Crawfordsville Police stopped a robbery today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The results of the investigation will be interesting. After watching the video a few times, I wonder if it was an unintentional discharge and not a deliberate shot that was aimed and missed.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The results of the investigation will be interesting. After watching the video a few times, I wonder if it was an unintentional discharge and not a deliberate shot that was aimed and missed.
    Intersting theory. I believe I see the actor's gun pointing right at the cop 12 seconds in, right before the cop shot. The actor pulled his mask off rather than dropping the gun, apparently not realizing the necessity of following commands at that point.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    "We are filming a movie" are you kidding me!? Follow commands period. I don't care if im holding a bad guy at gunpoint in my house, when the cops show up it is immediately their show. Not a conversation, i assume they are not listening for what i have to say because I wasn't presented with a question...I was told what to do! Thats not even training, that should be instinct as a non leo citizen.
    Is it ego or self importance that lets you see a cop with gun drawn shouting commands, you know what it looks like by holding the gun, and you decide to converse with him vs JUST DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TOLD right friggin now?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Body cam footage released
    [video=youtube;rs-RM8BR5ec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-RM8BR5ec[/video]

Ok, well as I stated in my previous post, that went down about exactly as I thought it did from the aspect of fake bad guy comes out, is addressed by police and turns, etc.

Could be. as I would have thought an intentional shot may have been followed closely by a follow up shot, but I'll defer to Phylo and some of the other LEOs on what they would have expected given what they train, etc.

Glad no one was hurt. If there had been a bystander shot, it would be bad news for the folks shooting the movie.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Is it ego or self importance that lets you see a cop with gun drawn shouting commands, you know what it looks like by holding the gun, and you decide to converse with him vs JUST DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TOLD right friggin now?

I think it's just being focused on what you were doing and not conceiving of how it looks from the outside.

Before I had any gun training, I had no clue what might result if I pulled a shiny metal object out of my glove box (for example). I never thought about what they are thinking because I spent no time in that world (neither from the criminal nor the police standpoint).

I'm going to wager no one on that film crew had any gun experience, at least no formal training. Thus it never "clicked" with them that when you wave a gun around, it's a good way to get yourself shot.

Interesting theory about one shot meaning it was accidental (I see now why Rhino theorizes that). I was surprised he only fired 1 round but didn't make the association of possible itchy trigger finger until you all said that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it's just being focused on what you were doing and not conceiving of how it looks from the outside.

Before I had any gun training, I had no clue what might result if I pulled a shiny metal object out of my glove box (for example). I never thought about what they are thinking because I spent no time in that world (neither from the criminal nor the police standpoint).

I'm going to wager no one on that film crew had any gun experience, at least no formal training. Thus it never "clicked" with them that when you wave a gun around, it's a good way to get yourself shot.

Interesting theory about one shot meaning it was accidental (I see now why Rhino theorizes that). I was surprised he only fired 1 round but didn't make the association of possible itchy trigger finger until you all said that.

Yeah, it seemed like he wasn't expecting to shoot and hit, and maybe barely registered that the gun discharged. Your brain does weird things in very stressful situations. If he had intentionally fired, I would expect at least some indication that he didn't get any results from it. Hopefully the investigation will help us understand what really happened.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, it seemed like he wasn't expecting to shoot and hit, and maybe barely registered that the gun discharged. Your brain does weird things in very stressful situations. If he had intentionally fired, I would expect at least some indication that he didn't get any results from it. Hopefully the investigation will help us understand what really happened.

It looked to me like he fired when the guy tried to open the door and go back inside. I can understand not wanting him to go back in the building with possible more compatriots and weapons. This line of thinking could also be why after he got the perptor to lay down he took (really inadequate) cover behind the tree and kept the door covered.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This scenario reminds me a lot of a shoot/no shoot simulator scenario I used in the military years ago. It was designed for officers to help them make good decisions in confusing situations...and then grade the shooting afterwards. One of the scenarios was where a group of people backed out of a store, one of them was keeping an M16 trained back through the door. You weren't supposed to shoot that guy for some reason...my grouping was nice; but then again I wasn't a LEO.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Could be. as I would have thought an intentional shot may have been followed closely by a follow up shot, but I'll defer to Phylo and some of the other LEOs on what they would have expected given what they train, etc.

There was certainly a time when that officer would have likely fired until he observed the desired response. For officers who don't want to be indicted that time has passed. We now live in an environment where every individual round fired or blow struck will be scrutinized as an individual use of force. This is mostly due to the prevalence of video. There is usually a moment when a particular use of force transitions from being reasonable to being unreasonable. For someone watching a video, the ability to recognize when that moment occurs varies considerably from the ability of those on scene and actively involved.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There was certainly a time when that officer would have likely fired until he observed the desired response. For officers who don't want to be indicted that time has passed. We now live in an environment where every individual round fired or blow struck will be scrutinized as an individual use of force. This is mostly due to the prevalence of video. There is usually a moment when a particular use of force transitions from being reasonable to being unreasonable. For someone watching a video, the ability to recognize when that moment occurs varies considerably from the ability of those on scene and actively involved.

Having that reality in your mind when you're trying to defend your life and that of your colleagues must be nightmarish. Yet another reason why it's not hard to understand why so many good police officers are leaving the trade.

Top Bottom