• ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've got a lot of questions for you...
    And before we start, I build little ammo can kits for relatives and very close friends as a hobby. And it looks like you're more in the duffle bag territory.
    Most so far are focused on adding. And I might be more helpful to you from the subtracting side.

Bag: 5.11 Rush 12
    GI IFAK (quick clot, tourniquet, chest seal, needle decompression kit, ace bandages, gauze, etc) do you know how to use all of this? if not, get rid of it. are there other things that can substitute or be dual use? i.e. ace bandage actually is a tourniquet, if you have a pencil...
    550 Cord Double what you have.
    Poncho Love it. Get two
    Tactical / work gloves Substitue A set of leather gloves slightly bigger than you would ordinarily wear and a set of wool liner gloves.
    (2) Orange reflective belt Eliminate
    Note pad Good
    Pen Replace with pencil, unless you were using a bic style pen that you were prepared to use as a tracheyotomy tool.
    Magnetic LED flashlight / blinking red light (can be attached to car in a breakdown situation eliminate
    J5 Tactical LED flashlight (Compact) keep
    Illumibrite flashlight (1000 Lumens, Full Size) duplication. eliminate if you trust your first choice. or substitue if this is better than above.
    Compass good
    (2) non load bearing Nite Size S-Biner eliminate. and learn knots.
    Earplugs elimnate
    (2) Neck gators eliminate maybe substitue hat or scarf? this is too specific and has limited dual purposes.
    Sunglasses I will include a pair in my kit from now on. great idea. i'm going to put some readers in my kit too.. fire starter in a pinch
    Gerber multi tool yep
    Ka-Bar 9" fixed blade eliminate. your gerber will do what you need.
    (2) gallon size ziplock freezer bags if you can store stuff inside of them, they'll take less space.
    Columbia winter gloves elimnate. see suggestion on tactial /work gloves above
    (4) Glow sticks yes. stock with different colors too. a red glow stick, tied to a length of paracord vigorously slung around in circles is an effective signalling device at night
    Rubber bands they deteriorate so quickly. learn your knots.
    Large bandages, Sterile strips, alcohol prep etc in large clear bag only carry what you know how to use. consider a stapler for your trauma kit.

Third picture shows: True Spec med pouch with the following inside:
    (6) moist towelettes eliminate, unless you're eating ribs.
    (6) standard band aides eliminate
    (2) Bic lighters always helpful
    (4) hand warmers eliminate, you have gloves and fire material
    (1) sandwich size ziplock bag only if they are storing something else. this duplicates your other bags.
    (1) hotel shampoo unless you're planning on shampooing a hotel, eliminate.
    (1) small hand sanitizer bottle eliminate
    (1) Blister don't know what you are saying here.
    (1) chapstick good, its an EXCELLENT fire starter dual use
    (3) AA batteries only if they fit in your flashlight above.
    (8) paperclips I'd rather have a small coil of wire
    Several safety pins they are so tiny, why not.
    (4) large binder clips why?
    (4) small binder clips why?

Being that I am often wearing dress or business casual clothes I also keep my Merrel MOAB's and a pair of jeans in the trunk. would coveralls be more compact?

Items that I have listed to add: please make suggestions here on what and where to acquire items

Whistle useful at sea. on land, learn two fingers whistle.
    Water filtration system (suggestions?) Life Straw, cheap and long shelf life.
    Map I have a road atlas for north america. maps are good. and dual use for firestarting.
    Spool tool for paracord learn how to coil.
    Waterproof matches sure, they are tiny a small box
    Compact survival food yep. calories keep you alive. carbs make life worth living.
    Thomas Glover Pocket Reference book eliminate
    Bug repellent yep
    Crank Radio, solar, charger i'm conflicted on this. lots of personal/family reasons. we're going where we said we are going. PM me for details.
    Zip ties learn knots
    Fleece cap sure, store things in it, but wasn't that in the list above?
    Duct tape eliminate unless you're the mythbusters, i think it has limited use in realistic quantities.
    Triple anti biotic if you have a normal immune system, this has limited value.
    Advil add aspirin and any other painkillers you have on perscription.
    Rain jacket / pants eliminate, you have a poncho and coveralls.

Me, I'd add a .22 revolver and 100 rnds of ammo.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I've got a lot of questions for you...
    And before we start, I build little ammo can kits for relatives and very close friends as a hobby. And it looks like you're more in the duffle bag territory.
    Most so far are focused on adding. And I might be more helpful to you from the subtracting side.

Bag: 5.11 Rush 12
    GI IFAK (quick clot, tourniquet, chest seal, needle decompression kit, ace bandages, gauze, etc) do you know how to use all of this? if not, get rid of it. are there other things that can substitute or be dual use? i.e. ace bandage actually is a tourniquet, if you have a pencil...
    I do know how to use these items.
    550 Cord Double what you have.
    Poncho Love it. Get two
    Tactical / work gloves Substitue A set of leather gloves slightly bigger than you would ordinarily wear and a set of wool liner gloves. I do have a pair(s) set up like this that were issued to me in the Army. I will add them.
    (2) Orange reflective belt Eliminate Why?
    Note pad Good
    Pen Replace with pencil, unless you were using a bic style pen that you were prepared to use as a tracheotomy tool. Why not use a pen?
    Magnetic LED flashlight / blinking red light (can be attached to car in a breakdown situation eliminate. Again, Why? This light is very powerful not only with the flashing red light mode but also has a white LED mode that is very powerful and cast light on a very broad area. Would be very handy when changing a tire or doing some other task that calls for more than just direct lighting.
    J5 Tactical LED flashlight (Compact) keep
    Illumibrite flashlight (1000 Lumens, Full Size) duplication. eliminate if you trust your first choice. or substitue if this is better than above.
    Compass good
    (2) non load bearing Nite Size S-Biner eliminate. and learn knots.
    Earplugs elimnate
    (2) Neck gators eliminate maybe substitue hat or scarf? this is too specific and has limited dual purposes. I am a firm believer in the gaiter neck. It takes up very little space and makes a huge difference in overall body warmth when worn. Ive done enough ruck marches in the cold / snow to have developed a strong opinion, haha.
    Sunglasses I will include a pair in my kit from now on. great idea. i'm going to put some readers in my kit too.. fire starter in a pinch
    Gerber multi tool yep
    Ka-Bar 9" fixed blade eliminate. your gerber will do what you need.
    (2) gallon size ziplock freezer bags if you can store stuff inside of them, they'll take less space.
    Columbia winter gloves elimnate. see suggestion on tactial /work gloves above
    (4) Glow sticks yes. stock with different colors too. a red glow stick, tied to a length of paracord vigorously slung around in circles is an effective signalling device at night
    Rubber bands they deteriorate so quickly. learn your knots.
    Large bandages, Sterile strips, alcohol prep etc in large clear bag only carry what you know how to use. consider a stapler for your trauma kit.

Third picture shows: True Spec med pouch with the following inside:
    (6) moist towelettes eliminate, unless you're eating ribs. ​I probably won't have any fresh ribs on me so I guess Ill go ahead an eliminate these lol
    (6) standard band aides eliminate
    (2) Bic lighters always helpful
    (4) hand warmers eliminate, you have gloves and fire material
    (1) sandwich size ziplock bag only if they are storing something else. this duplicates your other bags.
    (1) hotel shampoo unless you're planning on shampooing a hotel, eliminate.
    (1) small hand sanitizer bottle eliminate
    (1) Blister don't know what you are saying here. Blistex*
    (1) chapstick good, its an EXCELLENT fire starter dual use
    (3) AA batteries only if they fit in your flashlight above.
    (8) paperclips I'd rather have a small coil of wire
    Several safety pins they are so tiny, why not.
    (4) large binder clips why?
    (4) small binder clips why?

Being that I am often wearing dress or business casual clothes I also keep my Merrel MOAB's and a pair of jeans in the trunk. would coveralls be more compact? I doubt it. But they may be a better solution. Easier to throw on over whatever I am currently wearing rather than changing into jeans.

Items that I have listed to add: please make suggestions here on what and where to acquire items

Whistle useful at sea. on land, learn two fingers whistle.
    Water filtration system (suggestions?) Life Straw, cheap and long shelf life.
    Map I have a road atlas for north america. maps are good. and dual use for firestarting.
    Spool tool for paracord learn how to coil.
    Waterproof matches sure, they are tiny a small box
    Compact survival food yep. calories keep you alive. carbs make life worth living. :rockwoot:
    Thomas Glover Pocket Reference book eliminate
    Bug repellent yep
    Crank Radio, solar, charger i'm conflicted on this. lots of personal/family reasons. we're going where we said we are going. PM me for details.
    Zip ties learn knots
    Fleece cap sure, store things in it, but wasn't that in the list above?
    Duct tape eliminate unless you're the mythbusters, i think it has limited use in realistic quantities.​ I don't carry a big roll. Just a small amount.
    Triple anti biotic if you have a normal immune system, this has limited value.
    Advil add aspirin and any other painkillers you have on perscription.
    Rain jacket / pants eliminate, you have a poncho and coveralls. A rain jacket with pants is a completely different animal than a poncho. Much more effective to keep your body dry. I keep this for myself. The poncho is effective to provide to someone else in need.

Me, I'd add a .22 revolver and 100 rnds of ammo. I like this idea. I had considered a 10/22 take down for the car as well. Obvious advantages to each one. I am going to the 1500 on Saturday. Maybe Ill keep an eye out for a revolver.

See above.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I agree with much of what all have contributed above, that's good advice. I regularly drive 150-300 miles for work and have a similar kit and expanded FAK in my car but I have at least 6 days of food, a tent and a full change of clothes. I also carry, especially this time of year, a change of winter clothes (jacket hats gloves) for all my family that could be in the car. Love having the 10/22 takedown in the car and also leave a P226 in there along with the two I EDC.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    consider old army woodland camo gortex rain pants and jacket - real good at repelling rain, comfortable, help you disappear if needed. The ACU pattern = worthless!!!! if you want digital - go with the Marines woodland digital - much more effective at disappearing. Totally agree with learning knot tying. The bowline and figure 8 knots cover 90% of what you need to use 550 cord for and they are both REALLY easy to learn and remember

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    not much to add other than you might want to consider 2 bags--or rather a smaller bag-in-a-bag--for emergency items to be used if you're staying with the car as opposed to leaving it. FWIW for water filtration, I got a 'sawyer mini'. It not much larger than a C cell battery but it's a bit more versatile than a straw filter.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    not much to add other than you might want to consider 2 bags--or rather a smaller bag-in-a-bag--for emergency items to be used if you're staying with the car as opposed to leaving it. FWIW for water filtration, I got a 'sawyer mini'. It not much larger than a C cell battery but it's a bit more versatile than a straw filter.

I picked up a maxpedition versipanck fatboy this weekend to do exactly that. I am going to load out the more extensive bag to be kept in the trunk (5.11 Rush 12). The new Maxpedition bag is going to be used for the basics that can ride in the passenger seat and be easily accessible.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Synthetic towel. If you get wet, like working on or digging out the vehicle, you need to dry off. A small synthetic towel or even just a rag does the job and dries out a lot faster then cotton.

Upgrade the few Ziploc bags to loksaks.

Things I use the most are blue shop towels, fast orange, plastic grocery bags and an English dog leash, bug repellant. All ride in one rear door pocket. Easy to load up when I need something. The towels are folded flat and put in a plastic tube that had crystal light in it. Grocery bags in another. The flat sides of the tubes make them pack better in the door. Blue shop towels also pack nice in loksaks.

It will boggle your mind how many grocery bags can be compressed into one tube. I just stuff them in the tubes all year long.

I have a fair amount of small daily use items in doors which I can grab so I don't need to get in my packs. I can also put all that stuff on me when I grab a pack. Some redundancy.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    72fede58c137553dfcd48a4de6eaeb26.jpg.cf.jpg

262eedc7db10df6957b8664e415a1406.jpg.cf.jpg

beth-cooper-in-a-towel.jpg.cf.jpg

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH

Thats the best recommendation so far. Although, in a survival situation 3 might be overkill, 1 or 2 hot women in a towel will be plenty for most situations;-)

On a serious note, what is the holster on the Glock? Never mind, I hadn't seen the Vanguard with the upgrade.

Last edited:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Thats the best recommendation so far. Although, in a survival situation 3 might be overkill, 1 or 2 hot women in a towel will be plenty for most situations;-)

On a serious note, what is the holster on the Glock? Never mind, I hadn't seen the Vanguard with the upgrade.

It is a sweet little holster.

Top Bottom