Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah Geek Squad is shady.

Case #1:
    Friend of mine wanted to get into doing IT tech work. He was perfect for a bench tech slot at a big box store. He knew his stuff but lacked experience to understand the obscure stuff and would benefit from working side by side with others. They wouldnt hire him because "he had too much experience".

Case #2:
    Unemployed buddy in WI IMed me a screen shot of an error that was literally telling him to replace his hard drive because it predicted an eminent failure. I told him to buy a specific cloning software i knew they sold for $30 and a new drive for $70. He knew he could afford that. He went and couldnt find the software. He asked an employee who said "That kind of software doesnt exist" and took him to the geek squad guys. They lied too and said that they would be the only ones that could help and it would be several hundred dollars PLUS the cost of the drive. He left dejected because he didnt have that much spare cash. 4 days later his drive crashed completely and he lost files. Apparently they work on commission and will lie to you worse than a used car salesman.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I checked their website first and it showed they had almost a hundred copies of the software on hand at his store.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Ok, like I said Linux, Mint works great so I uninstalled Google, Chrome and then reinstalled it, still no worky. I switched over to Internet Explorer, it no worky either. Troubleshooting said to check HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443 and FTP port 21 I don't know where they are or what their supposed to be set at.

Now I clicked on my email and just let the little ball spin since I started this post and finally after about 10 minutes my email comes up. Wow, talk about slow, but it did finally come up. I tried another Web site and I'm still waiting.

So it seems to work I think but it takes for ever ?????????

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Ok, about 10 minutes give or take and the Web site just came up, what gives?
    Once I get to the Web site everything works on that site, and quickly.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Now here is some new information. If I click on Bookmark Manager or any other web site it takes roughly 5 minutes to connect but if I click on any link in Bookmark Manager it instantly goes to that web site. So if I keep bookmark manager open I can go anywhere I have a bookmark for instantly.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    CM, I think you're due for a house call lol

Zip drive... wow you're dating yourself there. I remember playing with those 20ish years ago before the CD burners were sub-$100

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    In all honesty, I would dump the XP for Mint. Since XP is a huge security hole now it's not safe to use. Don't do anything besides browse with it, at most. Consider any accounts you use online with that system compromised.

If you don't want to give up fully yet you can get a second cheap hard drive and just unplug the one you have. Plug in the second one and install Mint on it so you can get back to normal useage without wiping out your old info/system or having to deal with boot loaders. Gradually pull your stuff off the old one to slowly transition over.

Building a system isn't difficult if you want to try it. The hardest part is making sure the components all match up. Things like getting the proper type memory and processor for the motherboard. A typical, non-gaming desktop system is pretty cheap and easy to build.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I had linux mint, Cinnamon running the other day and it was in sleep mode but when I went to use it, it would not wake up. I tried it several times after forced shut down and it still refused to wake up.
    So thinking something messed up I decided to delete it and reinstall. Opps, now I can't get it reinstalled.
    It seemed so easy the first time that I thought it would be no big deal. I have tried most of the afternoon to reinstall 17.2 no luck, so I tried 18.3 still no luck. To be honest I don't understand most of the terms they talk about on the Linux Web site. I need help.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom