• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Different strokes for different folks. I'm an atheist, so naturally tithing seems like a massive waste of money.
    If I was an atheist, I'd be right there with you... I could have a lot of fun with all that money... so many guns... :drool:

If Jesus Christ wasn't God, then Christians are pathetic and foolish.

However, since Jesus Christ is God, then I'm rich beyond all measure.

:twocents:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I was an atheist, I'd be right there with you... I could have a lot of fun with all that money... so many guns... :drool:

If Jesus Christ wasn't God, then Christians are pathetic and foolish.

:twocents:

You and me both, brother.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Everyone believes their god is the correct one

images

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Someone is right regardless.

What turns me off of all of it is that most people just stick with what their parents taught them. And everyone is completely convinced that whatever they were born into is the right one.

I was born catholic and went to catholic school. The things they believe..... I finally just realized that it was all just a business and that if there was a god, there's no way it would endorse such things.

So here I am.....Agnostic.

So I guess either someone is right or no one is right. I have a 50-50 chance.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Someone is right regardless.

What turns me off of all of it is that most people just stick with what their parents taught them. And everyone is completely convinced that whatever they were born into is the right one.

I was born catholic and went to catholic school. The things they believe..... I finally just realized that it was all just a business and that if there was a god, there's no way it would endorse such things.

So here I am.....Agnostic.

I was raised Catholic. Was an alter server for years, even trained several.

I quit going to church for a large number of years. Then I was drawn back. I went thru Confirmation 2 years ago. Now, both my sons have been recently baptized.

I love the Catholic Church, even though I don’t agree with most of their teachings.

Anyway, once I pay off my wife’s car, we’ll have just the house. My plan is to up our retirement, our savings, start my boys’ college fund, then start tithing because the Good Lord has been much too kind to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    .... I finally just realized that it was all just a business and that if there was a god, there's no way it would endorse such things...

I don't quite know what you mean by that, but generally speaking, our idea of what God would or would not endorse based on anything outside of what He reveals about Himself, including our opinions, is irrelevant.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was raised Catholic. Was an alter server for years, even trained several.

I quit going to church for a large number of years. Then I was drawn back. I went thru Confirmation 2 years ago. Now, both my sons have been recently baptized.

I love the Catholic Church, even though I don’t agree with most of their teachings.

Anyway, once I pay off my wife’s car, we’ll have just the house. My plan is to up our retirement, our savings, start my boys’ college fund, then start tithing because the Good Lord has been much too kind to me.
    At the risk of offending, but why are you putting God at the end?

Part of my financial planning has always been to put giving unto the Lord up front, then working with what's left.

I can't really say I've committed my life unto the Lord if I hold my finances under my own control.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Part of my financial planning has always been to put giving unto the Lord up front, then working with what's left.

I can't really say I've committed my life unto the Lord if I hold my finances under my own control.

Oh I’m not. I should have mentioned the 10% tithing. I’m not at the point where that’s in the budget yet. We just give what we can in the collection basket.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Yep it is offending and your attitude is exactly why I hate organized religion. Just like in jesus time people want to make a show of their donations to the church and call out those who dont or cant or give less. If someone doesnt feel the need to donate or cant then that is between them and their God. It isn't for any other member of the church to hold over them or call them out on.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...If someone doesnt feel the need to donate or cant then that is between them and their God. It isn't for any other member of the church to hold over them or call them out on.

I agree with this.

...but let's not pretend that God had nothing to say about the issue. It's not Jetta's idea.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yep it is offending and your attitude is exactly why I hate organized religion. Just like in jesus time people want to make a show of their donations to the church and call out those who dont or cant or give less. If someone doesnt feel the need to donate or cant then that is between them and their God. It isn't for any other member of the church to hold over them or call them out on.
    Thank you for jumping in with your opinion of how you think Christians should act.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....If you truly believe what the bible says.....you should be sacrificing to give that check to the church.

Personally, I don't agree with organized religion. But I do take issue with "Christians" that pick and choose what portions of the faith they follow.

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19

I agree with this.

...but let's not pretend that God had nothing to say about the issue. It's not Jetta's idea.

Top Bottom