• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You need a case for the handgun and everything will legal. With your permit you may carry concealed inside your vehicle, when going into your hotel you just unload and place in the case. Reverse procedure when you leave. Jim.

Retarded!

Jim, when will your people let us get out of state IL permits? I'm willing to complete the training and pay the exorbitant fees.

Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013

Quality answer. I thought it was ok to have a firearm in possession if legal in your home state, just not carried in public. So car, unload, go to hotel, reload, keep in room unload, take to car, reload. :) Seems VERY reasonable. Lol

Of course even more ridiculous would be leaving it in a car in a parking lot so someone can break in and steal it. That would be very unfortunate. It is much safer in a hotel room with me.

Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Wow. Here is a surprising tidbit:

"Chicago and Laser Sights! [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]8-20-060 [/COLOR]Possession of a Laser Sight Accessory, Firearm Silencer or Muffler.
    (a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, display for sale, sell or otherwise transfer any laser sightaccessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler.

1. (b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any members of the armed forces of the United States,or the organized militia of this or any other state, or peace officers, to the extent that any such person isotherwise authorized to acquire or possess a laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, and isacting within the scope of his duties.
    2. (c) Any laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, carried, possessed, displayed or sold inviolation of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to thecity.
    [COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 0.000000%, 0.000000%)]Note: [/COLOR]The city of Chicago ordinance above and the Police Dept [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]Notice to Officers [/COLOR]stating to confiscatefirearms with an attached laser sight is in effect in Chicago. Chicago is in the process of rewriting theirfirearm laws (9/11/13) to comply with the new state preemption and I am hearing that this is being removedin the new ordinance but looking at the bill I do not see this being removed. Use Caution!
    The Below listed cities in Illinois also ban Laser Sights. (There could be others)Cicero, IL Sec. 62-195
    Thornton, IL Sec. 10-1-13 "

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Retarded!

Jim, when will your people let us get out of state IL permits? I'm willing to complete the training and pay the exorbitant fees.

That is only one of the many things I would like to see fixed, too many to list here. Jim.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I found the act 430Â*ILCSÂ*66/Â*Â*Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Vehicle paragraph "(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)"

There is another paragraph specifically defining that, during a traffic stop, a police officer may take your gun and keep it until they determine it is safe to return it.

Also for a "licensee" (resident or nonresident Illinois permit) in a prohibited area:
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Thank you for posting the actual statute. Now what does anyone responding to and reading this think the percentages of LEO's that populate Illinois are fully cognizant of how this statue reads? and therefore how to properly enforce and apply it? I am not in anyway attempting to be disrespectful of Illinois law enforcement community, but it only stand to reason with literally 20,000+ federal and state gun control laws on the books it's unrealistic for any LEO to be fully aware of all the laws.

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I have to travel to Chicago and stay overnight several times a year on business. I've been following the law as near as I can tell, by unloading and storing my firearm when exiting the vehicle to enter the hotel. I carry the unloaded firearm in my laptop bag to my room, and reload it there. This last trip, I noticed that the hotel has a No Firearms sign on the door.
    If I carry one in, unloaded, am I breaking the law, or not respecting their request?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    According to the law, as a nonresident, you can carry while in the car and once you leave the car, the gun has to stay in the car (loaded or unloaded. The car counts as the container). You can have your guns out and even loaded while inside a motel/hotel room because it becomes your domain during your stay. If a resident you are visiting gives you permission, you can have your guns inside, loaded or unloaded

turbodiesel86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    I'm glad I found this post cause I've always wondered. I travel a lot into Illinois with my pistol but always left it in my truck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    everywhere-i-went-i-was-running.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    NO CARRY.

1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    4. Non-Residents must be eligible to possess
    or acquire firearms and ammunition in their
    state of residence.

Even then you may find yourself in violation of some IL communities ordinances.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    NO CARRY.

1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    4. Non-Residents must be eligible to possess
    or acquire firearms and ammunition in their
    state of residence.

Even then you may find yourself in violation of some IL communities ordinances.

Did you read any other Posts in this thread? Have you been living under a rock for The Last 5 Years?

JDG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    LaPorte County
    Let us not forget that we are talking about Illinois here. For several of us in the NW area, that means Chicago. I wouldn't push my luck with the CPD.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So what are the rules if someone takes their guns (unloaded or not) from their car into a hotel room or a residence?

Top Bottom