• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Completely guessing that it's latent moisture from the bean itself. Again, this is something that I referenced already.
    I don’t care if you referenced already. Those words don’t mean anything in real life, only in your head.

“Completely guessing”, goes to “something I’ve referenced already” so it’s gospel truth written in stone fact.

If the beans had any latent moisture in them they couldn’t be cut (harvested). If the pods have any (ok, by any I mean the beans themselves are literally 9-14% moisture by weight, the pods are drier than that) they couldn’t be cut in the daytime.

THAT IS DEW.
    Go outside, man.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Still likely not dew, unless you're talking about morning twilight. There may also be evaporation from recent rain or lawn watering. But the air temperature, generally speaking, does not approach the dew point until early morning. The earth is radiating too much latent heat during/through evening twilight for ambient air temperature to drop enough to approach the dew point. There are, again, certainly localized edge cases. (And I'm guessing those would also often be associated with foggy conditions.)
    There you said “likely not” but then used a bunch of big words to make it at least rhyme with “not dew”.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Cars essentially create their own microclimates, due to the windows, heat accumulation/retention inside the car during the day, and additional heat loss at night. So, yeah, you can absolutely get boundary conditions around a car window that are different from otherwise ambient conditions, leading to condensation on the windshield.
    @DoggyDaddy take the wheel!
    IMG_7488.jpeg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pretty sure I never said that, and in fact said the opposite. But that's a very localized thing (see the previous comment about car windshields).

I probably should never have said anything, because it's irrelevant, and in true INGO fashion, my statement "that's not dew" got turned into "the grass isn't wet". :rolleyes:
    First, I didn't say you said that (I'm sure to many INGOers suspect this is turning into a who's on first skit). I asked if you were saying that. It's a reasonable question given the conversation. You don't seem to like it when people share reasons why they don't like to mow in late evening. The grass often gets dewy in the humid summers. Response: :runaway: THAT'S NOT DEW! Okay, that representation is a little hyperbolic, but to make the point. You didn't like it when we used the D word.

I think it's reasonable to say it's dew. My grass often gets wet in the humid summer after sunset, when the temps drop. It's not controversial that temps can drop down to the dew point on muggy evenings, after sun sets. I don't know why you're disputing that, other than perhaps to advance the argument that the grass would have been wet an hour earlier anyway, thus marginalizing the point (I mean we are talking about the advantages of DST with regards to mowing). But I don't want to claim an underlying motivation you don't have, so I'll let you explain why it's necessary to say that it isn't dew, and then defend it citing processes you don't even know how it would work. When most likely, it is just dew. Simple. It's "Occam's" simple.

And it's okay to go there. We've had even more pedantic arguments than this one on INGO. :):

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    does anybody really care
    We've all got time enough
    If so, I can't imagine why
    We've all got time enough to cry

I'm told that Chicago's original lyrics after that last phrase is...

because the dew between our toes,
    but I ain't got no time for tears,
    the sun is setting
    no more beers
    even wet grass needs cutting

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There you said “likely not” but then used a bunch of big words to make it at least rhyme with “not dew”.
    I think it's time for an explanation for why it can't be dew, that it has to be some unknown process involving the plant knowing to release its moisture right after sunset on a humid day. A process that doesn't involve the formation of dew.

Or. We could allow for one time face saving offer to just drop it. I'm not a botanist and I'm sure Chip has taken more plant biology classes than I have. Maybe there's some term I don't know. Maybe it's part of photosynthesis, where excess water from synthesizing nutrients from CO2 and water after the process stops. I totally made that up. If I end up correct, I'm gonna go bet $500 that the Lions win the 2025 Superbowl.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm told that Chicago's original lyrics after that last phrase is...

because the dew between our toes,
    but I ain't got no time for tears,
    the sun is setting
    no more beers
    even wet grass needs cutting
    The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor (GIF Image)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t care if you referenced already. Those words don’t mean anything in real life, only in your head.

“Completely guessing”, goes to “something I’ve referenced already” so it’s gospel truth written in stone fact.

If the beans had any latent moisture in them they couldn’t be cut (harvested). If the pods have any (ok, by any I mean the beans themselves are literally 9-14% moisture by weight, the pods are drier than that) they couldn’t be cut in the daytime.

THAT IS DEW.
    Go outside, man.
    Completely guessing other causes besides dew, when dew is a perfectly valid likelihood. That's what I find oddly astonishing about this conversation has turned.

Another observation I've made, if it's not dew, then mowing after sunset doesn't have deleterious effects on our equipment.. So then there's no reason why we can't spend the money on lights and the time setting them up, that we could have spent mowing if we could have gotten to it an hour earlier in the sun's cycle.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Completely guessing other causes besides dew, when dew is a perfectly valid likelihood. That's what I find oddly astonishing about this conversation has turned.

Another observation I've made, if it's not dew, then mowing after sunset doesn't have deleterious effects on our equipment.. So then there's no reason why we can't spend the money on lights and the time setting them up, that we could have spent mowing if we could have gotten to it an hour earlier in the sun's cycle.
    My tractors have lights :p

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I've got the answer. The grass is sweating. It's been out in the hot sun all day, but that same hot sun makes the grass sweat dry up during the day, so you don't notice that it's sweating. When the sun goes down and it's still warm and humid, the sweat doesn't evaporate, so you can see it. I'm pretty sure I'm right. :thumbsup:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I think it's time for an explanation for why it can't be dew, that it has to be some unknown process involving the plant knowing to release its moisture right after sunset on a humid day. A process that doesn't involve the formation of dew.

Or. We could allow for one time face saving offer to just drop it. I'm not a botanist and I'm sure Chip has taken more plant biology classes than I have. Maybe there's some term I don't know. Maybe it's part of photosynthesis, where excess water from synthesizing nutrients from CO2 and water after the process stops. I totally made that up. If I end up correct, I'm gonna go bet $500 that the Lions win the 2025 Superbowl.
    Don’t make the bet.
    Photosynthesis is done.
    The beans are deader than a doornail, and we wait for them to dry down. Like most harvested crops around here.

I can drop it too, I shouldn’t care so much, but it’s a great example of how someone that can make an argument sound good could convince someone with lesser knowledge convinced of something that just isn’t true.
    Just remembering the covid threads that I wasn’t smart enough to argue in, that’s all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I've got the answer. The grass is sweating. It's been out in the hot sun all day, but that same hot sun makes the grass sweat dry up during the day, so you don't notice that it's sweating. When the sun goes down and it's still warm and humid, the sweat doesn't evaporate, so you can see it. I'm pretty sure I'm right. :thumbsup:
    As good a non-dew explanation as any. :):

Top Bottom