• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ATM

I agree with you that DST is a farce. It most certainly does NOT save or create more daylight time in a 24 hour period - it only affects the perceptions thereof.

I wonder, given that we are on it for ~8 months of the year, would you object to a permanent shift of the clock so that we used this so-called DST 12 months of the year. Given that time zones and the clock are somewhat arbitrary creations anyway it seems like doing this and not changing twice per year might be somewhat less offensive. Then, perhaps, the true issue would be whether Indiana properly belongs in the Central Time Zone or the Eastern Time Zone.

I can think of a few reasons why both sides might be against that.

ANTI-DST: What about the too-late-at-night fire-side wine? What about the kiddies having to stay up late until it's dark enough for the 4th of July fireworks?

PRO-DST: If we don't have to change our clocks twice per year, how else can we possibly remember to check our smoke detectors?

Actually I've switched positions. I now care immensely. No, really we must end the madness now. I've come to realize that it really is a dire matter of national survival. We must end this DST treachery now. It is the single most important thing INGO can ***** about. Freedoms are being lost as we read this. Wine is going to waste. The very fabric of logic is being rent apart. And I also suspect there may be plastic pigeons involved somehow.

If that's not enough reason to utterly destroy DST, well, I guess we'll have to keep *****ing until those evil pro-DST and the even worse non-caring fuddy-duddies capitulate.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Been off the grid for a few days.... One last trip to NoDak to load up the rest of our belongings and our little 14' aluminum boat and bring 'em to our new home.
    THANK GOD for DST!! Working late into the evenings it was nice to have the 'extra' daylight the good Lord provides us. Also, yesterday AM driving the loaded up U-Haul east into the sunrise, and I got an 'extra' hour of darkness to contemplate life and not being blinded by the bright hazy orange orb over Indy.
    Now I LOVE DST,:rockwoot: until I find a reason not to.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ATM

I agree with you that DST is a farce. It most certainly does NOT save or create more daylight time in a 24 hour period - it only affects the perceptions thereof.

I wonder, given that we are on it for ~8 months of the year, would you object to a permanent shift of the clock so that we used this so-called DST 12 months of the year. Given that time zones and the clock are somewhat arbitrary creations anyway it seems like doing this and not changing twice per year might be somewhat less offensive. Then, perhaps, the true issue would be whether Indiana properly belongs in the Central Time Zone or the Eastern Time Zone.

I have no objection or preference to which time folks want to stay on, the most reasonable first step is simply to abandon this nonsensical changing of the clocks and schedules twice per year.

Time zones could ultimately be abandoned later, once people acclimate back toward an acceptance of reality.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Can't speak for anyone else... but I'm not "mad". I just don't like it and won't ever. In *my* life with *my* family in *our* events, there's no good place for DST and the clock moving to allow daylight farther into the evening wrecks more than it helps. In fact, I can't think of one single thing it helps us with...but I named a bunch of things it muscles in to ruin.
    There again...I'm just speaking for myself.

I feel much the same...except I think I am kinda mad. It really takes a lot out of my summer evenings. :(

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Been off the grid for a few days.... One last trip to NoDak to load up the rest of our belongings and our little 14' aluminum boat and bring 'em to our new home.
    THANK GOD for DST!! Working late into the evenings it was nice to have the 'extra' daylight the good Lord provides us. Also, yesterday AM driving the loaded up U-Haul east into the sunrise, and I got an 'extra' hour of darkness to contemplate life and not being blinded by the bright hazy orange orb over Indy.
    Now I LOVE DST,:rockwoot: until I find a reason not to.

Glad your back Nodonutz and that your trip was more enjoyable with DST. Here is another benefit with it as well. You will live a longer healthy life. Researchers have long known that most heart attacks occur on Mondays, but the studys suggests that the stress increase for people against Daylight Saving Time. The anger of the time change plays a role in the spike in heart attacks.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Now I LOVE DST,:rockwoot: until I find a reason not to.

So, we have your support to celebrate and relish it year-round rather than switching everything up again just for winter, right?

I mean, who in their right mind would want to 'give back' that precious 'extra' hour during the darkest season, when we need it most?

That hour is yours! Never let them take it back!

;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, really we must end the madness now. I've come to realize that it really is a dire matter of national survival. We must end this DST treachery now. It is the single most important thing INGO can ***** about. Freedoms are being lost as we read this. Wine is going to waste. The very fabric of logic is being rent apart.

What about crying about Sunday beer sales (which, you know, you can already buy on Sunday)?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So, now that the cheering and slobbering for DST has dwindled down, all the clocks changed, everyone's schedules and sequential processes adjusted to compensate for doing everything one hour earlier...

is there any basis for changing everything back again for 4 months in the winter? Any reason?

Wouldn't switching it back for no good reason drive another huge nail of absurdity into the 'argument' of everyone who claimed to favor it or its oft refuted 'benefits'?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, now that the cheering and slobbering for DST has dwindled down, all the clocks changed, everyone's schedules and sequential processes adjusted to compensate for doing everything one hour earlier...

is there any basis for changing everything back again for 4 months in the winter? Any reason?

Wouldn't switching it back for no good reason drive another huge nail of absurdity into the 'argument' of everyone who claimed to favor it or its oft refuted 'benefits'?
    If we don't switch back, there will be a slew of articles citing "workplace productivity consults" blaming that loss of one hour in the year for $200 billion in lost productivity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Yes. Just to perpetuate the entertainment value of this thread.

See y'all in November.

Top Bottom