• Total voters

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    As a construction supt, you have to be able to talk to subcontractors just a little differently than you would in a social setting or they will walk all over you.
    The use of the words co..s...er and mfer are standard issue at a construction site.
    Obviously I respect ladies, children, and my elders who would get a whole different vocabulary.
    I don't feel I have a limited vocabulary, but as Denny stated...sometimes people tend to stop and take notice when those kinds of words are directed at them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ah, but it is NOT free speech. It is speech within the parameters declared acceptable by the FCC, which appears to have some strange ideas of what is acceptable particularly when compared with what is not acceptable. Of course this is a predictable result of allowing the feds to tamper with things it should leave alone, particularly in the absence of any constitutional authority to act (the aberrant Wickard v. Filburn ruling notwithstanding).

I'm talking about the creators of shows. There are PLENTY of shows on television with cursing, sex, murder, etc. I just don't see how this is an apples-to-apples comparison, but that's just me.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm talking about the creators of shows. There are PLENTY of shows on television with cursing, sex, murder, etc. I just don't see how this is an apples-to-apples comparison, but that's just me.

To me it is apples to apples. Someone is deciding what is appropriate to be aired on television. Apparently blood and gore and grisly murders are OK and a four-letter word meaning 'poop' is not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a construction supt, you have to be able to talk to subcontractors just a little differently than you would in a social setting or they will walk all over you.
    The use of the words co..s...er and mfer are standard issue at a construction site.
    Obviously I respect ladies, children, and my elders who would get a whole different vocabulary.
    I don't feel I have a limited vocabulary, but as Denny stated...sometimes people tend to stop and take notice when those kinds of words are directed at them.

Been around this my whole life. Yup, it is a different world entirely.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    To me it is apples to apples. Someone is deciding what is appropriate to be aired on television. Apparently blood and gore and grisly murders are OK and a four-letter word meaning 'poop' is not.

Someone is always in a position to decide what is appropriate. Even on this site we use a curse filter. I can turn my television off and I can choose to log out of INGO. However, while in public, I cannot avoid every sailor or plumber who wants to express their feelings in the presence of my family. Then I'm left to be the one having to ask them to tone down their language in the presence of my family. After this altercation, I'm left being the anus hole and prude who is too sensitive for today's world.

If people want to curse, that's fine, but feeling slighted because certain words are not acceptable on television is not sensible, IMHO. It's now totally acceptable to say many things that were not at one point. I'm sure we will get to the point where it is acceptable to say the four-letter word for "poop" on television.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure we will get to the point where it is acceptable to say the four-letter word for "poop" on television.

This is growing, actually. AMC, Comedy Central, FX, TBS... these stations don't censor "s**t" anymore. Shows like Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, South Park, Conan... all say it pretty regular now.

Glad to see "harsher" words spreading outside the boundries of movie channels

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Someone is always in a position to decide what is appropriate. Even on this site we use a curse filter. I can turn my television off and I can choose to log out of INGO. However, while in public, I cannot avoid every sailor or plumber who wants to express their feelings in the presence of my family. Then I'm left to be the one having to ask them to tone down their language in the presence of my family. After this altercation, I'm left being the anus hole and prude who is too sensitive for today's world.

If people want to curse, that's fine, but feeling slighted because certain words are not acceptable on television is not sensible, IMHO. It's now totally acceptable to say many things that were not at one point. I'm sure we will get to the point where it is acceptable to say the four-letter word for "poop" on television.

I'm not feeling slighted at all. I just think that the topics and images that are deemed acceptable on network TV are much more offensive than the language that is deemed unacceptable. JMHO.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I voted (rarely) curse as it seems to help with difficult repairs around the house.
    If someone I don't know enters in to a conversation with me and is using f-bombs as punctuation, my assessment of them is lower than if they had some self control of their vocabulary skills.
    If someone is cursing at me I perceive that as insulting, rude and possibly hostile. My reaction is based on my morals then the situation.
    If sitting around with friends in a private setting, I'll sometimes indulge in a game of creative curse phrases. The more adult beverage consumed, the funner it gets.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not so much of a prude that I can't enjoy explicit behavior, violence, language, etc. on any tv show, movie, standup comedian act, etc. That stuff doesn't necessarily improve the end product. For example, Bill Cosby is still one of the funniest comedians around and you'll never hear the vulgarity that others in his field put in their acts. It's not the language that makes it, it's the talent. Same for me with tv shows and movies. I grew up watching old WW2 movies on tv. I knew that war was hell; am I better off knowing what a director and special effects artist thinks it must be like when a guy got shot or his arm blown off? A good story, interesting characters, good delivery, etc goes a lot further with me than realistic gore and explicit language. But that's just me, YMMV.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Depends on the situation. In the professional world people would be surprised to hear the things I say around my friend. My friends would tell you I use profanity like punctuation.

Tried stopping before, but for some reason I always fall back into it. Can a person be addicted to swearing?

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I've worked in a Steel Mill for 30 years! You have to drop the F bomb at least every 10 minutes or they write ya up for poor work habits! I try very hard to not cuss at home. I fail miserably. It's actually one of the things I'm really going to work on now that I'm retired. My kids who are 24 and 21 never cuss, I'm proud of that.
    the first 10 yrs of my adult life were in factories, and yes EVERYONE cussed constantly, it rubbed off lol

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm very surprised at the results of this poll. Half the members that have voted curse all the time. Wow! And we wonder what's wrong with the world now days.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm very surprised at the results of this poll. Half the members that have voted curse all the time. Wow! And we wonder what's wrong with the world now days.

When I survey the list of all that's wrong with the world today, I see little effect from someone choosing to say **** rather than poop.

Top Bottom