• ...and so much more!
  • Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    This was in Dear Abby today (Sat., 12 October):

DEAR ABBY: My vegetarian, won't-harm-a-fly husband owns two handguns. They were bought before I met him. He knows I don't approve. I have always felt strongly about not raising children in a home where guns are kept. His argument for having them is that he distrusts our government. He claims the guns will protect our family if there is ever an uprising or a riot.While I support his desire to protect our family, I'm frightened by the much more immediate possibility of an accident happening, or the children finding them and harming themselves or someone else.
    We plan to start a family in the near future, and I have tried to talk him into either getting rid of the guns or storing them elsewhere. Every time I raise the subject, it turns into an argument and he insists he won't get rid of them. I'm at a loss about how to resolve this problem. Any advice? -- UNWILLING TO GIVE UP IN PENNSYLVANIA

DEAR UNWILLING: Would your vegetarian, wouldn't-harm-a-fly husband consider trigger locks for his weapons or a gun safe? If not, then perhaps you should consider raising your children with a man who isn't already married to his guns.

Any opinions? What would YOU have said if you were Abby? What do you have to say to Abby?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think he should find a new wife who will talk to him and understand his rationale instead of writing a newspaper column. I think he knows this already though, or I hope so.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Bah, multiple fails.

First, she has made her psoition clear "UNWILLING TO GIVE UP" she doesn't want any firearm around. Abby suggest trigger locks or gunsafe then add fuel to this womans fire by saying the man is "already married" to his guns.

Whose to say his arms aren't already trigger locked and in a safe?

And what the heck good is defensive arms if you are a "wouldn't harm a fly" type person anyway? Gonna hope warning shots work?

Plus I don't like the attitude that the female is "The Decider" where she says "you should consider raising your (future) children with a man who isn't already married to his guns". See I thought if they had children together and got divorced/disollutioned that the courts would decide custody based upon desires and laws of the State.

Just full of fails, IMHO.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'm sure there is quite a bit left out of "hubbies" side of the story. Abby shoulda said "Hey lady, he's being the man of the house by wanting and doing it by protecting YOU from possible harm. A gun in the home is the first line of defense from invaders whether they rapists or meth head robberies. What's wrong with that?"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Divorce him and get some cats.

Or talk to your hubby. Nah, don't do that....

Why talk? She's already made it clear that talking only results in arguments. That probably has something to do with the fact that she refuses to compromise and requires his complete surrender to her will. Screw that. Talk is only a means to work out a compromise. When one party refuses to compromise, what's the point?

They should probably divorce now before the kids become another issue between them. I have to wonder what he gets out of them relationship that he couldn't duplicate in another one without the baggage and drama this model comes with.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Did this lady know her husband owned firearms before they were married? If so, why are you throwing a fit now? If she didn't know he was a gun owner, buy a gun safe and the problem is solved. If there is a gun safe present, then you sir married an irrational ding bat.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Several good reply's here.

Just my thought.. The guy bought the guns before she met him. I would assume she new he had them before getting married, so why did this not get taken care of before they said I do??
    He needs to do his best to educate her so she is not so anti-gun or it may be time to move on, life is too short..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Several good reply's here.

Just my thought.. The guy bought the guns before she met him. I would assume she new he had them before getting married, so why did this not get taken care of before they said I do??
    He needs to do his best to educate her so she is not so anti-gun or it may be time to move on, life is too short..
    She needed the legal union as leverage.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Dear Unwilling:
    You worthless, insufferable twit. Do you really think handing your hubby a copy of your 'letter' with my response is going make any difference? How clueless are you? Do him a huge favor and file for divorce BEFORE you bring children into this world. You will undoubtedly screw them up for life. BTW: When he's alone, I'll bet he goes to McDonalds for lunch.

Regards,

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    ONE of those guns belongs in his pants pocket holster, and the other one belongs on her HIP, and THEN how are little kids messing with them, hmm? Also, people have found themselves doing all SORTS of things nobody could have imagined them doing, when push came to shove.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If not, then perhaps you should consider raising your children with a man who isn't already married to his guns.

Well, isn't that nice advice. I guess the phrase in that vow "...until death do you part..." is just some sort of throw away line. If she knew he had those guns before they got married (which is the impression I get from the reading), the burden is on her "to get over it"; she knew what she was getting into. To suggest throwing away a marriage over the presence a couple of guns in the house---I guess the advice is worth exactly what "UNWILLING..." paid for it. Maybe their parakeets will get more value out of it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    She could get over it and EDUCATE their children in the safe handling of firearms. I really cant stand the whole idea of just because there is a gun in the house makes the house unsafe for children. educate educate and then educate some more.:twocents:

Top Bottom