• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Sig NEVER recommends grease, any grease, over oil.

You are not entirely accurate in your post. On page 51 of my Sig556 manual it states, " Lightly lubricate areas of metal contact with high quality firearms lubricant or grease." So stating that sig never recommends grease is simply incorrect.

not to speak for anyone else, but i took jake said as sig doesn't recommend the use of grease over that of oil. if the manual says either is accepatable, that is not the same as showing a preference of one over the other. not trying to split hairs, just giving my opinion.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    This is the best stuff, TW25b - grease, TW2500 - oil, and their MC25 weapon cleaner is all you need for Sigs...a sample is included with all new pistols and IS recommended by Sig...

A sample of TW25b grease is what came with my Sig556:yesway:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    not to speak for anyone else, but i took jake said as sig doesn't recommend the use of grease over that of oil. if the manual says either is accepatable, that is not the same as showing a preference of one over the other. not trying to split hairs, just giving my opinion.

I'll split hairs with ya ;) The manual never uses the word oil - it says lubricant;);) - and sig actually sends grease with the gun.
    sorry coundn't help myself :yesway::yesway:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have over the years purchased new sigs, they come with GREASE!
    I also own M1 Garands and M1A's, yes GREASE again. I use both oil and grease, depending on the firearm, and what the directions recommend.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    To the OP: I think the issue you are describing is called galling. It's when metal binds on metal at sufficient angle and snugness that it effectively rolls up small patches of metal, leaving a void where the metal used to be on one or the other surface. While this can (in rare cases) be attributed to a lack of lubrication, it is more likely, in gun slides, to be a case of poor alignment or straightness of one rail relative to another. This is something that I'm sure Sig would be more than happy to fix.

For what it's worth, I have sent firearms to Sig for various reasons over the years and have found them to be very conscientious and accommodating when it comes to customer service. Give them a chance to do the right thing and I'm betting you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've noticed a serious decline in the quality of Sig firearms since manufacturing moved to the United States. I've detailed my experiences in a blog entry found here:

Military Arms Blog: What has happened to Sig?

I find it disturbing as I used to be a big fan of Sig firearms. I'll still buy a German made gun, but until something changes at Sig USA I won't be buying anymore US made firearms.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Sig 229 did not come with any grease. I'm going to field strip it, clean it, lube it with rem-oil, and call it good. If it gets damaged, I'll never buy a Sig.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    full auto, that was good info, I now know I will never buy a sig556.
    I did not realize sig had so many problems with their firearms. I currently own two sig pistols a 220 and a 226 Navy. I have not put very many rounds thru either pistol, so it is yet to be determined if I will have issues with the rails. So far what little I have fired them, they have been perfect. Maybe I got lucky, they both have a good fit and finish as well.

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    There's a common misunderstanding introduced in this thread that I see on many gun forums.

There is NEVER a time when grease is better for a firearm than oil. By definition, grease inhibits movement. The reason people often use grease instead of oil is laziness. Grease stays in place longer but is definitely NOT a better choice. If you clean your gun and apply oil often, as you should, your rails, barrel, etc., will avoid a lot of the damage that occurs (especially in Sigs) from running them dry. Sig NEVER recommends grease, any grease, over oil. If you're going to shoot a Sig, you'll need to apply oil more than once to your rails and barrel during a long range session.
    Jake, you need to read Florks lube guide:
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701
    and reevaluate how you care for your pistols- also, I believe the word 'grease' is being misunderstood here, TW25B is synthetic, lightweight and very clean and has the viscosity need for metal to metal surfaces. As far as Sig never recommending grease:
    Mil-Comm Products - TW-25B synthetic lubricant protectant grease or oil for firearms, fishing reels, locks and hardware. - For Sig Sauer Owners and Enthusiasts

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    full auto, that was good info, I now know I will never buy a sig556.
    I did not realize sig had so many problems with their firearms. I currently own two sig pistols a 220 and a 226 Navy. I have not put very many rounds thru either pistol, so it is yet to be determined if I will have issues with the rails. So far what little I have fired them, they have been perfect. Maybe I got lucky, they both have a good fit and finish as well.

I have a sig 556/223 and the fit and finish are perfect. Flawless functioning. It is the swat version. Go figure.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    and reevaluate how you care for your pistols- also, I believe the word 'grease' is being misunderstood here, TW25B is synthetic, lightweight and very clean and has the viscosity need for metal to metal surfaces. As far as Sig never recommending grease:
    Mil-Comm Products - TW-25B synthetic lubricant protectant grease or oil for firearms, fishing reels, locks and hardware. - For Sig Sauer Owners and Enthusiasts

Informative read, I do not use that much grease on my sigs, but I will bump it up a little. Thanks for the link.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils

You can use it if you like. I'll pass.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I had a quality issue with my 229 elite last year. Approximatley 2 months and 500 rds after I bought it a pin kept working its way loose on the adjustable rear sight and the stainless slide had what I can only describe as rust colored dots on it.

I called Sig and they emailed me a pre-paid shipping label. A few weeks later I received a brand new slide, only it wasn't for the correct caliber. I called them again and they apologized and sent another pre-paid shipping label and off it went again, only this time they wanted the whole gun.

Approximately a month later I received my firearm, this time the correct slide. Approximately 700 rds later and everything is fine. Every company has occasional lemons(although it seems the qc at sig is getting worse) but I am glad they handled things appropriately, even with the few bobbles that shouldn't have happened.

The time wasn't that bad of an issue to me, although I would have liked it to be shorter, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig and I actually plan on it. Everyone has their own standards of expectations though.

fishin4wd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Update

Okay, so here is an update.

I called Sig customer service and described the problem and they said the chips of metal missing from the bottom of the slide is totally normal and that they would not issue an RMA for an issue like that unless the chips turned into "gouges".

I pointed out that to me they already looked like gouges since the other side still looks perfect. He said a cavity of 1/4 of an inch or more would warrant a return.

I have measured the piece of metal and then entire slide rail isn't even 1/4 of an inch!

I called back for good measure, got a different guy, and he said the same thing, only this time said they would have a look if teh cavity got to be 1/8th of an inch.

Now, in all fairness to Sig, I must also state that I have never had any kind of failure with this gun. It has worked flawlessly since I learned to hold it firmly enough to allow the slide to return to battery.

Either way, that is my last Sig purchase. I'll post some pictures in case they help.

Top Bottom