• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    With my job I drive a lot of miles so I am working to develop / refine my car bag. I will post pictures and list everything that I currently have in the bag as well as list items that I am planning to add in the near future.

My goal is to have a dedicated car bag that is never removed from the car and has essentials for emergencies that I may encounter while traveling.

Please shoot me any pointers you may have. Let me know what I am missing, what I have but don't need, what I need less of or more of etc etc...

View attachment 44231 View attachment 44232 View attachment 44233 View attachment 44234

Bag: 5.11 Rush 12
    GI IFAK (quick clot, tourniquet, chest seal, needle decompression kit, ace bandages, gauze, etc)
    550 Cord
    Poncho
    Tactical / work gloves
    (2) Orange reflective belt
    Note pad
    Pen
    Magnetic LED flashlight / blinking red light (can be attached to car in a breakdown situation
    J5 Tactical LED flashlight (Compact)
    Illumibrite flashlight (1000 Lumens, Full Size)
    Compass
    (2) non load bearing Nite Size S-Biner
    Earplugs
    (2) Neck gators
    Sunglasses
    Gerber multi tool
    Ka-Bar 9" fixed blade
    (2) gallon size ziplock freezer bags
    Columbia winter gloves
    (4) Glow sticks
    Rubber bands
    Large bandages, Sterile strips, alcohol prep etc in large clear bag

Third picture shows: True Spec med pouch with the following inside:
    (6) moist towelettes
    (6) standard band aides
    (2) Bic lighters
    (4) hand warmers
    (1) sandwich size ziplock bag
    (1) hotel shampoo
    (1) small hand sanitizer bottle
    (1) Blister
    (1) chapstick
    (3) AA batteries
    (8) paperclips
    Several safety pins
    (4) large binder clips
    (4) small binder clips

Being that I am often wearing dress or business casual clothes I also keep my Merrel MOAB's and a pair of jeans in the trunk.

Items that I have listed to add: please make suggestions here on what and where to acquire items

Whistle
    Water filtration system (suggestions?)
    Map
    Spool tool for paracord
    Waterproof matches
    Compact survival food
    Thomas Glover Pocket Reference book
    Bug repellent
    Crank Radio, solar, charger
    Zip ties
    Fleece cap
    Duct tape
    Triple anti biotic
    Advil
    Rain jacket / pants

I am not opposed to acquiring a new bag if you believe one may be a better fit than my Rush 12. I am also working on an EDC bag that will be a smaller bag that is more minimalistic in scope, potentially better suited for my mild hiking trips that would accommodate a secondary firearm to my EDC G19 that I carry on body. If there is a pair of bags that fit both of these roles but in certain situations could be attached to one another and efficiently carried, I would be interested in that.

Thanks for reading guys. I look forward to hearing your advice.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I suggest a warm blanket
    a couple emergency thermal blankets
    either road flares, or reflective road triangles
    jumper cables

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Are those reflective armbands in the first picture?
    Maybe having a full reflective vest could be better, should you have to change a tire at night or walk on the side of the road to go get some gas.

Possibbly a gas can as well (not that it would fit in your bag so maybe it's irrelevant).

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    A couple pair of socks would be a good idea. I have yet to find the perfect sock. Keep my feet warm but wicks away sweat. 70% wool and no cotton is a good start.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Food?

You're going to need body fuel, especially in weather like this.

Maybe something for quick carbs (chewy granola or?), and some pouches of nut butter/chicken/salmon/sardines/tuna/etc. for quick and easy protein, or your favorite trail mix.

EDIT: Ah, I see it now - "compact survival food"

Out of curiosity, were you thinking along the lines mentioned above, something like mainstay bars, or something else entirely?

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I suggest a warm blanket
    a couple emergency thermal blankets
    either road flares, or reflective road triangles
    jumper cables

I have one thermal blanket in the pack that I forgot to list. I plan do add one or two more plus a fleece blanket or two for the trunk.

I will definitely add flares, road triangles and jumper cables. Thanks for the help!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Are those reflective armbands in the first picture?
    Maybe having a full reflective vest could be better, should you have to change a tire at night or walk on the side of the road to go get some gas.

Possibbly a gas can as well (not that it would fit in your bag so maybe it's irrelevant).

They are reflective belts.

The gas can is not irrelevant by any means. Obviously not a bag item but it is definitely a trunk item that I do not have. During the process of refining this bag I am also going to be adding a few items to the trunk (jumper cables for example). I do not want to have a trunk full of crap I don't need but I want essential items to address an emergency.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Food?

You're going to need body fuel, especially in weather like this.

Maybe something for quick carbs (chewy granola or?), and some pouches of nut butter/chicken/salmon/sardines/tuna/etc. for quick and easy protein, or your favorite trail mix.

EDIT: Ah, I see it now - "compact survival food"

Out of curiosity, were you thinking along the lines mentioned above, something like mainstay bars, or something else entirely?

Thanks for the reply.

Historically I have kept a cliff bar or two in my pack. I may expand on that with more items similar to the cliff bar. I have also looked at some "real" survival food: Purpose built if you will, long shelf life high in calories etc. Kind of like a mini MRE.... on that note, I do have several cases of MREs.... Problem solved? What do you think?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Don't forget trash bags and latex or nitrile gloves. (Trash bags can be used for almost everything from makeshift shelters to bedding.)

I also carry a tow strap. (Optional)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd swap out the jeans for a good pair of wool or synthetic pants with a pair of long underwear. At least for winter. Denim is just about the worst insulator there is. In the warmer months jeans would be okay.

As for food, a jar of peanut butter is a simple portable protein and calorie source.

A couple of other nice to have items might be:
    Some type of small folding saw or hatchet in case you have to gather / process wood
    Esbit camp stove
    Empty coffee can. I have one stuffed with tea bags. You can use the can to boil / sanitize water. The tea will add a little flavor if you're stuck with a not so great tasting water source.
    Spare mags / ammo for your edc (if applicable).
    At least 3 liters of bottled water.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom