• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Completely guessing that it's latent moisture from the bean itself. Again, this is something that I referenced already.

Given that the ground is evaporating water during the day as well as plants transpiring pretty much all the time, I would expect the humidity, and thus the dew point to be quite a bit higher as you get close to the ground. If the humidity was 90%+ within 6 inches of the ground then dew would form fairly quickly after sundown

The tell would be, if your lawn is wet is there any condensation on less porous surfaces like driveway or concrete

Edit: Should be a simple test. Take a humidity sensor (many of us have them in our safes) and place it on the lawn a half hour after sunset. After you get a reading move it to a table top or look up the RH on a weather app (the more locally fine-grained the better)

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The grass often gets dewy in the humid summers. Response: :runaway: THAT'S NOT DEW! Okay, that representation is a little hyperbolic, but to make the point. You didn't like it when we used the D word.
    Why is that a problem but:
    'Roads do plan for bicycles, the requirement for bicycle safe gratings is one example'

'That's not 'road planning' for bicycles, it isn't a traffic carrying area'

Is not? Seems like analogous 'reasoning'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think I've got the answer. The grass is sweating. It's been out in the hot sun all day, but that same hot sun makes the grass sweat dry up during the day, so you don't notice that it's sweating. When the sun goes down and it's still warm and humid, the sweat doesn't evaporate, so you can see it. I'm pretty sure I'm right. :thumbsup:
    You're right! See #4921

In before anyone argues transpiration isn't really perspiration. Close enough!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why is that a problem but:
    'Roads do plan for bicycles, the requirement for bicycle safe gratings is one example'

'That's not 'road planning' for bicycles, it isn't a traffic carrying area'

Is not? Seems like analogous 'reasoning'

A point was made that a problem with mowing after sunset, when it's humid, the grass is often dewy. That tends to dull the blades prematurely. Chip was skeptical that it's dew. He did later admit that's perhaps a distinction without a difference. It's at least that. But also, it's probably dew. What does that have to do with road planning?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well. I finished my outside work quite a bit before sunset tonight. I feel like I'm wasting all that daylight out there.
    I got a lot done outside today (weeding and mulching), but I was done by 4. I put a tarp on my 5x8 utility trailer to load mulch on, but it had gotten too windy for me to keep it in place long enough to get mulch on it to weigh it down. That has nothing to do with DST. I was just sayin'... :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got a lot done outside today (weeding and mulching), but I was done by 4. I put a tarp on my 5x8 utility trailer to load mulch on, but it had gotten too windy for me to keep it in place long enough to get mulch on it to weigh it down. That has nothing to do with DST. I was just sayin'... :)

I was thinking about finishing the day washing the cars. But that wind was nasty.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A point was made that a problem with mowing after sunset, when it's humid, the grass is often dewy. That tends to dull the blades prematurely. Chip was skeptical that it's dew. He did later admit that's perhaps a distinction without a difference. It's at least that. But also, it's probably dew. What does that have to do with road planning?
    Janus reasoning

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Welp. I ran out of daylight tonight. I actually had to get the work lights out!

That's it! I'm gonna call my state representatives. Call the governor. Lobby for DDST (Double DST)!! :rockwoot:

Also. It's probably time to put the extra work lights on the tractor that I bought last year. I never got around to installing them because, what with all the daylight, I never really needed them. Had to drag out the work light, string a bunch of extension cords together. Big hassle. I never want to have to do that again.

Wait. This sounds like a tool opportunity here. One of those portable power stations. Then I wouldn't need to string together all those extension chords for the lights. I think I need better flashlights too.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think we wasted a lot of posts on side topics and stuff. We're almost to 5K now. I was hoping we could get maybe two more clock changes in on this thread.

Top Bottom