correctly loading and extending the outriggers then your destined to fail, as they did. A wheeled crane is only meant to be moved to the location on the tires, you dont lift anything when on the tires only.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    The outriggers on that end should of had most of the weight on them in the first place. If you dont expand your footprint by correctly loading and extending the outriggers then your destined to fail, as they did. A wheeled crane is only meant to be moved to the location on the tires, you dont lift anything when on the tires only.

Watch it again, he had all his outriggers out. The back set (towards the house) either snapped just above the ball that goes into the footing pad or they popped all the out and it didn't have a full ball on the bottom of the ram.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Yes he had the outriggers out, I was refering to the post before that had mentioned the outriggers took some of the weight when it fell, a properly configured setup would involve the weight on the outriggers before the crane fell. When I looked at the video again it looks like the pads are still attached to me.

Top Bottom