• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I make a point not to stop or spend money in Illinois. That includes tolls when practical.

I often travel between Indianapolis and Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, holding my nose while passing through IL.

The drivers up there are awful. It is funny to see the look of surprise on a drivers face when I show some courtesy and slow down to allow a truck or even a car to move over into my lane ahead of me. One of these days I expect I will be picking the face of one of those high speed motorcycle riders out of my boat motor prop.

I drive right through Chicago with my .45 and .38 handy. Crazy people.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You spend money in the Peoples' Republic of Ill-annoy-astan?

I try not to go there at all, but when I do, I gas up before I cross the border from America and if I have to stop, it's only to empty my bladder or bowels.

I think it's not only appropriate, it's what they asked for, esp. the latter: Translate the word "cago" from Spanish.

Blessings,
    Bill

I used to plan my Illinois travel just like you, but the enjoyment of having her get the drinks and pump gas is enough to change me!

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I would just drive completely around the state of Illinois. Going 300 miles out of your way is better than stepping a single toe in that state.

But, you may carry in your car if you have a LTCH here in Indiana. I would not get out of the car with it at all. Even if there is laws on the book saying you may transport it to your trunk I would just not trust the police and prosecutors in that state to believe you really were just going to your trunk. Also, make sure to wear your seat belt because if you get in a crash and you survive being ejected from the car with that gun on your hip you can probably expect to be executed there.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I would just drive completely around the state of Illinois. Going 300 miles out of your way is better than stepping a single toe in that state.

But, you may carry in your car if you have a LTCH here in Indiana. I would not get out of the car with it at all. Even if there is laws on the book saying you may transport it to your trunk I would just not trust the police and prosecutors in that state to believe you really were just going to your trunk. Also, make sure to wear your seat belt because if you get in a crash and you survive being ejected from the car with that gun on your hip you can probably expect to be executed there.

Never thought about getting thrown from the vehicle. They would definitely charge you with that if you got thrown out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So do these rules count for Chicago as well? I've been avoiding Chicago for the past few years but if allowed to at least keep it locked in the car, I might change my mind. I've been wanting to bring the kid to Brookfield Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry but didn't want to travel without a firearm in the car. And If allowed to have it loaded inside the car that would give me confidence to be able to legally repel any attempted car-jacking.

If you intend to leave it in the car, what's the point of taking it at all?

Do you think you're more at risk inside of your vehicle than otherwise?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You spend money in the Peoples' Republic of Ill-annoy-astan?

I try not to go there at all, but when I do, I gas up before I cross the border from America and if I have to stop, it's only to empty my bladder or bowels.

I think it's not only appropriate, it's what they asked for, esp. the latter: Translate the word "cago" from Spanish.

Blessings,
    Bill

There are places in Illinois worth of spending my money.

This is one.

:drool:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    There are places in Illinois worth of spending my money.

This is one.

:drool:

California weather is beautiful, too, but I'm not spending one thin dime there. Lots of sights to see in NYC and Washington, DC as well.... I recall a trip there when I was about 11, but until their laws recognize our Constitution and our natural rights, I don't care what the sights are or how good the food is, it's not worth my life.

:twocents: and YMMV

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you intend to leave it in the car, what's the point of taking it at all?

Do you think you're more at risk inside of your vehicle than otherwise?
    Can't speak for others, but I like having while driving and when I am back on this side of the border. I don't want to have to go unarmed until I manage to get back to the house to get my gun.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just wear an Aaron Rodgers jersey when you go. Then you'll be able to do anything you want in Illinois, especially Chicago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    California weather is beautiful, too, but I'm not spending one thin dime there. Lots of sights to see in NYC and Washington, DC as well.... I recall a trip there when I was about 11, but until their laws recognize our Constitution and our natural rights, I don't care what the sights are or how good the food is, it's not worth my life.

:twocents: and YMMV

Blessings,
    Bill

So, is every other country on your no travel list? If so, you're only hurting yourself.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Can't speak for others, but I like having while driving and when I am back on this side of the border. I don't want to have to go unarmed until I manage to get back to the house to get my gun.

Yes, it's worrisome to have to leave it in the car but at least you have it when you pull up and stop at a gas station, stoplight, etc.

For that matter, even those with Illinois permits have so many restrictions that they must have to leave the gun in the car a lot.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, it's worrisome to have to leave it in the car but at least you have it when you pull up and stop at a gas station, stoplight, etc.

For that matter, even those with Illinois permits have so many restrictions that they must have to leave the gun in the car a lot.
    In the city it is very hard to actually carry a gun. There are a large number of buildings with no-gun signs, can't use public transportation, can't go to public gatherings, blah blah blah...

The rural part of the state gave Chicago a bunch of stuff to let them get some of what they wanted. At least the state is shall issue, not may issue.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I make a point not to stop or spend money in Illinois. That includes tolls when practical.

I often travel between Indianapolis and Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, holding my nose while passing through IL.

The drivers up there are awful. It is funny to see the look of surprise on a drivers face when I show some courtesy and slow down to allow a truck or even a car to move over into my lane ahead of me. One of these days I expect I will be picking the face of one of those high speed motorcycle riders out of my boat motor prop.

I drive right through Chicago with my .45 and .38 handy. Crazy people.
    You can drive to Muskegon and take the ferry to Wi.

Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    So, I understand that I can carry in the car and to my trunk to secure and unload the gun. But what about taking it into the hotel at night when I need to stay on business? I would feel much more comfortable with it in the room than sitting in a car that could be broken into.

I thought you were allowed to store it unloaded if it was legal for you to possess it in your home state. Not carry it, but store it. Any thoughts?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    You need a case for the handgun and everything will legal. With your permit you may carry concealed inside your vehicle, when going into your hotel you just unload and place in the case. Reverse procedure when you leave. Jim.

Top Bottom