• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I redid a patio for my parents several times over the course of ten years, with those same stones. Not to mention digging out the old gravel bed and leveling paver stones. Man my childhood was horrible, and I wasn' t even in trouble!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I make my son carry in 50 lb bag of dog food at 13 years. I did not realize making your kid do manual labor was cruel. My bad... BTW, he doesn't complain. He likes to help and is a big strong boy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember one summer spending several weeks digging a new drainage finger by hand while Dad was at work. It was about 30 feet long and 4 feet deep. He would dig then when he got home. Then I had to carry the masonry drainage lines down to the trench... I wasn't even in trouble.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Without knowing the full story from the dads side I can't make a real judgement. I am on the fence on this one at this moment. If the kid had not water then that's probably going to far.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Without knowing the full story from the dads side I can't make a real judgement. I am on the fence on this one at this moment. If the kid had not water then that's probably going to far.

If he didn't allow him water then that changes everything. There is no mention of him withholding water though.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I was a kid people weren't as thirsty as they are now. People didn't have a drink with them (except the beer drinkers) every where they drove. They didn't carry bottled water with them at the mall. I, as a kid, left the house in the morning and I don't remember worrying too much about getting a drink except when you came in to eat.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    When I was a kid people weren't as thirsty as they are now. People didn't have a drink with them (except the beer drinkers) every where they drove. They didn't carry bottled water with them at the mall. I, as a kid, left the house in the morning and I don't remember worrying too much about getting a drink except when you came in to eat.

You must not run as hot as me then. I've always needed water constantly to replenish what I sweat.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If he didn't allow him water then that changes everything. There is no mention of him withholding water though.

Read Rambone's link. No water and no money to buy water. 90 degrees. And if he didn't finish the 3 mile walk with the brick in 2 hours then he had to do it again. Small kid, too.

I think he went too far. Both with the physical requirements and the public humiliation.

I don't think the government should have been involved, though.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    OMG 2 hours without water and it's hot outside, kid is lucky to be alive, he almost starved to death.

Multiple times a day. Small kid, heavy brick. Sounds like he was pretty out of shape, too.

I'm not saying this is attempted murder or something, don't get me wrong. Just seems a little excessive for failing to complete his homework assignment.

I wouldn't do it, as a dad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    135lbs isnt a small kid, he was fat, the walk alone would have probably been hard for him
    When I was a freshman, I think I was about 5'7" and weighed about 125 (wrestled 126 lb class). So if that was his height and weight, he was a bit pudgy.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    135lbs isnt a small kid, he was fat, the walk alone would have probably been hard for him

135 at 4'2 is small and overweight. So yes, the walk alone would have been hard for him. That was my point.

I give the dad credit for loving his son enough to discipline him, I just wouldn't go as far as he did.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    135 at 4'2 is small and overweight. So yes, the walk alone would have been hard for him. That was my point.

I give the dad credit for loving his son enough to discipline him, I just wouldn't go as far as he did.
    I think I agree with this. But charging him is a bit much.

Top Bottom