• ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Cool Hand Luke

What you doin' Luke puttin' your dirt in Boss Kean's ditch?

if you ain't been hauled into CPS for raisin' your child you probably ain't doin' it right.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I give the dad credit for loving his son enough to discipline him, I just wouldn't go as far as he did.

I agree with this. I also agree that nothing here seemed extreme enough to warrant the police getting involved or if someone got them involved (how are they supposed to know what's going on before they get there and check) , certainly not charges.

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    2 hours for a 3 mile walk seems like plenty of time to me. At a strolling pace it should not take more than an hour unless the kid is stopping for a nap half way.
    I also used to go out all day without any concern of having water. If I needed a drink I would find a hose pipe somewhere and get a drink.
    The kid is not being beat, the state needs to stay out of the parenting business. So many kids these days use the Dept. of Family Services as a threat against their parents. Parents feel like they can no longer discipline their kids and we end up with a bunch of punk thugs playing the "knock out game" and robbing houses.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Seems like a rather strict punishment, but not as extreme as the state sticking its nose into a family matter.

There was a similar story, maybe even slightly more bizarre than the OP's, on FOX this morning involving state interference in Hawaii, and all the father did was make his son walk home from school, a 1-mile walk: Hawaii man gets probation for making son walk 1 mile home from school | Fox News

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Let this be a lesson. The state has determined that it shall be the final arbiter of all that is right and good. Parents are merely temporary caretakers of the state's property.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If my daughter ever decided to call cps on me that would be the last tv or any "perk" that she has for minimum one year. cps is the worst department ever created. This might be game over for this country as we know it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I used to walk a mile and a half to and from school. My old man would have got life w/o parole today. So would it be abusive to let your kid walk a mile to a buddy's house to hang out? I guess my boy is gonna have to stay at home now! :dunno:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    All of us who've raised kids have had their shining moments and their not-so-shining moments. I'd hate to think of the possible consequences today if some of my less-shining parental moments were the focus of some agency.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I used to walk 6 miles a day to get out of the house if my dad made me walk it would have been a reward. From the sound of it the kid needed to get out and walk more anyway. When i was 16 i could finish 3 miles in minutes

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm abusing my child today. I am making him do yard work. Any one wanna call CPS?

I understand that there is a child abuse problem. Making your child do some manual labor or a swat on the butt is not abuse. when the government gets involved it knows practical boundaries. You might get a official that believes spare the rod spoil the child. or you might get someone that believes you can't touch your child or punish them at all. Then at the other end we have people that don't have and reason to have children.

It's a screw up world. I'd like to think I am raising my kids with good parenting skills. A little bit old fashion skills. I'd like to think they are good ones. I guess I will know what kind of job I have don't when I have grand kids!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    88gt I got used to saying that when i helped coach track. I would tell them to run so many miles and they would ask how many hours and i would reply minutes not hours. Guess it really sounds dumb when i use outside of that lol. But for what its worth I would regularly run 3 in 20-25ish.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    They wonder why kids have no discipline and end up in jail or lazy.

Prime example.

The dad cares and wants to show his boy the right way and the damn government steps in where its not concerned. Its not like it was abuse.

Top Bottom