• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    What retailers of any kind do you go to that act like they have time for you and they are thrilled you are there? Sadly, this is an overall society problem not a just a LGS problem. I do have concerns with gun buyers choosing the internet in large enough numbers that put the LGS’s out of business.

Seems to me the sentiment in the post is a self fulfilling prophecy, if all the guns sold on the internet were instead sold locally how many more stores would be needed to run the volume? Is the fact that internet retailers have such low overhead, and therefore pricing, forcing the LGS to reduce the quality of service to remain competitive and thereby driving folks to the internet?
    One thing to consider is that most firearms sold on the internet are sold by LGS's or big box stores. They are the ones who have kept up with the times and learned how to take advantage of a much larger market.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    What retailers of any kind do you go to that act like they have time for you and they are thrilled you are there? Sadly, this is an overall society problem not a just a LGS problem. I do have concerns with gun buyers choosing the internet in large enough numbers that put the LGS’s out of business.

Seems to me the sentiment in the post is a self fulfilling prophecy, if all the guns sold on the internet were instead sold locally how many more stores would be needed to run the volume? Is the fact that internet retailers have such low overhead, and therefore pricing, forcing the LGS to reduce the quality of service to remain competitive and thereby driving folks to the internet?
    They are always friendly when collecting my $35 for a transfer (which used to be $15), but hey at least I get the guns for $100+ less than they sell them for without the attitude. There will always be a FFL happy to collect fees for paperwork.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    My "Go-To" LGS in Logansport just recently closed their doors. Mom & Pop store that had been in business with the same family since approximately 1969. Doors now closed. Very sad, the end of an era.
    The days of the Internet. My collection of 90's sports cards aren't worth hundreds, but when I was a kid they were worth thousands. Those hard to find items you would have to get special ordered from your FFL are now only a click away. Accessories are way cheaper online delivered to your door and the Internet has everything you want without having to drive everywhere. Change is here to stay. Gun shops have to adapt and evolve or sink. What that is, I don't know.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The days of the Internet. My collection of 90's sports cards aren't worth hundreds, but when I was a kid they were worth thousands. Those hard to find items you would have to get special ordered from your FFL are now only a click away. Accessories are way cheaper online delivered to your door and the Internet has everything you want without having to drive everywhere. Change is here to stay. Gun shops have to adapt and evolve or sink. What that is, I don't know.
    This reminded me of a neat gun shop I used to visit when I’d visit family down in Tennessee—Robertson’s Trading Post, Henderson, TN. It’s on one of the streets they filmed the original Walking Tall movie back in the 70’s. That place, that whole street was a flash back to early 20th century rural Tennessee. They seemed to always be busy when I’d go visit.

One trip down there, a number of years ago, I mentioned to my brother we ought to go check them out (to get out of the house for awhile). I was surprised to learn they’d gone strictly on-line. The shop was no longer open for walk ins. I guess that’s worked out for them. I did a quick search and they appear to still be in business.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They are always friendly when collecting my $35 for a transfer (which used to be $15), but hey at least I get the guns for $100+ less than they sell them for without the attitude. There will always be a FFL happy to collect fees for paperwork.
    You seem awfully confident of that. Don’t worry, lots of folks believe the same thing while ignoring the ATF efforts to make having an FFL a pain, it is called normalcy bias…

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    You seem awfully confident of that. Don’t worry, lots of folks believe the same thing while ignoring the ATF efforts to make having an FFL a pain, it is called normalcy bias…
    To be clear, I am not anti-LGS, I just choose to not spend thousands of dollars with people who act like I bother them by asking to be assisted. Not all LGS's are like this, but anymore it seems like the number is growing. The whole sales pitch behind buying from a LGS is the customer service. Well if your customer service sucks, I won't give you my hard earned money.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Why would they say something like that to the gun buying public? It's economic suicide.

That f***ing little snot said that to me as my hand was pulling my wallet out of the bag. Should have been an incident. In retrospect think I did the right thing by shutting up and moving on.
    They probably don't get many guys carrying a purse that actually buy a firearm.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They probably don't get many guys carrying a purse that actually buy a firearm.
    its-not-a-purse-its-a-satchel.png

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I'll try to make this as concise as possible .....

A notorious Bloomington LGS I used to frequent wasn't the best with customer service but at least it was somewhere to spend lunch occasionally. After seeing me there a half dozen times they started being friendly. After talking with them for a few months and buying what I would consider significant amount of ammo and guns I decided to go in and drop $9k for an order of a M82, picked out my color and barrel length said probably 2 weeks or less itll be in..... fast forward 9 months I'd fought with them endlessly with 1 excuse after another them 90% of the time blaming Barrett for being behind. I tried to get my money back but it was "already paid for" and not in their hands. A employee let it slip that I had a "credit" on my account essentially till it came in. I used that credit to buy and/or return guns and emptied out the credit. They still have not contacted me about a m82 nearly 2 yrs later.

Less than a year ago USDS opened in Ellettsville (Bloomington address). After frequenting it alot Ive always been impressed. I asked Caleb (the owner) about getting an m82a1. He had one in the store in 3 days.....

The death of the LGS is because people like guns but can't run a business. I say notorious about the first one because there is plenty of threads where American Arms has screwed people over one way or another. I came to the conclusion I basically gave him an interest free loan to go towards the new place they just built.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Another cause of the death of the LGS are ridiculously high prices in some cases. I mean really ridiculous especially when you see the same firearms in other locales for significantly lower prices.
    Before you all start, yes I know the subtleties of costs for brick and mortar stores but big, big differences in prices are just not justified. There are a couple of stores in my area that need to do price checks every once in a while. My 2 cents. That’s all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another cause of the death of the LGS are ridiculously high prices in some cases. I mean really ridiculous especially when you see the same firearms in other locales for significantly lower prices.
    Before you all start, yes I know the subtleties of costs for brick and mortar stores but big, big differences in prices are just not justified. There are a couple of stores in my area that need to do price checks every once in a while. My 2 cents. That’s all.
    So all retailers pay the same price for inventory?

Top Bottom