• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I found this in an area that I have frequently walked in and hunted in. The hole shown was previously completely covered and I have unwittingly walked nearly over or directly over it many times. To fall into this and be alone would almost certainly end badly.

The second picture is looking into the hole, obviously an old well. The surface of the water is approximately 20 feet away from the surface of the earth.

picture.php
    picture.php

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I would just cover it up and mark it on a map. Looks like a good water source in a shtf scenario.

Not a bad idea :yesway:
    I would take some water samples first and test them though. If they come back clean then - you got yourself a nice SHTF water source. Cover it up safely and secure, mark it with GPS coordinates and be on your way :)

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would definately flag that somehow, talk about dangerous!

A good suggestion and it made me think. I wanted to mark it but I could not find stakes and survey tape as I had imagined marking it, when you said "flag" it reminded to look in the old garage again. I found a bicycle flag that I was not using and placed it at the well hole as shown.

picture.php

Last edited:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Not a bad idea :yesway:
    I would take some water samples first and test them though. If they come back clean then - you got yourself a nice SHTF water source. Cover it up safely and secure, mark it with GPS coordinates and be on your way :)
    You better have a good filter or practice SODIS. Surface wells are filled with stuff to make you sick and die.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Good find, I found one a few years back the hard way. While out coon hunting a dog fell in one, I was able to get some friends and get lowered down and get him. But it could have turned out a lot worse I went back the next day and covered it.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Yep, that needs covered securely.

Hope there's only water down there!

Must be an old homesite foundation nearby.

Hint hint for the metal detectorists here.

Top Bottom