• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I guess I'll put this here and see if I can get a solid answer.

I was told that in Illinois that a misdemeanor reckless driving automatically disqualifies you from becoming a police officer. After looking up all the statutes and criminal codes I don't see reckless driving being mentioned, but then I was told that it is a crime of moral turpitude therefore the disqualifying factor.

Can anyone give me a solid definitive answer on whether or not misdemeanor reckless driving is in fact a disqualifying factor criminally in Illinois? If not is it disqualifying because it is a crime of moral turpitude?

Everything I am coming up with leads me to believe it is neither.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I guess I'll put this here and see if I can get a solid answer.

I was told that in Illinois that a misdemeanor reckless driving automatically disqualifies you from becoming a police officer. After looking up all the statutes and criminal codes I don't see reckless driving being mentioned, but then I was told that it is a crime of moral turpitude therefore the disqualifying factor.

Can anyone give me a solid definitive answer on whether or not misdemeanor reckless driving is in fact a disqualifying factor criminally in Illinois? If not is it disqualifying because it is a crime of moral turpitude?

Everything I am coming up with leads me to believe it is neither.

I know nothing about Illinois law or hiring standards for police so I can't answer that. I would suggest calling the department to which the application is being made and ask.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I'm being told it's in accordance with the Illinois police training board standards so I assume that encompasses all departments in Illinois.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    (50 ILCS 705/6) (from Ch. 85, par. 506)
    Sec. 6. Selection and certification of schools. The Board shall select and certify schools within the State of Illinois for the purpose of providing basic training for probationary police officers, probationary county corrections officers, and court security officers and of providing advanced or in-service training for permanent police officers or permanent county corrections officers, which schools may be either publicly or privately owned and operated. In addition, the Board has the following power and duties:
    a. To require local governmental units to furnish

such reports and information as the Board deems necessary to fully implement this Act.
    b. To establish appropriate mandatory minimum

standards relating to the training of probationary local law enforcement officers or probationary county corrections officers.
    c. To provide appropriate certification to those

probationary officers who successfully complete the prescribed minimum standard basic training course.
    d. To review and approve annual training curriculum

for county sheriffs.
    e. To review and approve applicants to ensure no

applicant is admitted to a certified academy unless the applicant is a person of good character and has not been convicted of a felony offense, any of the misdemeanors in Sections 11-1.50, 11-6, 11-9.1, 11-14, 11-17, 11-19, 12-2, 12-15, 16-1, 17-1, 17-2, 28-3, 29-1, 31-1, 31-6, 31-7, 32-4a, or 32-7 of the Criminal Code of 1961 or the Criminal Code of 2012, subdivision (a)(1) or (a)(2)(C) of Section 11-14.3 of the Criminal Code of 1961 or the Criminal Code of 2012, or subsection (a) of Section 17-32 of the Criminal Code of 1961 or the Criminal Code of 2012, or Section 5 or 5.2 of the Cannabis Control Act, or a crime involving moral turpitude under the laws of this State or any other state which if committed in this State would be punishable as a felony or a crime of moral turpitude. The Board may appoint investigators who shall enforce the duties conferred upon the Board by this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 96-1551, eff. 7-1-11; 97-1150, eff. 1-25-13.)

I just can't find where it's stated that reckless driving is a crime including moral turpitude, or why it even would be?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mrs E is close to being a massage therapist, which is in fact a limited medical practice. In Marion County, she would be confronted with the prospect of filing for a license as a "massage parlor", and one of the questions asked on the application is whether any of the principals have been convicted of "moral turpitude." The whole thing is ridiculous to a level of ridiculosity that challenges the psyche. It's archaic and insulting. It's (probably) a good thing we're in Hamilton County, but we'll find that out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Normally reckless driving would not be a "crime of moral turpitude", but I suppose it could depend on the circumstances.

My question: who told you this and is there a reason you should believe them?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What's the connection between morals and paint thinner?

Oh, never mind. That was turpitude, not turpentine.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I'm loathe to link wikipedia but it does have a decent list - Moral turpitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may also want to check;
    http://www.vongeyso.com/files/images/cimt_list.pdf

I have seen both, and it looks like the closest thing to reckless driving is aggravated dui. I have sent an email to the board. I plan on calling if I don't receive a response.

I just don't see how reckless driving is a crime of moral turpitude unless there were aggravating circumstances.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    It's a little strange they included that, as typically it is only really a consideration when applying for immigration

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Well I contacted the board and they responded, but still didn't receive a definitive answer. Simply that I read the statute correctly, and the hiring agency has discretion. They never answered whether or not reckless driving is indeed a crime including moral turpitude. That is my main question though is reckless driving indeed a crime including moral turpitude.

That being said if there is anyone that may be able to chime in it would very much appreciated. I'm going to continue digging and am going to inquire with the agency that is telling me this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the issue may be that "reckless driving" can mean so many things. They may want to reserve the right to look at the underlying facts of what made it reckless. Here's an out-of-the-blue, speculative example: Maybe driving 95 in a 70 zone can be "reckless driving", but it probably wouldn't keep you from being a LEO. However, maybe a plea bargain on a DUI, reduced to "reckless driving" would.

I don't know. Like I said, it's speculation.

Top Bottom