• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not sure when but I checked all over the net it's a gamble if you have to return it or not. I thought Taurus had a bad reputation. If Kimber is that bad how do they still get $1300 or more for their firearms?

People don’t look into things before they buy and Kimber makes very pretty 1911s (though those finishes may or may not hold up).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Both of my Kimbers ran well but neither had a finish that was worth a dam. I ended up bead blasting what was left of the silver finish off of the compact and just kept it that way. I sold the black one to an INGO member that just had to have it and pestered me to sell it.

I don’t know when the quality began being hit/miss with Kimber but I seem to have been fortunate in both of mine. The smaller one was the Ultra Carry, which is a 3” 1911 on an officer sized frame. It was a cool gun that ran well but really offered nothing that my 4” 1911 didn’t have as well.

Both of my Kimbers were probably after the quality issues began because both were built to a price point with rubber grips and plastic MSH. They both had plain sights and no front strap texture. If I had it to do again, I’d have skipped both of the Kimbers and just bought DW. It’s funny how you tell yourself that you cannot afford an $1100 pistol so you buy a $900 pistol and add $125 in night sights, a $40 MSH and $50 in grips to build the similar gun for $1115 that’s only worth $700 modified.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People don’t look into things before they buy and Kimber makes very pretty 1911s (though those finishes may or may not hold up).

Kimber used to have a very strong rep with a solid product. I had a few of those but trades/sales etc to move on and they are long gone.

The last 3 we had were just paper weights. Pretty as hell. Crap runners. I got hosed on a trade ending up with 2 of the "Custom" shop turds. Never again. I put some time into them, made them run and sent them down the road. The 3rd one languished as I was not going to spend any time/money on it. It went away as part of a multi gun trade with full disclosure.

But they sure were pretty.....:lmfao:

If you have one and you like it and it runs for you.......Good deal. Enjoy it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a plain Jane Kimber Custom (pre-II) stainless that was trouble free when I used to shoot it a lot. The same goes for the Eclipse Target II I shot a LOT in USPSA and IDPA matches before I got my first 9mm gun. The Eclipse was one of those "Wednesday" guns that must have been built when everyone was alert and doing their job. In addition to working well, it cycled really smoothly for a factory gun. It was a loaner a few times in classes (bwframe shot it some) and it was trouble free. I wouldn't take a chance on a new one now, though. If even 10% of the stories are true, it's not worth the potential aggravation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a plain Jane Kimber Custom (pre-II) stainless that was trouble free when I used to shoot it a lot. The same goes for the Eclipse Target II I shot a LOT in USPSA and IDPA matches before I got my first 9mm gun. The Eclipse was one of those "Wednesday" guns that must have been built when everyone was alert and doing their job. In addition to working well, it cycled really smoothly for a factory gun. It was a loaner a few times in classes (bwframe shot it some) and it was trouble free. I wouldn't take a chance on a new one now, though. If even 10% of the stories are true, it's not worth the potential aggravation.

There are a lot of them out there running well. Just like RIA's and even Taurus. It just seems I get the turds or see enough of the turds when my friends bring them over crying the blues when I told them to save a few more nickels and get something better.

Heck man they all turn out the occasional turd.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I bought a Kimber TLE Ultra Carry II, stainless slide with aluminum frame. Kimber still had a good reputation in my mind. After buying it I read some of the negative reports about MIM and what-not.

It is my EDC. It has always been reliable and accurate. The chamber is a little tight and my slightly bulged reloads are not 100% with a return to battery. It has never skipped a beat with factory ammo. The frame took some beating from the underside of the barrel at first but that has leveled off and doesn't seem to cause any issues.

That being said, others results may vary and I am grateful that I lucked out and got a good one.

But images of that DWX keep dancing in my head. The Sig Legion I could put off because of the striker design.

I have wanted a DW 45 or 357 for a very long time. After the purchase by CZ I started to think DW probably wasn't really DW anymore and I was just buying a name. I might settle for a DWX though.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I bought a Kimber TLE Ultra Carry II, stainless slide with aluminum frame. Kimber still had a good reputation in my mind. After buying it I read some of the negative reports about MIM and what-not.

It is my EDC. It has always been reliable and accurate. The chamber is a little tight and my slightly bulged reloads are not 100% with a return to battery. It has never skipped a beat with factory ammo. The frame took some beating from the underside of the barrel at first but that has leveled off and doesn't seem to cause any issues.

That being said, others results may vary and I am grateful that I lucked out and got a good one.

But images of that DWX keep dancing in my head. The Sig Legion I could put off because of the striker design.

I have wanted a DW 45 or 357 for a very long time. After the purchase by CZ I started to think DW probably wasn't really DW anymore and I was just buying a name. I might settle for a DWX though.

Dan Wesson dollar for dollar makes be best 1911's on the market IMHO, if anything the acquisition and additional cash flow from CZ made them better. That's just my opinion of course only owning 3 of the things :laugh:

Top Bottom