• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    It would be an easy choice to give up my life to protect family but I don't know about random classmates.

Why assume that the sights will fall on a random classmate and not you? Would you feel good cowering in the corner and witnessing the folks you sit next to murdered in cold blood?

Your concern about being mistaken for the active shooter is valid, but no more so than any other public circumstance that you may use lethal force in, such as shooting an armed robber who is brandishing and pointing a firearm at yourself or a 3rd party. The advice I have heard, if this horrible event ever occurs, is to make sure that the BG is unable to continue presenting a threat(disarmed and down) , and then apply your safety and reholster your firearm. Do not draw attention to yourself, just blend in with the others at the scene. Call the 911 if possible and state only your location, that you were afraid for your life, and to send an ambulance. Next, call your lawyer. When police arrive, tell them you were afraid for your life. Surrender your weapon to them, but make no other statements until your legal counsel arrives.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was talking more along the lines of using the gun in a place where I was not supposed to have a gun. My fear would be to have the cops come in when I was using it to protect myself and a cop shooting first and asking questions later.

Ex: Kid goes on a killing spree on campus and the cops are called. Kid comes into my classroom where I proceed to protect my self where at the same time the cops get there. I get shot and killed because they came into a room and I had a gun where I was not supposed to so they think im the one on the killing spree.

I know that is a lot of "ifs" but I have reservations about carring where I am not supposed to carry. That being said I would love to be able to carry on campus with all that has been happening.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    "The force is strong with this one"

All kidding aside I am interested in how one would do this.

Im not 100% on what rimfire is referring to but in my case, I have begun to carry in my backpack which is always close to me. When your professor tells you that there are no rooms in the building that can be locked from the inside, and call phone signal is non-existent, you tend to forget about rules :D

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    There are dozens of ways to conceal a weapon off your body. Man purse. Day planner. backpack. messenger bag. under desk holster.

It's a huge disadvantage - but I know exactly what motions it would take to access my weapon if needed from most positions in my office - and wherever else I'm at in our victim zone (assuming I have my chosen method of concealment with me).

It could be worse. i could have a cell phone and a can of mace.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ex: Kid goes on a killing spree on campus and the cops are called. Kid comes into my classroom where I proceed to protect my self where at the same time the cops get there. I get shot and killed because they came into a room and I had a gun where I was not supposed to so they think im the one on the killing spree.

This is why you use it, then return it to deep concealment (like in the bottom of a book bag) and await for cops. Under no circumstances should you expect to live if cops storm the building and you have a gun in your hand. Put it on the ground, in your bag, in a trashcan what ever but get it out of your hands ASAP. Let the facts come out later.

Denny L

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Virginia Tech could of been prevented with one well armed civilian. I see your point and not trying to set off on some debate. Its a personal issue. I spent 22 years in the militray and 13 in law enforcement I feel naked without a weapon. FWIW I also always carry a good folder for such occasions as you mention. Good luck with your education it is one thing no one can take away from you

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    We are not allowed to have a firearm in our vehicle or on our person at my school. I've been told it is a little risky, but I break my pistol down and store the pieces in different spots in my vehicle, then assemble it off campus. I just hate the idea of my vehicle breaking down or having to stop for gas in a bad area and not having protection.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    We are not allowed to have a firearm in our vehicle or on our person at my school. I've been told it is a little risky, but I break my pistol down and store the pieces in different spots in my vehicle, then assemble it off campus. I just hate the idea of my vehicle breaking down or having to stop for gas in a bad area and not having protection.

This might be just a PITA for no good reason, because

1. If you conceal it inside your locked vehicle, how would it be found? Throw it in the trunk.

2. The part of the handgun that has the serial number on it is typically considered a "firearm", so if the school really wants to bust your balls they will anyway.

Actually, 18 U.S.C. § 921 says that a firearm is "(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;"

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I go to IUPUI downtown, and with recent concerns occuring in the local area I feel a bit naked about not carrying especially in an urban area such as this. However, I am in the same boat as the others, I am close to finishing my degree and would hate to lose it over an administrator noticing that I am carrying, although it is unlikely. I have read on the school website that one can be granted permission to carry on campus with reasonable justification. Does anyone know how to go about doing this or have expirience with it in the past?

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I in this situation agree with the OP. It just isnt worth it. I have faced a few instances where after looking at the probable outcomes I choose not to carry in a particular place.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I in this situation agree with the OP. It just isnt worth it. I have faced a few instances where after looking at the probable outcomes I choose not to carry in a particular place.
    I agree but, even though I have been off-campus for over 20 years, V Tech shooting taught me one thing. I would NEVER be anywhere, unarmed, and unprotected like that again. Carry off body in your backpack, etc. No one is going to search your bag for med class!:)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Until the advent of the current parking lot law, I carried "off-body" at work for over a year. About the only place that won't work is where you have to go through a metal detector or security scanner prior to entering a facility.

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I gave my Fiancée mace to carry while going to school at IUPUI ( no chance of having her carry ) But if it's after dark I pick her up and I'll always be armed. From what I understand it's completely legal for me to be armed on campus while picking up or dropping someone off?

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If we were allowed to carry on campus school shootings would be less likely...or atleast resolved faster. The crazy ass kid doesn't care if he isn't allowed to carry illegally and shoot the place up. Why not let licensed responsible students carry as protection for others from these situations.

Top Bottom