• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smoov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Illinois
    My father is a farmer. He owns about 187 acres of wooded land. There is a spot back on our land that I always shoot. After attending my first IDPA last weekend and my first Steel Challenge and USPSA this weekend, I decided to build some targets for practice. I just would like some suggestions from you guys if you're willing.

I'm not trying to dump a lot of money into this project. Maybe next year after my father buys a backhoe to rip up some trees around the farm:twisted:. I'll use it for what I would like to. So, I went around this afternoon looking in all the barns to see what I could come up with. Here is what I found for material.

-2x4
    -2x6
    -2x12
    -4x4
    -square wooden post
    -fence post 6' steel and 4' plastic
    -plywood
    -One PVC pipe that is 6" in diameter and about 5' in length.
    -Didn't see any disc laying around anywhere. There has to be some since being a farm. You know the kind that are on the plows to turn/work ground. Figured I could use it for Steel target??? If not I found a decent priced site online.
    Custom Steel Shooting Targets, Law Enforcement, Tactical Shooters, Cowboy Action

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do with some of this material besides the basic stuff you see on ranges. Is there a site that has dimensions for target stands for cardboard? Or just make your own dimensions? Thinking of putting one or two on each side of the target below.

Here is my first idea for some of the scrap wood I have found.
    heTow.jpg

On the top I will lay two boards the width of a clay pigeon apart and put the clay on top. Then take wire and have the steel hanging from the bottom.

What do you guys think?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    A coupe thoughts that hit me right away were, don't waste your money ordering your steel targets. Order them from our site supporter BobCat Steel. Here's a link to their page. Bobcat Steel - INGunOwners

Also don't use old plow or disk blades. The curvature of the harden steel blades can cause a serious richocet in the wrong direction.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I know if seems like a cost saver to build from wood, but you will regret it.
    The splatter from the steel will embed itself in the wood quickly making it hard to move and will destroy it quicker than you think.

But yeah, like Rayne said, we can get you covered! We are cutting some more steel this week, so it you have any custom requests and get them to us today, we can get them turned around quick for you. We are fully stocked on our other items as well.

The stands we offer accommodate both a 2x4 for steel and furring strips spaced at 18" to be used with cardboard/paper.

We are having a demo shoot out at Riley Conservation Club on the 11th if you wanted to come and see any of this in person. Product will be available for purchase at the event as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    First, you will find some good information in this thread about home ranges: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...have_your_own_shooting_range.html#post1983573

Also, lovemywoods has designed and built several custom target stands and range enhancements that are top-notch.

PVC target stands: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...et_stands.html

Target stand for steel: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...nce_steel.html

Shooting bench: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/access..._pictures.html

Hopefully soon he will have another report posted about a new hanging steel target stand he built with a swing frame, some horse stall mats, and lots of Bobcat Steel targets. :yesway:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Sneek Peek!

I completed this stand recently using a swing frame from my son. It sits about 135 yards from my deck. (Yea, it's a country thing....shooting off your deck!) :rockwoot:

Anyway, I haven't taken the time to write up a post about it. But here is a picture of the final stand.

mwr1ad.jpg

All steels are AR500 plates from Bobcat Steel. :yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    man your 2x4s look bowed in the pic:D

ok seriously i built somthing like your describing out of wood. it was basically a portible saw horse that i could move around. after 50 rds the wood was so tore up it could not be moved.

i found a sale at menards on those cheap metal saw horses. they work great, they are starting to get beat up and full o holes (i im getting a exact zero on 22s somtimes i use the rivets in the horse) but for what i paid ill throw them away when they sease to hold a target

Top Bottom