• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Ok so, i went deer hunting for the first time two years ago. I did my hunters ed online class.. went out a few times, saw two bucks, but never got to take a shot. No big deal. But heres my issue....ive never been there when someone takes a deer, ive never cleaned a deer or had someone show me...ive watched a hundred how to videos, and it gave u instructions on the hunter ed course. ive also disected mammals (cat and pig) in high school. So i think i have an idea of what to do. But heres my question to all you who field dress deer each year. Do you think that if i actually kill a deer this year that i would be able to field dress it without an expert there with me? I am a competant individual who is good at following directions, but the last thing i want to do is ruin/waste a deer. Basically im asking if dressing a deer is as straight foward as people make it look on the videos, or is it something that i shouldnt do without help? If it is that tough, what would you guy recommend i do? is there some way i can get around this and still enjoy hunting season.. (fyi, if i knew someone who could take me out and show me i would have already done that. i am alone in this except for my buddy, weve got all the initiative and desire, just not the experience.)

let me know thanks

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    It is pretty straight forward. Basically concentrate on not cutting the inners inside the deer if you can help it. If it happens then it happens but it is best when it doesnt. You know all the internal organs so just make sure you get them all out. Also be sure to get the anal cavity out by cutting around, cutting pelvic bone, or using a butt out tool. Once you do the first one you will have no problem with the rest. You will learn by your mistakes. If you do get the inner parts all cut up the mess is easily cleaned out with a hose. Just concentrate on cutting what attaches all the guts to the body then do a quarter roll over to let them fall out. Very best of luck to you and update us it that time comes!!

added: If you are located in my neck of the woods I would gladly show you on one of mine or help you with yours.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    You can get it done. It's not rocket science.

And when you get down to the chest cavity, and reach in there to cut the wind pipe/etc, watch that you don't get your support hand in the way!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It's not as hard as you think. I basically learned it by watching on YouTube, went out, killed a doe and did it with no help in the field. Make notes and carry them with you or take a smartphone ;)

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I made a mistake this year. I forgot a bone saw. I found a hatchet at the cabin and split the pelvic bone. Also make sure you have a super sharp knife. Other than that it is easy. Good luck hope you get one.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Not hard at all! If you are around Indy PM me and I can give you a number. If you get one and need help I will be happy to. Good luck!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    it always helps to carry a couple pairs of rubber gloves too, just in case you don't want to have blood everywhere

But.. it's so warm and colorful...

OP, I learned to do it myself unassisted. If you bust something, it happens. Just wash it out with the hose. Make sure your knife is SHARP!! I've never used the butt out tool, but I have seen them, and know several people who use them.

When you pull the organs out, if you want the heart/liver, roll it onto a tarp so that those organs don't hit the ground.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    If you have seen it done on a vid, and followed the above advise from fellow posters you will be good to go. I was by myself this out there this year an hour away from home and I did cut my support hand pretty good so definately be careful with that. I did my first one back when i was in colleage (long time agon 1988) and it was pretty straight forward. It doesn't have to be perfect so just take your time and enjoy it especially if it gets real cold - the warmth feels real good :) I sure hope you get one. Oh and I had mine processed this year for the 1st time and boy that made my wife super happy and not cleaning up I will do that again unless i am hunting with other peeps and we do it together.

josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    I was in the same boat you are in until saturday morning. I got my first, luckily my cousin was there to walk me through the whole process including skinning and processing the deer. I found that it was pretty easy just take your time, and dont get into the guts.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OP, I was right there with you until this weekend. Now, I DID have some really good advice while I was gutting the deer, but you can get the same good and timely words from YouTube--I've checked in the past--which will suffice if you have a smartphone.

Obviously, getting the knife into the guts is a very bad idea, but I discovered another nice little tidbit that helps no end: roll the deer one way or the other to get the abdominal cavity to drain all the excess blood--it helps when you can see what you're getting into--or hopefully NOT getting into!! I had no problems simply cutting around the bunghole and removing the whole intestinal tract in one shot--no muss or fuss with cutting/breaking through the pelvis bones.

No matter how you do it, I wish you the best of luck in getting the deer in the first place, and hope you have a safe and pain-free time field dressing!!

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    My 2 cents is get a butt out tool , it makes the most unpleasant part not so unpleasant, put a bandana in your pack it comes in handy especially to cover your mouth and nose if you accidentally shoot to the back or cut something. Smell is a big part of overcoming the fear of field dressing. Eliminate the smell and the rest is just an anatomy project.

Go slow and cut away from your self and guide hand

Pull the inner tenderloins and get them baby's on a grill as soon as possible

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Ok so, i went deer hunting for the first time two years ago. I did my hunters ed online class.. went out a few times, saw two bucks, but never got to take a shot. No big deal. But heres my issue....ive never been there when someone takes a deer, ive never cleaned a deer or had someone show me...ive watched a hundred how to videos, and it gave u instructions on the hunter ed course. ive also disected mammals (cat and pig) in high school. So i think i have an idea of what to do. But heres my question to all you who field dress deer each year. Do you think that if i actually kill a deer this year that i would be able to field dress it without an expert there with me? I am a competant individual who is good at following directions, but the last thing i want to do is ruin/waste a deer. Basically im asking if dressing a deer is as straight foward as people make it look on the videos, or is it something that i shouldnt do without help? If it is that tough, what would you guy recommend i do? is there some way i can get around this and still enjoy hunting season.. (fyi, if i knew someone who could take me out and show me i would have already done that. i am alone in this except for my buddy, weve got all the initiative and desire, just not the experience.)

let me know thanks

yes just jump in and dig in up to the elbows;) you will do fine

Top Bottom