• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have looked at the Gen 3 Smiths in the past, but always end up with a Ruger of some sort.
    Since I have a Ruger Ltwt. Officer 1911 9mm, I will avoid the endless list of the Gen 3s of S/W.
    Same 8 round capacity, or even less with the Gen. 3s.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have looked at the Gen 3 Smiths in the past, but always end up with a Ruger of some sort.
    Since I have a Ruger Ltwt. Officer 1911 9mm, I will avoid the endless list of the Gen 3s of S/W.
    Same 8 round capacity, or even less with the Gen. 3s.

Not to talk you into a specific direction but a 5906 has a 15 round capacity.

Buy what pulls your trigger today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not to talk you into a specific direction but a 5906 has a 15 round capacity.
    Buy what pulls your trigger today.

1. Thanks mcapo! Appreciate you taking the time!
    2. Yes, a 5906 w/15 round capacity would put it in the same realm as the Ruger P series with the same.
    3. Is there a reason I should gravitate toward the Smith instead of the Ruger?

A break here since some don't read past #3 anyway. :rofl:

4. You know me, I have no qualms of selling one to buy another, especially since I have no emotional attachment to the P95 (wished I'd kept the P89: all-metal).
    5. Are the Smiths known to be more reliable, lighter, smaller, better looking?
    6. I have seen them from time to time but they have not been $300 but more $400+ if memory serves.
    7. I might be selling the Ruger P89 anyway since it is just a house gun, and I have others that can serve that function

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    1. Thanks mcapo! Appreciate you taking the time!
    2. Yes, a 5906 w/15 round capacity would put it in the same realm as the Ruger P series with the same.
    3. Is there a reason I should gravitate toward the Smith instead of the Ruger?

A break here since some don't read past #3 anyway. :rofl:

4. You know me, I have no qualms of selling one to buy another, especially since I have no emotional attachment to the P95 (wished I'd kept the P89: all-metal).
    5. Are the Smiths known to be more reliable, lighter, smaller, better looking?
    6. I have seen them from time to time but they have not been $300 but more $400+ if memory serves.
    7. I might be selling the Ruger P89 anyway since it is just a house gun, and I have others that can serve that function

1. no problem

2. Not really. Back in the day of these firearms, lots and lots of police carried SW semi-autos. I don't know of any that carried the Ruger. Some probably did. What does that mean? Whatever you want it to.

3. See 2 though I question the use of the word "reason" and refer you to your statement 4.

5. Reliable? Yes; Lighter; Yes, No or the same depending upon model; Smaller? Yes, No or the same depending upon model; Better looking? Yes, No or the same depending upon model.

6. $300 to $1000ish. Lots of LEO 5906s running around. 908's; 915s; 5906's etc. See 3rd Gen thread for more info and even a recent 908 purchase and 30' test target.

7. I hope so. I've cancelled cable TV and now watch the doddg show for entertainment. :p

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. no problem
    2. Not really. Back in the day of these firearms, lots and lots of police carried SW semi-autos. I don't know of any that carried the Ruger. Some probably did. What does that mean? Whatever you want it to.
    3. See 2 though I question the use of the word "reason" and refer you to your statement 4.

5. Reliable? Yes; Lighter; Yes, No or the same depending upon model; Smaller? Yes, No or the same depending upon model; Better looking? Yes, No or the same depending upon model.

6. $300 to $1000ish. Lots of LEO 5906s running around. 908's; 915s; 5906's etc. See 3rd Gen thread for more info and even a recent 908 purchase and 30' test target.

7. I hope so. I've cancelled cable TV and now watch the doddg show for entertainment. :p

1. Soooo funny! :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    mcapo, I did a search and across the U.S. on Armslist the 5906 goes from $300 - $1100, with mostly $500 - $700.
    There is one for sale locally (North of 465) for $500.
    Interesting, but no need right now and I have too many to sell first.

This pm I'm to deliver the HK that I had to a guy who wants it bad: a true HK lover!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Sounds about right.

I have an LNIB 5906 but the price would be salty.

Some LEO guns on GB that would cost about $400 in hand but some risk involved.

You’ve owned so many guns in this genre, I doubt you’re going to find an epiphany gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds about right.
    I have an LNIB 5906 but the price would be salty.
    Some LEO guns on GB that would cost about $400 in hand but some risk involved.
    You’ve owned so many guns in this genre, I doubt you’re going to find an epiphany gun.

1. So much truth there!
    2. The Shadow 2 delivered, and others have, which won't be mentioned here so as not to irritate others with my proletariat tastes. :rofl:
    3. I thought the Smith 41 would be my epiphany for .22LR, but it had to be sent out for parts replacement immediately, and I was so irritated with it not working that I'm sure it has tainted my attitude, but someone rode it hard and put it away wet, so I'm the one who gets to put it back up to speed.
    At least I bought it at a price to have room to invest in it, but time will tell if I should have just spent more to begin with.
    4. After it gets new parts it will have its chance to sing and dance.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I find myself looking at Rami vids this pm (while watching Hallmark movies with the wife) reminding myself why I bought it in the 1st place.
    I'm having doubts about selling it, especially since I'm going to lose money on it. :dunno:
    Since I sold the HK this evening and have the P-09 up for sale, I'm reluctant to part with the Rami as well.
    It is not a logical reluctance, I admit: I just like it and like the history of the people I like had it before me.
    But, I wonder if I spent time with the PCR, I would feel like others here who say they have owned/do own both, and they like the PCR more.
    I'm open to the experience of the PCR.
    As mentioned, a member here said he'd let me shoot his PCR which will be quite helpful toward that end.
    Ironically, if after shooting the PCR, unlike others, I like the Rami better, if I've already sold it, I'll really be hacked at myself. :wallbash:
    Oh well, like all tangibles for sale, there is always another to buy, but I would hate to lose the history of this one since I like the people who "touched it," but maybe I'd pick up a safety anyway (and they don't cost as much :laugh:), but since it's got a long 1st pull: no issue anyway.

Don't know how long it will be till I get to shoot my friend's PCR, he's very busy and I don't see very often, but I'll look forward to range time with the PCR.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Rami BD and a P01 BD and like them both. The P01 has replaced my P7 as my daily carry simply because the P7 prices have rocketed up over the last few years and I don’t want to risk it. While I like the Rami the P01 seems to fit me perfectly. I like the grip much better since I replaced the rubber panels with a set of G10 grips. The factory sights have been replaced with Tru Glo night sights that my old eyes can see much better than the plain white dots. I use 16 round CZ75 magazines with modified base plates to eliminate the gap at the bottom of the frame. The gun is carried in a High Noon kydex IWB holster and I barely know it’s there. While the Rami is a very accurate pistol the P01 is just crazy accurate! I like all my CZs, and I own more than a few, but the P01 is my favorite.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a Rami BD and a P01 BD and like them both. The P01 has replaced my P7 as my daily carry simply because the P7 prices have rocketed up over the last few years and I don’t want to risk it. While I like the Rami the P01 seems to fit me perfectly. I like the grip much better since I replaced the rubber panels with a set of G10 grips. The factory sights have been replaced with Tru Glo night sights that my old eyes can see much better than the plain white dots. I use 16 round CZ75 magazines with modified base plates to eliminate the gap at the bottom of the frame. The gun is carried in a High Noon kydex IWB holster and I barely know it’s there. While the Rami is a very accurate pistol the P01 is just crazy accurate! I like all my CZs, and I own more than a few, but the P01 is my favorite.

[h=5]1. CZ PCR vs. P-01[/h]2. Have you ever had the PCR?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I find myself looking at Rami vids this pm (while watching Hallmark movies with the wife) reminding myself why I bought it in the 1st place.
    I'm having doubts about selling it, especially since I'm going to lose money on it. :dunno:
    Since I sold the HK this evening and have the P-09 up for sale, I'm reluctant to part with the Rami as well.
    It is not a logical reluctance, I admit: I just like it and like the history of the people I like had it before me.
    But, I wonder if I spent time with the PCR, I would feel like others here who say they have owned/do own both, and they like the PCR more.
    I'm open to the experience of the PCR.
    As mentioned, a member here said he'd let me shoot his PCR which will be quite helpful toward that end.
    Ironically, if after shooting the PCR, unlike others, I like the Rami better, if I've already sold it, I'll really be hacked at myself. :wallbash:
    Oh well, like all tangibles for sale, there is always another to buy, but I would hate to lose the history of this one since I like the people who "touched it," but maybe I'd pick up a safety anyway (and they don't cost as much :laugh:), but since it's got a long 1st pull: no issue anyway.

Don't know how long it will be till I get to shoot my friend's PCR, he's very busy and I don't see very often, but I'll look forward to range time with the PCR.

Everyone is different. Just because one person likes something doesn't mean everyone does. I personally liked my Rami and love my PCR. You very well might be the opposite. If you are not in any hurry to sell the Rami, I would hang onto it until you actually find something that you like better, whether that is a PCR or something else. IMHO.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The difference is the ergonomics. The PCR sits in the hand like a CZ and the RAMI does not. The PCR is CZs best non-polymer carry gun.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The difference is the ergonomics. The PCR sits in the hand like a CZ and the RAMI does not. The PCR is CZs best non-polymer carry gun.

Bold added for emphasis.

If you aren’t going to carry it, the advantage the PCR holds over the P-01 and the 75 compact disappears. I’d go as far tonsay if it won’t be carried, the steel framed 75 Compact makes a better range toy/HD option.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    PCR (by Wizard) is all black with copper grips. P01 (by T-dogg) has the rail. The RAMI (by Wizard) is OD Green. All three have awesome triggers.

b92374b071ef9f7a7bff47a757f6d66d.jpg
    8a25b3a623251981dd40a841a36d10c5.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. :wow: This has to be the best written "compare the gun" advice I've ever seen, and over the top with pics. (did I already say WOW!)

Everyone is different. Just because one person likes something doesn't mean everyone does. I personally liked my Rami and love my PCR. You very well might be the opposite. If you are not in any hurry to sell the Rami, I would hang onto it until you actually find something that you like better, whether that is a PCR or something else. IMHO.

2. Yes, I have ran into that definitely when someone raves about a gun and then I try it and :dunno:.
    3. I know the fault lies with me and my lack of refinement when it comes to recommendations of fine weapons.
    4. Then again, nearly everything I now have is b/c it was recommended here, especially in the CZ line. :ingo:

5. Interesting insight, and I see/feel your point after starting with the SP-01 then going to the 75, then on to the Shadow 2, then the Rami.

Bold added for emphasis.
    If you aren’t going to carry it, the advantage the PCR holds over the P-01 and the 75 compact disappears. I’d go as far tonsay if it won’t be carried, the steel framed 75 Compact makes a better range toy/HD option.

6. As always, you get to the heart of things in your observations.
    7. If I am not going to carry it: don't bother with the PCR, after all, I have the Shadow 2 to satiate my CZ lust, and other range 9mms I won't part with yet.
    8. I look forward to shooting a friend's PCR to see if I want to get one for the range and sell something else, or not bother with it at all, or if it is a better carry gun than the Glock 26 I sold, or the Rami I have for sale: find one.
    9. I usually buy a gun I'm interested in b/c I stumble onto a stellar price, even bought a few I wasn't looking for just b/c of price, like the HK I had recently and a nice Walther I had months ago.
    10. Yes, I'm still having fun. :rockwoot:

PCR (by Wizard) is all black with copper grips. P01 (by T-dogg) has the rail. The RAMI (by Wizard) is OD Green. All three have awesome triggers.

b92374b071ef9f7a7bff47a757f6d66d.jpg
    8a25b3a623251981dd40a841a36d10c5.jpg

11. Thanks so much for the pics: very helpful and just great to look at. :thumbsup:
    12. Just for fun I had my wife come over and pick whatever gun she liked the best, and of course she picked the PCR with the copper handles!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It has been nearly a day and you haven't bought anything yet?

You are sure slowing down....

1. i’m sitting here in the Greenwood mall waiting for the wife who is Christmas shopping.
    2. We just were on our way home from her birthday dinner at Stone Creek Dining.
    3. This domestic stuff interferes with gun buying :dunno:.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom