• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Once an individual proves to be a range pest, they should be officially banned.

Any weird strangers hovering around me while I'm concentrating on shooting is going to have their ass handed to them... And this is no idle threat.
    Not to mention the fact that if he is mentally challenged, who would want to hand him a loaded weapon to shoot. I would never do this with a person that I did not know. Don't want to have to hand someone their a$$ or get shot and have my guns stolen.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would have complained to the RO on duty also!! Defiantly not let a stranger shoot my gun with my ammo!! I think you handled it well!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So. Gareth, you're saying you'll beat someone for talking to you and disturbing your tranquility.

Good luck with that. That's a good way to get arrested, prosecuted and maybe convicted. A good way to become no longer a "proper person" due to documented evidence of instability and violence, and have your LTCH revoked. You might also end up with a felony conviction.

Obviously none of that is guaranteed, but that's the risk you're talking about taking, all because some guy annoyed you.

I truly hope I'm misunderstanding you because I'm tired...

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    New Castle
    I quit going there years ago when some mexican who spoke no english started rapid firing a 1911 after the ro left.He was hiding it till then.He had this crazy look in his eye and was only shooting 5 ft in front of him hitting the ground.I quit going then now I pay for a private membership not far from there.Safer

Where is this private place you speak of not far from WW? I might have to look into that.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So. Gareth, you're saying you'll beat someone for talking to you and disturbing your tranquility.

You're definitely misconstruing the context of my response to the OP.

Good luck with that. That's a good way to get arrested, prosecuted and maybe convicted. A good way to become no longer a "proper person" due to documented evidence of instability and violence, and have your LTCH revoked. You might also end up with a felony conviction.

It wouldn't be the first time I was arrested for a BS charge that was dismissed later in court. And if I have to timidly behave as if I were an animated welcome mat to keep my LTCH, the State of Indiana can most certainly have it back.

Obviously none of that is guaranteed, but that's the risk you're talking about taking, all because some guy annoyed you.

I'm willing to take that risk when I feel my safety is threatened by some idiot. A fellow club member informed he was in the process of changing targets at another range he once belonged to when some moron commenced discharging their firearm. I asked him if he left that stupid idiot standing. He said he did. And I asked why, because I wouldn't have.

I truly hope I'm misunderstanding you because I'm tired...

I'm tired too. My wife and I shopped at a local WalMart yesterday, and we encountered some of the sorriest excuses to represent humanity that even I thought existed in this increasingly insane world.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm tired too. My wife and I shopped at a local WalMart yesterday, and we encountered some of the sorriest excuses to represent humanity that even I thought existed in this increasingly insane world.

You know, I used to feel that way sometimes too. But then I realized that somewhere, somebody thinks the same thing of me probably. Somewhere out there are people who are smarter, wealthier, more educated, more physically fit, etc. We're all somebody's "sorry excuse for humanity." I think people should keep that in mind when they go around feeling superior to Walmart people or range creepers who very likely have some sort of mental handicap. :twocents:

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You know, I used to feel that way sometimes too. But then I realized that somewhere, somebody thinks the same thing of me probably. Somewhere out there are people who are smarter, wealthier, more educated, more physically fit, etc. We're all somebody's "sorry excuse for humanity." I think people should keep that in mind when they go around feeling superior to Walmart people or range creepers who very likely have some sort of mental handicap. :twocents:

Thank you for the philosophy lesson that was obviously intended to make me appear to be the bad guy here. But it sounds to me as if you've compromised whatever convictions you possess to blend right in with the dweebs. That's my :twocents:.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You're definitely misconstruing the context of my response to the OP.

I'm glad to hear that.

It wouldn't be the first time I was arrested for a BS charge that was dismissed later in court. And if I have to timidly behave as if I were an animated welcome mat to keep my LTCH, the State of Indiana can most certainly have it back.

Wait... what?

I'm willing to take that risk when I feel my safety is threatened by some idiot. A fellow club member informed he was in the process of changing targets at another range he once belonged to when some moron commenced discharging their firearm. I asked him if he left that stupid idiot standing. He said he did. And I asked why, because I wouldn't have.

Here I thought I was misconstruing what you said. Apparently I wasn't. You'll "take that risk" and beat someone's a** simply for bothering you, when a "reasonable man" wouldn't see the risk to your safety. We aren't talking about some different situation where a guy is actually putting you in fear for your life or something. We're talking about a guy who comes up and talks to people, and annoys them.

You lament the "increasingly insane world" and at the same time you talk about beating people up because they interrupted your day. Based on your stated willingness and intent to beat someone up just because he walked up and talked to you and annoyed you, guess what category you should probably be in. Did you talk to these "sorriest excuses"? Do you personally know them? If not, then on what do you base that sort of opinion? Their clothes? Were their shirts the wrong color? Too tight? Were they too heavy? Were they too skinny? Was their hair too long? Too short? Were they French? What exactly puts them in that category?

Responses in red. The bottom line is, you can't just beat someone up and "hand them their ass" because they annoy you. And THAT is what this whole conversation has been about. NOBODY has been put in fear of death by this guy. NOBODY. Believe me, I wish we COULD beat people up sometimes. Some people deserve it. But we can't, because that's not how society works. I'm truly saddened by even having to explain this.

Thank you for the philosophy lesson that was obviously intended to make me appear to be the bad guy here. But it sounds to me as if you've compromised whatever convictions you possess to blend right in with the dweebs. That's my :twocents:.

Yup... makin' friends!

Last edited:

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Responses in red. The bottom line is, you can't just beat someone up and "hand them their ass" because they annoy you. And THAT is what this whole conversation has been about. NOBODY has been put in fear of death by this guy. NOBODY. Believe me, I wish we COULD beat people up sometimes. Some people deserve it. But we can't, because that's not how society works. I'm truly saddened by even having to explain this.

Yup... makin' friends!

Your personal opinion regarding my character has been duly noted, and just as duly disregarded.

You can also stop attempting to bait me into one of those senseless, and unceasing personal flame wars I have learned to avoid. I've stated my peace regarding the topic. Now I'm moving on. Have a good day. :)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Your personal opinion regarding my character has been duly noted, and just as duly disregarded.

You can also stop attempting to bait me into one of those senseless, and unceasing personal flame wars I have learned to avoid. I've stated my peace regarding the topic. Now I'm moving on. Have a good day. :)

Have a good day yourself. Try to not beat someone up for annoying you.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

From the descriptions of this "creeper" it sounds like he may have some sort of mental issues. So, yes, you talking about "handing him his ass" for simply approaching you DOES make you the bad guy. It'll also make you a special guest in the county jail should you actually do what it appears you're suggesting you'd do. And if by "compromising my convictions to blend in with the dweebs" you mean not looking down on random strangers for some unspecified set of traits then I guess I'm guilty of that. I guess it's safe to assume that you're obviously not in the "sorry excuse for humanity" camp, or the "dweebs" camp. We're all very impressed by your superiority to those you encounter daily. :yesway:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM[/ame]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If he is truly mentally handicapped, I'd hate to be liable for putting a weapon in his hand. The RO could also end up on the wrong side of a liability case as well as a tragic incident.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If he is truly mentally handicapped, I'd hate to be liable for putting a weapon in his hand. The RO could also end up on the wrong side of a liability case as well as a tragic incident.
    This is a good summarization. If he is unstable or has special needs, IMO he doesn't belong there. This is how accidents happen. Does he ever bring a firearm? Is he "allowed" to have them? Why does he always want to shoot other peoples guns? Sorry, he needs to go away and this will deter any problems from the start. I shouldn't have to fear some idiot, psycho, or mentally challenged individual at a firing range.

We all know guns kill people already (News says so), but why give them another reason to talk about the crazy gun owners who go around shooting everyone and how irresponsible we are?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From the descriptions of this "creeper" it sounds like he may have some sort of mental issues. So, yes, you talking about "handing him his ass" for simply approaching you DOES make you the bad guy. It'll also make you a special guest in the county jail should you actually do what it appears you're suggesting you'd do. And if by "compromising my convictions to blend in with the dweebs" you mean not looking down on random strangers for some unspecified set of traits then I guess I'm guilty of that. I guess it's safe to assume that you're obviously not in the "sorry excuse for humanity" camp, or the "dweebs" camp. We're all very impressed by your superiority to those you encounter daily. :yesway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM

+1 Well put!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Very well put, but do you really expect to get through to Mr. Congeniality?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Everyone is getting worked up over this thread. Bottom line is that this creepy dude should not be pulling the crap he is pulling no matter who is shooting and who is in charge of the range. Everyone reacts to people like that in different ways for different reasons. I would not try to judge what others say here just because it may sound callous to me because I have not walked in their shoes. I think a guy wandering around the range acting like that would set any one of us on edge, I know it would me, and if he persisted it would tick me off big time. Shooting should be fun, but deadly serious at the same time, and some shooters might feel threatened by this guys presence. Wheather or not getting physical with this guy is lawful or not, the possibility of this creeper pulling a gun grab on you and shooting you with your own firearm is a possibility. I'm just saying, it could be dangerous.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I am a member at two different ranges around here and more often then not when I go, there is no one else there. I like it that way because most of the time I have my two boys with me and it is better to have the place to myself so I can concentrate on them being safe. We did go to the range at Quaker-town once and it was ok, but it's much better when it is just us.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just saw, this thread, tonite, and have been shooting at W W, for years, I did not know this guy, existed, until now, the last time, I was at W W, was either, April 3rd, or 10th, and I did not see, or was bothered, by this guy, but will keep my eyes open. If you go during the week, and the RO, doesn't do anything, go to the building, across the street, and talk, to the person, behind the desk ... Don't know, if it will help, but couldn't hurt ..... The last decent, RO, was a Combat Veteran, N G, I think, was going to change jobs, or get deployed again, can't remember which ..... gettin old .....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is always unfortunate when someones day is disturbed by another person who doesn't understand how to be polite. Some of this comes from upbringing, in which case I want to slap the hell out of bad parents.

On the other hand...

I have a friend/acquaintance who has Asperger Syndrome. He is extremely bright with a college degree and a great memory. However he has absolutely no social graces whatsoever. This isn't intentional, and you can try to tell him what to do better, but his brain just isn't wired for reading facial or body language. If he wants to talk to you or ask you something he'll just walk up and do it. Complete stranger or no.

With that in mind he will never talk about stuff that he doesn't know about! He doesn't try to impress people by how great or knowledgeable he is on a certain subject.

A mild case of Autism might also mimic certain unsocial behavior.

If you want to see a good portrayal of functional Autism watch "Temple Grandin" on HBO. This woman now has her doctorate in Animal Husbandry but if you just met her on the street she would come across as a very strange person.

All that said the RO should have stepped in more aggressively by speaking to this person and telling them what they were allowed to do and not to do. OR if the RO was very familiar with this person to inform you, "Hey, this is my friend/cousin/neighbor who is really interested in guns. He may want to talk to you and has no social graces. Please don't take him the wrong way and if he bothers you tell him to please go away and he will." A more proactive RO could have at least mitigated a bad experience into a mildly annoying one.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom