• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When pushed, I bet most banks and CC Co's are anti-gun. Most don't advertise it so we give them our money for staying quiet.

My experience is that leadership in general is anti-gun. Elected leadership has to follow what people want if they want to stay in power so we have some say in that respect.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use my cash back credit card for anything I can and just pay the balance each month. It's free money. Why not?
    Ignoring the Dave Ramsey type of arguments... Law of unintended consequences.

The micro-economic scale has you winning, due to a short term loan and cash kickbacks.

The macro-economic scale has you, and all consumers, losing because the sale price now has to be inflated 3% to compensate for the retailer's expense of processing that card.

Then there's the whole social impact of forcing our society into a dependence on electronic transactions (and everlasting records) with only a few massive banking institutions controlling commerce.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ignoring the Dave Ramsey type of arguments... Law of unintended consequences.

The micro-economic scale has you winning, due to a short term loan and cash kickbacks.

The macro-economic scale has you, and all consumers, losing because the sale price now has to be inflated 3% to compensate for the retailer's expense of processing that card.

Then there's the whole social impact of forcing our society into a dependence on electronic transactions (and everlasting records) with only a few massive banking institutions controlling commerce.

Yep, but really it's too late, the horse is out of the stable on this, and you are paying that markup anyway, now that it is the norm, unless there is a cash discount being provided.

And yes, I get the concern on the electronic transaction, but there are also some protections that go along with that (granted there are some risks obviously as well).

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    For the last 10 years I have not had any credit cards. I too was in the mindset that if I don't have cash I don't need it right now. I don't have any other credit type accounts either, The house was bought by my wife before we were married so the credit goes to her. I recently went looking at trucks because mine is starting to nickel and dime me to death (210k on it). When the finance people came to talk to me they showed me my credit and I had a score of 000. I had to get a secured Credit card just to begin building credit again. I could have gotten the loan but my interest would have been 19.9%, not because of bad credit just lack of it.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I use my cc for everything and pay it off every month, the cash back rewards it’s like they are paying me to use their money! I also don’t understand why people use their debit card instead of their cc, much safer using cc than debit card.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    If you're not enjoying free trips, hotel stays, dinner, rental cars, etc. by playing the card game, you're missing out.

Most people can't trust themselves with credit like most people can't trust themselves around guns. However, if your mindset is "free money", yes, stay away from CC's.
    If you're into the rewards game, sign up and only spend what YOU ALREADY HAVE FUNDS TO PAY IT OFF WITH. < This is the

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    For the last 10 years I have not had any credit cards. I too was in the mindset that if I don't have cash I don't need it right now. I don't have any other credit type accounts either, The house was bought by my wife before we were married so the credit goes to her. I recently went looking at trucks because mine is starting to nickel and dime me to death (210k on it). When the finance people came to talk to me they showed me my credit and I had a score of 000. I had to get a secured Credit card just to begin building credit again. I could have gotten the loan but my interest would have been 19.9%, not because of bad credit just lack of it.

i dumped my credit cards 13 years ago, and basically dont have a credit score. only thing i had to make payments on was the mortgage. just bought a new car last month, got better a better interest rate using the wife as the primary, and she hasnt had any income for 10 years.... :dunno:

:cheers:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    If you're into the rewards game, sign up and only spend what YOU ALREADY HAVE FUNDS TO PAY IT OFF WITH. < This is the

I agree with this 100%. A credit card is just a convenience.

The hardcore Ramsey types are noble in cause but not practical. I’m not going to give up the convenience and the Cabela’s points. Who doesn’t like “free” guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    But what cards are people using to get the best perks?

I don't travel so miles mean nothing to me. I want cash back of some kind.

We have one thru State Farm Bank and use the perks to pay off personal insurance premiums. Recently switched from a local credit union to an American Express Lowes card. The rate is higher, but I get 5% off at Lowes and more bonus elsewhere. Couple places do not accept American Express tho.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But what cards are people using to get the best perks?

I don't travel so miles mean nothing to me. I want cash back of some kind.

We have one thru State Farm Bank and use the perks to pay off personal insurance premiums. Recently switched from a local credit union to an American Express Lowes card. The rate is higher, but I get 5% off at Lowes and more bonus elsewhere. Couple places do not accept American Express tho.

There's a few sites that will help you decided what's right for you.

Myself, I want strings-free money, so Discover Card has been good. Plus, they aren't *******s like many others (See Capital One gun debacle), and their commercials are overly annoying.

The downside is the limited acceptance, especially abroad.

drawer86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Morgantown
    I'm surprised that credit card company's are even in business because ALL of their customers pay them off every month, never pay interest.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm surprised that credit card company's are even in business because ALL of their customers pay them off every month, never pay interest.

Like I said, they charge the retailer a processing fee. ...which you pay for with higher prices.

Don't worry, the bank gets money from you no matter what.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There's a few sites that will help you decided what's right for you.

Myself, I want strings-free money, so Discover Card has been good. Plus, they aren't *******s like many others (See Capital One gun debacle), and their commercials are overly annoying.

The downside is the limited acceptance, especially abroad.

And all of Discover's customer service is in the US as well... this is a bonus, when you need to speak/chat/email someone.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I just found out my Discover dropped price protection in October so I need a new credit card as well. My Capital one card apparently doesn't even offer it. Has anyone got a company that still does? It is pretty handy to buy your guns and suppressors local, but get the price difference kicked back.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well damn...

I had a BoA Bass Pro card, until they went all anti hard. They dropped the relationship with basspro, and transferred to capital one with the cabelas/bass pro rewards in early October.
    We use the hell out of it each month and pay it off, basically for the rewards. About every 3 months we get about $100 to spend there. Handy for powder, bullets, etc...

What's this about capital one now being anti?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Local gun shop now adds 3% fee for in store purchases. I thought it was just on Gun Broker...........

In my experience. It is 3% only on a credit card. If you pay cash no 3%. In a store I know in particular if its debit it's no fee. They do that because the they get charged a 3% fee running a credit card.

When you figure in mark up on new guns is only 10-15%. Then you swipe a credit card they just lost 20% of there profit on that purchase. It's why I normally always pay cash.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Been using USbanks flexperks. We get to fly free with our points and rental car free once or twice a year, and that's almost 2k in perks.

Top Bottom