• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Can you name any? I'm aware of one factory gun, and one aftermarket safety kit.

Do grip safeties count? We have a brand spanking new Centennial in the store for sale with one :)

If you are going to get snooty about grip safeties not counting, how bout a semi-automatic revolver, with a manual safety?

I give you the Webley-Fosberry Self Cocking Automatic Revolver:
    The Gun Zone – Webley-Fosbery Automatic-Revolver

FTR, that article reference not just one, but FOUR DA revolvers with manual safeties.

While they aren't DA revolvers, Heritage's .22 revolvers also have a manual safety. A manual safety on a single action revolver strikes me as about as useless as hooters on my back, but it does have one!

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm a big guy so the Beretta works better for me. I also bought a wrap around Crimson Trace grip from a M9 on ebay that works great and is now tuned to be spot on. like others have said, it's what works for you.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    My experience with the Beretta 92 is on the Taurus variant. I loved that gun. My only issue with it, was that the magazine ejection button was too much of a stretch for me. They sure do break down easy though!

CZs fit my hand better. I have 3, and each one, I doubt will ever leave my possession. They are the first handguns that I've bought, that I have whole heartedly decided to keep. They are fantastic firearms. As mentioned previously, there are different options for the safeties on CZs. You may also take a look at other models in the CZ line up. For a full size - you may want to look at the SP-01, it has an 18 round magazine capacity as well. 2 of my CZs have the manual safety, and the other has the decocker. Out of preference, I like the decocker better, as I almost never engage the manual safety. However, the decocker sticks out further then the slimmed down safety on the RAMI, if that matters to you.

The other thing to think about, is that factory CZ magazines cost more to purchase then factory Beretta magazines. You'll be more likely to find a fitted holster for a Beretta at a gun shop, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to find a CZ holster locally. Holsters for Sigmas & Taurus 24/7s work well (thanks for the help on the last one Shooter521!). Even an occasional Glock holster will fit.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Simple Fix Don't put it on safety.......

In my opinion it's not wise to carry a gun with the hammer cocked, without the safety engaged. The only way I would is if it had a secondary safety. Such a grip safety, or trigger safety. That's why I will not carry a gun, that is manual safety only. My Beretta is a range only gun. My Xd of course has a grip, and trigger safety. Lastly my FNP is decocker only. I do not mind the first shot being DA. As long as the trigger does not have a long pull.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hey OP,

I don't have a 92 for you to test, but I do have a CZ-75b you're welcome to try out should the opportunity arise.

If you're not a lefty, and need an 85 for ambi controls, that is.

-J-

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    I'm a Beretta fan, but the 92 is not one of my favorites for a number of reasons.

Go with the CZ, unless your willing to consider the PX4 Storm, or a used 8000.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    In my opinion it's not wise to carry a gun with the hammer cocked, without the safety engaged. The only way I would is if it had a secondary safety. Such a grip safety, or trigger safety. That's why I will not carry a gun, that is manual safety only. My Beretta is a range only gun. My Xd of course has a grip, and trigger safety. Lastly my FNP is decocker only. I do not mind the first shot being DA. As long as the trigger does not have a long pull.

Always carry mine hammer down. To each his own man, not tryin to start a arguement or a flame war. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying the cz hammer back even on safe, i dont like how the safety is.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Always carry mine hammer down. To each his own man, not trying to start a argument or a flame war. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying the cz hammer back even on safe, i don't like how the safety is.

I'm not trying to start a flame war either. I too always carry a hammered fired pistol with the hammer down. That's why I choose pistols that have a decocker, if I go that rout. That way I do not have to worry about a manual safety. That's why I got rid of the CZ. If it was a model with a decocker, I would still own it. We carried the 92FS in the Coast Guard. So I'm used to carrying a pistol wih the hammer down, first shot being DA.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The P-07 'Duty' comes with extra parts to change it from decocker to manual safety as the owner chooses.
    It's poly framed and more slim than the traditional 75 and mags aren't interchangeable.
    Plus it's kind of ugly looking until you shoot it some.

But it has the omega trigger and is pretty cheap. Mine was a little over $400 + tax new.

Hope that don't complicate OP's choices in his quest for a good pistol.

As much as I like cz's I still want a Beretta but can't justify it at the moment.

scrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    West Central
    CZ

FWIW, I just traded a couple guns to get a CZ-75B and I have 0 regrets. The gun is a solid piece and the trigger is phenomenal. I would suggest you at least shoot one before you purchase anything else.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Scrubber, omega or normal trigger?

I say shoot what your looking at and then decide has above said.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I have a CZ P-01. Feels great in the hand - nice weight and balance. Very accurate out of the box; even for an average shooter like me. It is DA/SA with decocker. Trigger was rather gritty at first, but getting better. I've put about 400 rounds of various major 9mm brands (Winchester, Rem UMC, American Eagle, Fiocchi, Sellier&Bellot) and have not had a single failure yet.

If you do get a new CZ, give it a good cleaning (inside and out) before your first trip to the range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have 2 CZ Pre B 75s, have owned a couple 75Bs and 3 or 4 Beretta 92s. I prefer the CZ by far. The CZ just feels right in my hand, it feels more solid too. The 92 feels clunky and muzzle heavy to me. I like the fact that that CZ can be carried in DA or Cocked N Locked modes too. The 75 is one of the most accurate 9mms I've ever shot as well. Never did to well with the 92s for some reason, plus fewer sight options for the 92. But go look, handle and balance the pros n cons of the two for yourself and get what you feel the most comfortable with. :twocents: :yesway:

Top Bottom