• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Things such as this absolutely need to be dealt with. No question. When in the trades we dealt with "Sick building" issues a lot.

The real issues come when the bids go out and the moneys start to exchange hands.......Ask me how I know this. It is most enlightening.

I can only guess... money has a way to bring out the worst. All sorts of spin and spec locks to get specific equipment on a job. I don't deal with it directly, but the project managers down the hall from me do.

It was $68 million to build a new school - I imagine that was too big of a pill for that community to swallow. The school is now over fifty years old and needs more than the small bandaids they've been applying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can only guess... money has a way to bring out the worst. All sorts of spin and spec locks to get specific equipment on a job. I don't deal with it directly, but the project managers down the hall from me do.

It was $68 million to build a new school - I imagine that was too big of a pill for that community to swallow. The school is now over fifty years old and needs more than the small bandaids they've been applying.

yes when there is a big pot of Gov. money up for grabs they roaches come out of the wood work.
    The school I graduated from was built in 1963. It is still standing tall by all accounts but they have stayed on top of it. Even then the expenditures were far higher than dealing with the private sector. Specs are insane. Costs are insane.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's the problem. What do you believe when we have raised a generation of public servants who understand that part of their job is soliciting taxpayer money?

Whether it be the years ago annual threat of teacher layoffs, the "teachers buying their own classroom supplies" or the school boards approving property purchases at many times over normal real estate pricing. We have been conditioned to throw money "for the children."

Don't even want to get in to school sports...:n00b:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The school I graduated from as the 100th graduating class was over 100 years old, they still use it to this day, I’ve not been to it in 30+ years. It’s still a viable building.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thing that got me the most yesterday was how the school flooded the polling place with 20-30-40 high school kids. We are not suppose to say no to them poor little unicorns. I do have mixed feelings on voting no. The school screwed this up bad. I seen the inspector's report and they could have fixed all the problems, at all schools and had a bunch leftover....for $10-15 million. Had they asked for that, people would probably have approved it. But when they hit people with $50+ million wish list request....people tend to push back.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thing that got me the most yesterday was how the school flooded the polling place with 20-30-40 high school kids. We are not suppose to say no to them poor little unicorns. I do have mixed feelings on voting no. The school screwed this up bad. I seen the inspector's report and they could have fixed all the problems, at all schools and had a bunch leftover....for $10-15 million. Had they asked for that, people would probably have approved it. But when they hit people with $50+ million wish list request....people tend to push back.

Wait, what?

Were they soliciting? That's highly illegal.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do believe 50' is the rule - take note of where all the signs end.

I took "flooding the polling place" to mean actually in the polling place.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do believe 50' is the rule - take note of where all the signs end.

I took "flooding the polling place" to mean actually in the polling place.
    I've always had them standing literally right outside the door at my polling place. I don't know if there's a specific distance that they're supposed to be from the entrance or not.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the room where people vote is more than 50 feet from the door, they can be at the door. If the voting is just inside, they have to be 50' from the door.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Maybe that was the plan all along. Ask for a crazy wish list and hope for the best. If it’s shot down, the much smaller amount in the Spring is a cinch.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If the room where people vote is more than 50 feet from the door, they can be at the door. If the voting is just inside, they have to be 50' from the door.

Well, the "room" is a gymnasium in a church, so it's less than 50' from "the room", but probably more than 50' from the voting machines.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sorry for confusion....they were outside the doors. Kind of weird though. It's not unusual seeing people working poll doors asking for votes and such.....but this was just kids(young adults) in school jackets and they did nothing but welcome you then they was thanking us as we left. Super nice young people. I feel bad the kids and teachers are paying the price for greedy, unresponsible school board. I thought about seeing how much it is to at least fix the playground equipment at the elementary school....and maybe donate, or get others to pitch in enough to do that, not sure what it would cost though and if they would accept it. I got a feeling we have not heard the last of this..but maybe they are smart enough to scale it down and take the public's opinion....come to a compromise and move forward.

Top Bottom