• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I currently carry a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-53935-SwissTool-RS/dp/B00004YVB0"]Swisstool[/ame] and an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41770-Artifact-Pocket-Keychain/dp/B001349MD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1299121560&sr=1-1"]Artifact[/ame] pretty much everywhere I go. What I don't have is a single blade folder to carry in my strong side pocket for quick access if needed. My wants:

• Durable
    • Pocket Clip
    • Ability to have knife open when removed from pocket (either by modifying thumb hole or zip tie method, etc.)
    • Partial serrated blade

Things I'm not sure about - blade length and brand. My budget is $100 or less (preferably less, but am willing to pay for quality if it's warranted.) Totally unsure what the ballpark would even be.

Thanks in advance for any points in the right direction.

Edit: Style wise, I care not for wood. If it were all black except the edge, that'd be awesome. Looks are by all means the least important though. Wood is not an option though for a handle material/decoration.

Last edited:

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Semi-related question: What's everyone use for blade sharpening? I've heard good things about the Sharpmaker. Is it the best game in town?

Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Kershaw Leek! without a doubt the best knife i own! you can also get it with serrations.
    comes i different colors, like black, grey,and doesnt have wood materials. the knife is under $60, and is super sharp.
    it also is a spring assisted knife so its super easy to open!

contact Brad for more info and pricing!!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Spyderco Endura with the wave..!! Sound like this will fit your specs...!!

Definitely your best bet if your on a budget.

If you decide to go all out and want a purely defensive blade, the Spyderco Pikal is bad to the bone. The flat ground CPMS30V on it in a reverse grip would be absolutely devastating to a BG. The pocket clip is located very high on the handle, and makes it very easy to conceal. I absolutely love mine

Any of the waved Emerson's would also be a good choice. I personally like the CQC-8's blade profile and ergonomics for a general purpose blade, and the Karambit for SD.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Looks like a decent list for me to research today. Thanks. I'll report back with further questions as I get them. Of course, additional suggestions would be welcomed as well.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Look at the Kershaw Blurs at WW. Decent blade american made with a good warranty. $100 bucks could alomst buy two. :twocents: I have one that has seen 7 years of heavy use around the farm, camping, etc. still a good knife.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Waved Endura hands down winner in your price range. You get Emerson wave technology (licensed from Ernie not stolen like some), spyderco quality, and a very light for its size pocket freindly knife. If you want smaller get a waved delica. As has been said before save for an Emerson you will love it when you get it. but a waved spyderco should fit the bill right now.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    The Indy 1500 Gun & Knife Show is this month. If you go you will see LOTS of good EDC knives that should fit what you are looking for.!! And if you do go don't forget to stop by Bradsknives & Knifelady's Booth, great people to do business with...!!!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have several CRKT knives that do what you need. Currently I'm carrying an M16-04Z which is a fine blade but also comes in a 1/2 serated. It has a very easy thumb knob opening system, a very secure locking mechanism and good pocket clip that can be attached to either side. This particular knife is a Tanto style blade and I have found it to be very handy, It also hold an edge very well.
    Check out CRKT Knives - Columbia River Knife and Tool

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Capt. Jeff hit it on the head. The Kershaw Leek is one of the most iconic, usable knives ever made. It has been around for quite a while, so folks tend to forget, or simply overlook it, while they are breathing heavily over something new.

Granted, it is not a "tactical, tree chopper" kinda knife. But, on a day to day basis, I'm betting more of us are carrying something like a Leek, versus a 12" battle breath.

I think a lot of serious knife people have a Leek, someplace. They come in different colors, blades, and configurations; and they can do a lot of things. OK, you can't pry you hub caps off with one; keep a screwdrive in the trunk!

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Kershaw - I don't see anything like the Emerson Wave feature on anything they sell. (Learned what that was called today.) I do like the prices though!

Cold Steel - The Ti-lite is in the running for sure, even though it doesn't have partial serration. Anybody have experience with their "Zytel" handles?

Spyderco Endura Wave is in the running too. Edit: I seem to be unable to find this in a partial serrated blade anywhere. :(

CRKT - They have a lot I like. None that seem to be designed for opening "automatically" upon draw a la Emerson style. Am I just not finding it? Their website isn't the most intuitive.

Feedback on the narrowed down list?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Have to vote for the Cold Steel Voyager....use one of these everyday....hold an edge like a CHAMP......Not a big fan of Kershaw...have had four and none of them would hold and edge long enough to open an envelope!!

One thing I will say about the Kershaw over the Cold Steel is if you are usen your knife as a screw driver or to pry on things.....the Kershaw will just bend and can be straightened out...the cold steel is to hard and will break.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Have to vote for the Cold Steel Voyager....use one of these everyday....hold an edge like a CHAMP......Not a big fan of Kershaw...have had four and none of them would hold and edge long enough to open an envelope!!

One thing I will say about the Kershaw over the Cold Steel is if you are usen your knife as a screw driver or to pry on things.....the Kershaw will just bend and can be straightened out...the cold steel is to hard and will break.

Voyager - none with a wave like feature.

No knife I get will be used for anything but cutting. The swisstool will still be carried. I'm really down to the two choices I listed above, unless somebody can point me to something from crkt.

Top Bottom