• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My EDC is a SpyderCo Delica plain blade that has been waved. After just a little time to learn the drawing motion you can feild this blade as fast as any spring assist that I have been exposed to.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    I have one carried it in Iraq for a year. I now dub it as scrap metal. With a different sheath may have a different opinion.

Thanks for the opinion, what was it that you didn't like? This is why these forums are invaluable.. I love this place.:):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Mainly the sheath is just poorly designed, and very difficult to utilize. It was very difficult to find a position that was both comfortable and easy to draw from. I ended up just tucking the blade in to my vest minus sheath. The blade itself is a nice enough defense weapon. It just cannot overcome the substandard sheath, on its own merit.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    +1 for the Wave feature. My Emerson has it and it is S-L-I-C-K. One you get the motion down it is awesome. Spyderco has the feature on license from Emerson.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like a Spyderco Delica might be a safe bet.

Now to wave or not to wave. Plain edge? Combo edge?

waves.JPG

On the wave, my thought is "Why not?"

If you didn't have the wave, you couldn't open it quickly from the pocket, only using the thumbhole.

But, if you DID get the wave, you could open it either way you choose. Let the circumstances be your guide. (I waved my Endura open once at work and got some interesting eyes)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyZy6Ihq2BU]YouTube - Sistema WAVE para saque (Canivete) - silveiraknives.net[/ame]

As for combo vs. plain - I used to go exclusively combo, but didn't use the serrations much. On my Endura I wanted plain, as my use was primarily self-defense, with the occasional letter opening. :):

Its really a personal preference thing.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The more I look around for Delica's, the more I realize they ARE the G19's of knives.

Options options options. . .

imgp0639ox7.jpg

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Speaking of EDC knives...

I will have a few Benchmade Mini Griptilians (plain tanto blade), Kershaw R.A.M.s (plain drop point) and an Emerson Commander (plain Black-T blade) by the end of the week.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How about a Spyderco Delica. Seems like that is the winner here in this thread. How do the knives you mentioned compare to the Delica?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When you buy your Spyderco, go ahead and pick up their tri-hone system. Best sharpener out there (IMO). Or, if you want, I have a chefsmate - used once - that I will sell you for half price.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I didn't pick up the Delica because this supplier does not have them with the wave feature.

The Mini-Griptilian is very competitive with the Delica, and may even have a slight advantage design wise. The AXIS lock is easier to manipulated one handed where as the lockback design isn't.

The Kershaw R.A.M. might fit into that same category. I've never handled one, but the folks on bladeforums.com rave about it. It is one of those "you have to find one and try it, then you'll understand" knives. It is a flipper opening knife that (search Youtube) that looks very slick. Kershaw is really big on using Sandvik steels, which are mainly used for making razors and other surgical cutting tools. It takes a very sharp edge. It isn't quite in the league of 154CM or S30V, but a good steel that takes a good edge.

The Emerson Commander is a different animal all together. It is really and truly a hard use knife. A good friend of mine has one as his EDC knife and loves it. It is a big blade and has a substantial handle. G10 handles with a titanium liner, 154CM blade.

Last edited:

RedDragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    i've been carrying two cheap folders that have worked great for me--the Buck Bones and Gerber EVO

does anyone have an opinion about the Gerber Guardian Back-Up?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    i've been carrying two cheap folders that have worked great for me--the Buck Bones and Gerber EVO

does anyone have an opinion about the Gerber Guardian Back-Up?

I carried a Gerber Guardian Back up when I was in the service. It was a great knife. I stopped carrying it when I left the service. At the time I lived in Ohio and could not carry a straight blade knife.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I carry a Benchmade. What I like about it is that while clipped in your pocket it is oriented correctly, when you pull it out its in the right position for opening with a flick or wave. The CRKT I've had you have to flip around before opening.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Its not tacticool, but the Remington FAST knives are great, especially for the pricing. They are stronger than sin and I have yet to damage mine, especially after hard use and dropping. I've had mine for 2 years now and it's great.

For an everyday knife that one doesnt have to worry about if they lose them, check it out. I save my benchmade for a truely bad situation, not for everyday, trim my nails sort of duty.

RedDragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    does anyone know the exact knife carry laws in Indiana? specifically in Bloomington (if there are any city ordinances)? any restrictions on length, concealment, assisted open, etc.? automatic openers are a no-no from what I gather, but outside of that, i don't really know.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just ordered a Syderco Endura 4 Wave with a plain blade. I did this thanks to this thread. Only 55 bucks plus shipping.

Lots of great information on INGO. I love this place.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I carry a Benchmade. What I like about it is that while clipped in your pocket it is oriented correctly, when you pull it out its in the right position for opening with a flick or wave. The CRKT I've had you have to flip around before opening.

My M1614SF has the threaded holes allowing the clip to be positioned in any configuration: with the clip in the standard or inverted position and for left or right-handed use; however, the smaller model doesn't have this feature.
    I also like the fact that the M1614SF has the full hilt instead of the one tab off the back of the blade. With the clip inverted when you draw out of your pocket the tab on the top of the blade will catch the pocket and open the blade similar to the delica wave feature.
    I don't think you could go wrong with a Benchmade mini griptillian. I gave my Dad one last Christmas... Needless to say, I'm jelous.

SD530913.jpg

Top Bottom