Crossfit & USPSA Who would be interested in a match like this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    It's funny, watching some vid recently from our sport back in the day, it was a little more physical.

But, I'd have a heart attack, so no, ......I'd be out.

If you could distill it down to something like the skiing and shooting in the Olympics, get it down to 3 or four exercises and put one on each stage, maybe, but probably still a no from me.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    This is just me thinking out loud here but
    To take inexperienced people when it comes to guns, add in something very physical before hand and then have them "compete" with a firearm in something that is already challenging especially to someone that hasn't competed with a gun before might be bordering on unsafe.
    How many new shooters to a match have we seen get completely frustrated and start to become unsafe in gun handling trying to shoot a stage, a piece of steel etc, now add something physically demanding, muscle fatigue, disorientation to it and the results could be disastrous.

Thats kind of what I was thinking when I seen new people that hasn't competed before was interested. Granted we all want the sport to flourish but adding additional challenges may not be the best thing to start with considering the first few matches can be frustrating enough by itself...

maybe make it a requirement to have a classification? Just throwing ideas out there

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    I'd do it. I'd get my butt kicked because I've replace barbell curls with the 12oz variety, but I'd be down.

There should also be feats of strength. (Festivus joke, but seriously) deadlifts for bonus points!

Apparently the majority of folks would rather partake in the airing of grievances than the feats of strength. Happy Festivus to the rest of us.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This is just me thinking out loud here but
    To take inexperienced people when it comes to guns, add in something very physical before hand and then have them "compete" with a firearm in something that is already challenging especially to someone that hasn't competed with a gun before might be bordering on unsafe.
    How many new shooters to a match have we seen get completely frustrated and start to become unsafe in gun handling trying to shoot a stage, a piece of steel etc, now add something physically demanding, muscle fatigue, disorientation to it and the results could be disastrous.

I think Jake makes some good points here. Safety has to be paramount. IMO, any physical activities that are too unsafe or impractical to be done with a holstered gun, are probably going to be so extreme they'll scare many participants off, anyway. Your idea has possibilities...instead of "Tough Mudder," you could call it "Tough Gunner." You might want to determine from potential participants how "practical" or real-world they'd want it to be (who knows, maybe that would be no consideration at all for some, and they'd just want a "pure game" type of activity). For me, and this is only my opinion, anything that involves staged "guns in barrels" is not real-world, even though the 3-gun crowd may do it that way all day long. Others may feel differently.

It's good you're thinking out of the box. I'm sure there is interest, it's just a matter of getting it formulated right.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Not interested in running a mile ever again. I gave up running and lifting in 1992.

I would like a match that was a little more physically demanding, but with an emphasis on shooting. Climb a gate or fence, Rhodesian Wall, Move heavy dummies, Cooper tunnels that are not fat-old guy friendly (why would I be for that)

I am with you 100%. Somebody here in Oklahoma started doing a run and gun 3 gun match. Basically 6 stages with a mile of running cross country In between. I like the running and gunning and physical challenges but once the gunning becomes secondary to the exercise I'd rather just separate the two activities so I can enjoy both more.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Thanks for the comments & suggestions. Safety is ALWAYS, ALWAYS first! I don't plan on going too overboard on the first match. I wanted to test the waters on here first & not the range to get some input. I plan on having certified RO's at each stage. Probably not have any movement with the guns. Guns will be staged on tables unloaded. I think this type of match will not appeal to a huge crowd, but I would like it to. I guess the hardest part is to find a good balance of physical activity & shooting. My idea is to get your heart rate up before you shoot, not make you completely gassed out & disoriented. If there is interest in this type of match we could always increase the difficulty later. I have several months to get the details ironed out & ideas for stages. I will update with a date & stage descriptions if I get this match off the ground. Then you can determine if you feel comfortable with the physical portion of the match.

Last edited:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'be in!! Altho anything after Fran would simply suck!! haha

Finding the right combo of excercise movements and shooting skills would be tough. mini-uspsa stage or steel knockdowns like the video had would be easy enough to set up to use with minimal gear needed. Plate racks or Texas stars too. Definitely body weight movements (burpess, air squats, pushups, etc) would be good choices for fitness side. Could incorporate some kettle bells or barbell work (front squats, thrusters, deadlifts) anything not too technical like oly lifts or anything tho.

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the comments & suggestions. Safety is ALWAYS, ALWAYS first! I don't plan on going too overboard on the first match. I wanted to test the waters on here first & not the range to get some input. I plan on having certified RO's at each stage. Probably not have any movement with the guns. Guns will be staged on tables unloaded. I think this type of match will appeal to a huge crowd, but I would like it to. I guess the hardest part is to find a good balance of physical activity & shooting. My idea is to get your heart rate up before you shoot, not make you completely gassed out & disoriented. If there is interest in this type of match we could always increase the difficulty later. I have several months to get the details ironed out & ideas for stages. I will update with a date & stage descriptions if I get this match off the ground. Then you can determine if you feel comfortable with the physical portion of the match.

You have to remember, what get's your heart rate up a little might stop mine.:):

CLOWREYJR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm in Repete, can we get any cheerleaders from the gym out there also, it just might bring some more shooters out. Just saying. I'd say 60/40 more shooting with the XFIT added in.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think it would be a great idea for me to try to shoot and do crossfit at the same time seein' as how I probably can't do crossfit when I'm not tryin' t' shoot.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I don't think it would be a great idea for me to try to shoot and do crossfit at the same time seein' as how I probably can't do crossfit when I'm not tryin' t' shoot.

I'm with rhino on this one. If I didn't shoot myself on the first stage, DQ would be in my future. I thought shooting was supposed to be fun :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm with rhino on this one. If I didn't shoot myself on the first stage, DQ would be in my future. I thought shooting was supposed to be fun :dunno:

DQ if we're lucky. Unless we're talking about the BIG DQ FROM LIFE!

Come on Joey, we'll be all buff by the third match!

I think I'd look a little silly sporting a chiseled six-pack set of abs half way through the summer.

Ok after everyone *****ed out, I'm in. I don't want to be one of those guys!

YOU DON'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE ONE OF US!!!

Top Bottom